ousdahl

Re: More evidence that religious threads make you dum

Post by ousdahl »

makes you wonder just how much is lost in translation

https://twitter.com/propheticcenter/sta ... PLRfc8AXmQ
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:51 am makes you wonder just how much is lost in translation

https://twitter.com/propheticcenter/sta ... PLRfc8AXmQ
Makes me wonder why anyone treats it as more than a work of historical fiction.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I find much of the Bible to contain valuable moral lessons.

(Spoiler alert! For every Bible verse interpreted to condemn gay folks, there are hundreds of verses explicitly condemning Evil Rich People…among other gems)

But it’s a matter of focusing on that stuff, rather than focusing on the supernatural stuff, which indeed is closer to “historical fiction” than some universal lessons for the betterment of humanity)
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:17 am I find much of the Bible to contain valuable moral lessons.

(Spoiler alert! For every Bible verse interpreted to condemn gay folks, there are hundreds of verses explicitly condemning Evil Rich People…among other gems)

But it’s a matter of focusing on that stuff, rather than focusing on the supernatural stuff, which indeed is closer to “historical fiction” than some universal lessons for the betterment of humanity)
The Tao of Pooh contains some valuable moral lessons as well but I don't see anyone trying to pass laws that govern our citizens based on a translation of it's contents.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:17 am I find much of the Bible to contain valuable moral lessons.

I feel I got more meaningful valuable moral lessons from watching Mr. Roger's Neighborhood than I did from going to Temple and reading the Bible and Torah.
OOOPS! That's right! Fred Rodgers was a Presbyterian Minister. Perhaps I should convert to Presbyterianism?

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/26/11194887 ... gns-arabic
There are those who heed the warning "don't mess with Texas," and then there are those who do the exact opposite.

Activist Chaz Stevens is in the second group.

He's taking on a Texas law that requires public schools to display signs and posters with the national motto "In God We Trust" in "conspicuous places." The law requires that the signs were either donated or purchased from private donations to the school.

Stevens, who lives in Florida and is known for his petitions to local governments, heard of the law about a week ago and told NPR he was irritated by the move to bring religion — in this case, Christianity — into schools.

"That should be irritating for you, regardless of what God or not-God you believe in," he said.

As far as he could tell, there was no requirement that the motto be written in English. He decided to start a fundraising campaign to send posters to schools around the state with the motto written in Arabic instead.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I knew someone would troll this "law". That's allsome.
Defense. Rebounds.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Love it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeshiva University cancels all clubs after it was ordered to allow an LGBTQ group

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/17/11236381 ... lgbtq-club

might be pols boredy but asking here cuz I think it's some broader question yet:

at what point is religious freedom actually just bigotry?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

one test I've heard is whenever someone cries "religious freedom," ask - what rights are you being denied on the basis of your religion, that everyone else is being afforded?

Are you not allowed to marry someone cuz of your religion? Are you getting kicked off your partner's health insurance? Are you not allowed to use the same drinking fountain? Are you not allowed to gather in your churches to worship? What freedom is being infringed here?

And the other side of the coin - in the case of LGBTQ groups, where do their rights begin?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:16 am Yeshiva University cancels all clubs after it was ordered to allow an LGBTQ group

Right from the get go
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

^^^^^
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

ousdahl wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:16 am Yeshiva University cancels all clubs after it was ordered to allow an LGBTQ group

might be pols boredy but asking here cuz I think it's some broader question yet:

Many Orthodox and Hassidic Jews will tell you that Conservative and Reform Jews are not real Jews. That's fine with me when Yeshiva pulls sh*t like this. In fact, I'm honored being that I don't want to be considered a part of their narishkeit.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Don’t messages like this usually end with God wants you to send $$$? Someone has dropped the ball!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

O’h

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

"better to have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned"