Dumbfuck in charge

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Dumbfuck in charge

Post by ousdahl »

Family and faith aren’t at play in any substantive sense, just in this rah rah sense, because...republican branding!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:55 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:49 am
NiceDC wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:13 am Won’t change anyone’s mind.
Because they don't really care. Not on a broad scale.

The Republican party has done a great job using empty platitudes about family and faith and character and all lives matter and such and such as fig leaves to give people wholly-superficial ways to forgive themselves for supporting policies and people that do not at all line up with those principles.
The GOP has done a great job at making the R after a candidate's name the same as KC in front of a sports team. I root for KC teams exclusively because I happened to be born at KU Med. They made politics as much of a sport as anything else, and Karl Rove just happens to be like Belichick, skirting the lines as much possible in order to keep winning. I think family and faith are less at play then people think, just because many actually religious folks I know find Trump and his ilk abhorrent, while church on two Sundays a month crowd are rooting hard for GOP, and don't care about actual positions.
This is well-said. Politics-as-team-sports is, as much as anything, a root cause of where we find ourselves.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Spot on.

Win at all costs.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^

Democrats might as well be broncos fans
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

KU Football. Just apathetic and can't get anyone worthwhile to lead the ship that is inspiring. But have some strong individual parts, but also cannot get out of its own way.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:21 am KU Football. Just apathetic and can't get anyone worthwhile to lead the ship that is inspiring. But have some strong individual parts, but also cannot get out of its own way.
Nah, way off. You have to find the team/organization that has every advantage, and yet shits down its leg constantly.

You're talking Cowboys, or Knicks, or Mets, etc.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Nevermind, misread the point of the comparison. Lemme think on this one.
Deleted User 318

Good point. I'm just apathetic with the last 11 years of KUFB HCing. And have the same apathy for 40% of the country burning down the house in order to own the libs.

Cowboys is a great example. All the right parts, all the right advantages, should be great on paper, but can never put it together.

Or maybe the Anaheim Angels.

Knicks and Mets are just New York teams, but haven't been managed well since the 70s and 80s.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

You know, maybe I wasn't actually so far off. I think you're looking for a team/organization that is fundamentally correct (let's say - has good players) - but is just so organizationally inept that it's consistently getting pantsed by savvier organizations. And repetitive shooting-oneself-in-the-dick matters, too.

76ers? (note the accumulation of talent, with no mind to how anything fits together)

Chargers? (note the general malaise component here)

Timberwolves? (see prior entries)

Falcons? (28-3)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think gop abandonment of principles, with general dem ineptitude, stems from the fact there’s really only one party left in Merica: the corporate party.

Isn’t that the tail wagging the dog/s that are both major parties? It just seems like so few real candidates or policies are advanced any more unless they pass some corporate smell test first. Or something.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:06 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:49 am

Because they don't really care. Not on a broad scale.

The Republican party has done a great job using empty platitudes about family and faith and character and all lives matter and such and such as fig leaves to give people wholly-superficial ways to forgive themselves for supporting policies and people that do not at all line up with those principles.
The GOP has done a great job at making the R after a candidate's name the same as KC in front of a sports team. I root for KC teams exclusively because I happened to be born at KU Med. They made politics as much of a sport as anything else, and Karl Rove just happens to be like Belichick, skirting the lines as much possible in order to keep winning. I think family and faith are less at play then people think, just because many actually religious folks I know find Trump and his ilk abhorrent, while church on two Sundays a month crowd are rooting hard for GOP, and don't care about actual positions.
This is well-said. Politics-as-team-sports is, as much as anything, a root cause of where we find ourselves.
Exactly.

Real question is how do we get away from this?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don't see a clear path. You'd need bilateral commitment from the parties, and also from the news networks.
Deleted User 310

Too much money to be made for that to ever happen when it comes to news networks...and too many people eat that shit up right now.

Voting for deserving candidates who have an allegiance to ALL the people they represent more than the party they represent is the best path...but also seems far fetched right now.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It also kinda sucks that any candidate who actually stands up for a particular policy or platform tends to be dismissed as a RaDiCaL!!!
Deleted User 318

Mjl wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:52 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:06 am
Exactly.

Real question is how do we get away from this?
More political parties that need to form a government each session instead two political parties and winner take all.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:04 am It also kinda sucks that any candidate who actually stands up for a particular policy or platform tends to be dismissed as a RaDiCaL!!!
I don't feel that way.

Who are you speaking of in particular? AOC comes to mind (on a smaller scale obviously) and tbh some of her ideas seem pretty radical to me... bernie is similar, not sure i consider him radical, just not always very realistic maybe?...i didn't find many of the dem candidates for president to be radical.

Klobuchar didn't seem radical to me. She had actual substance to her policy and platform....yang was maybe the most "radical" of the republicans?
Deleted User 318

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ignorant fuck
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I look forward to Woodward's book, to be released when Caesar's reopens the French Quarter as "the real Atlantis", amusingly relaying a conversation from September 2020 when Trump admits knowing client change is real and dangerous.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Just listen to this rambling embicile.

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/stat ... 69025?s=21
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦