COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:07 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:00 am
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:55 am So to summarize.

Mich thinks the virus...errr fungus...is not a problem and we should stop talking about it.

Unless it's brought here by someone entering the country illegally. Then, and only then, is coronavirus a problem

for the folks.
The distinction as it applies to public health has never made sense to me. As if a piece of paper stating citizenship, visa-holder, etc. can change a person's ability to contract, transmit, or die from COVID.
Maybe his point is that it's more acceptable for a US citizen to spread the virus?

Similar to how some think it's more acceptable for vaccinated individuals to spread the virus.
It's not more "acceptable" for a vaccinated person to spread the virus, they did the responsible thing by making that occurence less likely.

And Mich has made it perfectly clear, time and again, that he's not worried about the virus anymore.

Also, why do you feel the need to speak for Mich?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

maybe we can vaxx them on the spot while we are giving them the orientation. during orientation when we are handing out the paperwork of where to go, how to enroll in the benefits, maps of where the best stuff is, hospitality grab bag of goodies, where to vote. vaxx them on the spot before we set them loose into the luxury.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:12 am Also, why do you feel the need to speak for Mich?
I didn't speak for MICH. Just trying to understand.
Deleted User 863

But imo, many do appear to think it is more acceptable for vaccinated people to spread the virus.

If certain indoor activities are unsafe due to likelihood of spreading the virus then those activities should probably not be allowed right now, right? Or if they are open proof of negative covid test in the last 24hrs would be more effective at reducing transmission than proof of vaccination would (because people who don't have the virus can't spread the virus, but vaccinated people who do have the virus can spread the virus).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:25 amBut imo, many do appear to think it is more acceptable for vaccinated people to spread the virus.
Correct. You are piecing together many people's separate opinions and drawing and creating your own conclusions therefrom in an attempt to make a message board zinger.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:25 am But imo, many do appear to think it is more acceptable for vaccinated people to spread the virus.

If certain indoor activities are unsafe due to likelihood of spreading the virus then those activities should probably not be allowed right now, right? Or if they are open proof of negative covid test in the last 24hrs would be more effective at reducing transmission than proof of vaccination would (because people who don't have the virus can't spread the virus, but vaccinated people who do have the virus can spread the virus).
It's just math man.

If the numbers are high, you're right, event's like indoor concerts probably shouldn't be held at all.

If the numbers are lower, it IS preferable to have people be vaccinated just from a mathematical standpoint.

Yes, vaccinated people can get infected and can spread the virus, but at a much lower rate.

The virus spreading through a population is like a spiderweb. People getting vaccines are like scissors cutting the connections in the web. The more people are vaccinnated the fewer of those connectsion there are. Now, delta means instead of cutting 4-5 connections maybe you cut 2-3...but it still reduces infections.

It's just like masks, if there are two people near each other transmission is likely, if one wears a mask, that rate drops significantly, if both wear masks that rate drops even more significantly. Same with vaccines, if everyone is inoculated, there are just fewer options for the virus to spread.

And, again, your take ignores things like hospital burdens, healthcare costs, possibility of dying. Basically, a vaccinated person isn't likely to require a hospital bed, a ventillator, or a coffin.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:28 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:25 amBut imo, many do appear to think it is more acceptable for vaccinated people to spread the virus.
Correct. You are piecing together many people's separate opinions and drawing and creating your own conclusions therefrom in an attempt to make a message board zinger.
I sincerely wasn't trying to make a messageboard zinger at all.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

sdoyel wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:58 am You guys know this KC Clown?

https://twitter.com/McKenzieMNelson/sta ... 62661?s=20
I think she is reporting what members of the public are saying at a hearing.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:00 pm

I hope so.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

My kid wore a mask all last year, still talks a zillion words a day with an advanced vocabulary and remains insanely social. Wearing a mask had zero change to her speech development and zero change to her socialization skills.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:43 am
Then you're just failing at drawing conclusions.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:11 pm

My kid wore a mask all last year, still talks a zillion words a day with an advanced vocabulary and remains insanely social. Wearing a mask had zero change to her speech development and zero change to her socialization skills.
so, more evidence that mich is either full of shit, or he’s got snowflake spawn
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:12 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:43 am

Then you're just failing at drawing conclusions.
No. You just don't agree with my conclusions.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:16 am maybe we can vaxx them on the spot while we are giving them the orientation. during orientation when we are handing out the paperwork of where to go, how to enroll in the benefits, maps of where the best stuff is, hospitality grab bag of goodies, where to vote. vaxx them on the spot before we set them loose into the luxury.
This, from a Kansas Crimson teat sucker. Ouch.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Devils advocate here:
The Chinese have been wearing masks for decades.
I can't understand a fucking word they say.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:11 pm

That's what we call anecdotal evidence. At least when we don't agree with it.

My kids sound similar to yours. They've done fine throughout the pandemic.

I posted in the kids thread looking for some of the experiences from parents around here.

I am sure plenty of kids have had less ideal experiences during this entire ordeal. There is no 1 size fits all experience or way to move forward, but i think unfortunately masks are the way to go for schools even though they present various issues for some kids. It's just something we have to live with and address in other ways.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:16 am maybe we can vaxx them on the spot while we are giving them the orientation. during orientation when we are handing out the paperwork of where to go, how to enroll in the benefits, maps of where the best stuff is, hospitality grab bag of goodies, where to vote. vaxx them on the spot before we set them loose into the luxury.
That grab bag of goodies:
1 McCain/Palin 2008 shirt-size S
1 Roll of aliminum foil roll
Instructions for craft hat construction
1 can 4Loko
6X8 signed portrait of Joel Osteen
Instructions for donations to Joel Osteen
Map of GOP donors who thrive off of illegal labor
Box of Tic Tacs
1 Jet Ski
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It is amazing how great life is when you refuse to accept evidence that you might be wrong. God obviously favors you when you are healthy. But like my lucky hoodie and nerf ball: Sometimes Georgia Tech wins anyway. How many of these anti-vaxxers will die before enough of them recoil in fear?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦