Who is the GOAT

Kansas Basketball.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Re: Who is the GOAT

Post by InfiniteJ »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:35 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:24 pm I HATED Kobe, but I'd still take him over LeBron.
That says more about you than it does Kobe.
Indeed.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This argument goes nowhere.
The Jordan worshipers think he played against the toughest and best when in actuality the league is better today.
A lot of em just plug their ears and say LeBron sucks/flops/whines.

LeBron is a no doubt top 5 player all time.
I personally think it’s easy to place him 2nd right behind Jordan and he can still jump him with two more rings.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:01 am This argument goes nowhere.
The Jordan worshipers think he played against the toughest and best when in actuality the league is better today.
A lot of em just plug their ears and say LeBron sucks/flops/whines.

LeBron is a no doubt top 5 player all time.
I personally think it’s easy to place him 2nd right behind Jordan and he can still jump him with two more rings.
The league MAY be better today. I'm not saying it's not. I'm just curious as to why you and others make such a definitive statement and how one would go about proving it's a fact. Also, there are a lot of things to factor in when comparing players who played in different eras.
I don't plug my ears nor do I say LeBron sucks. He does flop and whine.
I have no problem saying LeBron may be the best player of all time already and like I said yesterday, I also feel he may not be in MY top 5 all time.
To me, wherever someone ranks LeBron (or Jordan or anyone else) it is 99.5% opinion, 0.5% "fact".
Like you said, "personally"......... "Personally" I put Jordan at #1 but I wouldn't tell someone they were wrong if they FELT Jordan wasn't and LeBron is.
Deleted User 880

I don't expect others to agree but I was just as impressed with LeBron's 2015 Playoff run.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

More popularity and money globally equals more competition to get into the league.

More advanced health routines, staff and technology equals more athletic peak players.

More film and history equals more moves to emulate and study.

Players would drink beers and smoke cigs at halftime in the past. Not happening today.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If the league remains popular, I expect it to continue to improve even in ways we dont agree with.

I'm talking body suits that help hydrate and prevent injuries. Wearable sensors in practice that help perfect shooting form. Surgeries and implants that might improve player movement.
Deleted User 880

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:50 am More popularity and money globally equals more competition to get into the league.

More advanced health routines, staff and technology equals more athletic peak players.

More film and history equals more moves to emulate and study.

Players would drink beers and smoke cigs at halftime in the past. Not happening today.
All great reasons why today's NBA may be the best NBA there has ever been.
Going back before Jordan, I'm someone who felt the 3 point line was a gimmick when it was first "introduced".
The 3 point line and defensive changes are huge factors to me on why the NBA is hard to decipher who is/was the greatest to play the game.
Sorry but I don't think Steph Curry wins an MVP award without the 3 point line. Just as I have to wonder what old timers may have been considered better players if there was a 3 point line when they played.
Deleted User 863

Fwiw there are maybe only like 5 players in the NBA today who i can think of that don't "flop and whine".

Also, the pre championship Bulls teams were the kings of whining to refs.
Deleted User 880

I'm not a smart guy. Is this an example of capitalism?
Regardless, I say it's an example of God Bless America and God Damn America at the same time. That's making a big assumption it was an American who sold it and an American who bought it.
What do you figure it cost to make and what was the original cost to the consumer who first "pulled it"?

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/04/26/lebro ... basketball
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I agree.
I don't think Curry would be anywhere close to MVP without the three point line.
Shaq would have cleaned up the late 90s to mid 2000s.
Deleted User 863

God damn America because some rich guy wanted to blow his money on a basketball card? To each their own.
Deleted User 880

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:13 am Fwiw there are maybe only like 5 players in the NBA today who i can think of that don't "flop and whine".

Also, the pre championship Bulls teams were the kings of whining to refs.
You're the guy who claims LeBron is bigger and stronger than "nearly everyone" who played in the 90s.
Big difference between flopping and whining occasionally and justifiably - and flopping and whining frequently and unjustifiably.
Not saying much/most of the time LeBron flops and whines it's not justifiable but I am saying it's hardly justifiable every time he does it.

When you say "pre championship teams", what years are you referring to? 89-90, 88-89, 87-88? Or the teams of the early 80s, late 70s, mid 70s, early 70s?
I'll actually agree with you that the late 80s Bulls teams whined often (I don't agree that they flopped often - and you didn't say they did) but like I said, there is a big difference between whining justifiably and unjustifiably.
Deleted User 880

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:15 am God damn America because some rich guy wanted to blow his money on a basketball card? To each their own.
I agree 100% to each their own but I say God damn America because off the top of my head......
1) It's so easy to manipulate markets. Many things from penny stocks, to art, and in this case - a collectible Basketball card.
2) Not saying the person who bought the card isn't charitable but we live in a country where people put a value on what is basically a piece of paper at 5.2 million while my guess is 15% of our population doesn't have $1000 to their name and struggle to survive.
3) In reference to #2, we are so obsessed as a society with wealth and fame and material possessions.

Yes, America is hardly the only country where what I stated above occurs.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:15 am I agree.
I don't think Curry would be anywhere close to MVP without the three point line.
Shaq would have cleaned up the late 90s to mid 2000s.
Umm. Shaq Did clean up late 90s to mid 2000s?
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Only one league MVP.
Deleted User 863

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Lebron is in 6th place with a sub 500 record and is bitching again. This time about a play in....bet he wouldn't give a shit if he were a higher seed. Steaming pile of elephant shit maybe....
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He’s right though.
The play in is dumb.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

It is...but its 1 game.