F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by Sparko »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:16 pm How about this shit:

https://twitter.com/GottliebShow/status ... 5033426944

You mean to tell me that Zion's shoe deal would have been meaningfully less had he gone to UK, Kansas, UNC, etc.?

Shorts on backwards. Head up ass.
I think this is a tacit admission that ESPN hyped him ceaselessly because. Duke. And here is where a shouting match should erupt about the meaning of impermissible benefits.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Ah yes, but those benefits make other people money.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

New NCAA enforcement model contains glaring conflict of interest from the jump

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -the-jump/
Documents show that [former FBI director Louis] Freeh -- the controversial author of the report used to punish Penn State in the wake of Jerry Sandusky scandal -- has been angling since at least 2010 to do business with the NCAA. On Thursday, he began working for the NCAA.

Freeh is one of the 10 so-called independent investigators in the NCAA's new Complex Case Unit. The sweeping change to the NCAA enforcement model was recommended by the Rice Commission on College Basketball in the wake of its investigation into the Varsity Blues hoops scandal.

Five of the 16 persons on that new unit are employed by Freeh Group International Solutions. That's the same firm that was criticized for conflict of interest this year for soliciting NCAA business while conducting what was supposed to be independent review of Penn State in the Sandusky scandal.

[...]

The unit will hear only the most high-profile cases going forward with those found guilty by the Independent Resolution Panel having no chance to appeal.

No appeal?

That's another controversy for another time. We'll see how schools react to a final judgment on college matters from a 15-person group that includes exactly one college administrator -- Tennessee athletics director emeritus Joan Cronan.

[...]

In 2012, while the Penn State case was ongoing, PSU trustees pointed to the Court of Arbitration of Sports overturning a FIFA decision on a World Cup bribery scandal that was based on one of Freeh's investigations. The court said Freeh "did not sufficiently investigate" key evidence.

If you believe any of those criticisms, a discredited Freeh report was used to convict Penn State in arguably the biggest scandal in NCAA history. Now the author of that report and his company have essentially become partners in a different endeavor.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

The 2nd criteria isn’t so bad, but 1 & 3 feel high schoolish......
Deleted User 276

Post by Deleted User 276 »

Regardless of the incredibly silly criteria, this should be none of their business. Just another way to infringe upon their unpaid laborers basic rights unlike anything I've ever seen.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

The NCAA is opening up a huge can of worms that can do nothing but hurt their "organization".
You would think they would have decent legal advisors that would have told them how piss poor of an idea this is.
A "criteria" for an agent that includes a level of education, an actual time period in which they have to be certified, and actually be present to take an exam in Indianapolis? Seriously?
I can't want for the agents/reps to tell them to go fuck themselves and then tell the NCAA to try and take them to court over their fucked up "criteria".
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:10 pm The 2nd criteria isn’t so bad, but 1 & 3 feel high schoolish......
1 looks like a direct target at Rich Paul.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Of course there's no good reason for the NCAA to have rules for this (and this never should have been prohibited in the first place).
Deleted User 266

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:47 pm
Cascadia wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:10 pm The 2nd criteria isn’t so bad, but 1 & 3 feel high schoolish......
Yep, and if so, I hope Rich Paul tells them they can suck his "un-educated" ass.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/08/rich-p ... tion-draft
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:47 pm
Well, to be fair, Ruch Paul is a total douche.
Deleted User 276

JFC. You know nothing about Rich Paul. You hate him because you hate LeBron. You're so transparent.
Deleted User 266

You may be right that one of the reasons casca hates him is because he hates Lebron but my guess is casca knows more about Rich Paul than you do.
I also figure casca doesn't hate all the other guys Paul represents.

I think it's actually kind of humorous that LeBron has chimed in - being that he himself had nothing to do with the NCAA. Of course it's a lot to do with Rich Paul.

I admit my ignorance, who are these rules actually helping?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/284 ... nba-agents

P.S. I do realize the difference between agents representing current & former college athletes and CEOs of major corporations but I am left wondering if the NCAA would have an issue taking sponsorship money from a CEO of a company who never graduated from college, hasn't been the CEO of the company for at least 3 years, and doesn't come in to the NCAA office in Indianapolis to take an exam.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

These rules are "helping" the NCAA get chubby on being able to exercise control over players.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:35 pm JFC. You know nothing about Rich Paul. You hate him because you hate LeBron. You're so transparent.
To be fair, a lot of people hate Rich Paul and it has nothing to do with LeBron. Paul is a lot like Drew Rosenhaus in the fact he likes people to know he's the agent working on the deal and in some ways that might be more important to them than getting the deal itself. How many other agents are known by casual fans because they make headlines by going on morning talk shows?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NCAA's 'Rich Paul Rule' shows its contempt for basketball players

https://sports.yahoo.com/nca-as-rich-pa ... 07241.html
Elitist and paternalistic, controlling and confused, the NCAA has come up with some new rules for basketball agents who might represent a player contemplating turning pro.

[...]

[T]his speaks more toward the general feeling in college athletics that elite basketball players are dumb rubes who need to be protected … and anything that helps college coaches (who make millions off of them) control the process (and possibly keep them from the NBA) is a good thing.

The bachelor’s degree requirement alone is illogical. Getting a diploma has no correlation to whether someone can be a good agent, particularly whether someone can gather accurate draft information, which is the skill that is most germane to this situation.

It also doesn't signify business ethics. Neither does passing some test or having seven years of housing history or experience with the NBPA. There are an untold number of shady agents who had a wall full of degrees inside their lavish homes that bilked clients for money.

It’s hard to imagine any well-meaning group even coming up with such a concept. And some test taking in Indy? It’s bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy, regulations upon regulations.

[...]

There is also the fact the NCAA will argue to the ends of the federal court system that the players are not employees, just students who attend its schools and play on its teams. These are just amateurs, just volunteers. They are definitely not "workers."

Yet the same NCAA will place outrageous restrictions like this on them?

If someone is truly an amateur, then they should have more freedom, not less.

Instead, the NCAA acts like these amateurs should be protected from big, bad outside forces that want to cheat them. The NCAA doesn’t trust its own student-athletes and their families to make educated and rational choices for themselves. They need Daddy NCAA to do it for them.

[...]

Mainly though, this is backward thinking, and goes back to one thing – basketball players make the NCAA a lot of money.

Does the NCAA care this much about babysitting other athletes? Of course not.

Basketball players are only allowed to consider whether to enter the NBA draft before a set deadline and now they can only hire NCAA-approved people to help them make that decision.

[...]

This is some deep-seated stuff and the NCAA should look in the mirror on it, if only because the more restrictive rules don’t serve anyone’s interest except college basketball coaches who think the rule will give them a better chance of convincing a player to stay in school. Coaches want to deal with the agents they know and the NCAA’s new rules are designed to legitimize those agents while snuffing out up-and-comers.

Yet anyone who thinks college coaches always act in the best interest of their players, well, the Southern District of New York has some wiretaps for you to hear.

Rather than worry about bachelor’s degrees and standardized tests, the NCAA should afford basketball players the same rights as hockey players – let them see where they get drafted, if they are drafted at all, and then let them decide whether college basketball is the best option.

Never ban them. Never.

Besides bringing, or keeping, more talent in the college game, it would be a sign the NCAA actually respects the player’s intelligence, respects their family and respects the significance of a very difficult choice.

If it's good enough for hockey players why isn't it good enough for basketball players?

You don't need a bachelor’s degree to know the answer.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Paul1 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:14 pm The NCAA is opening up a huge can of worms that can do nothing but hurt their "organization".
You would think they would have decent legal advisors that would have told them how piss poor of an idea this is.
A "criteria" for an agent that includes a level of education, an actual time period in which they have to be certified, and actually be present to take an exam in Indianapolis? Seriously?
I can't want for the agents/reps to tell them to go fuck themselves and then tell the NCAA to try and take them to court over their fucked up "criteria".
They can tell the NCAA to go fuck themselves all they want. Then the ncaa will declare all of the student athletes they represent ineligible for future ncaa athletics.

But hey, at least they were tough guys and told the ncaa what's up...
Deleted User 276

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:00 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:35 pm JFC. You know nothing about Rich Paul. You hate him because you hate LeBron. You're so transparent.
To be fair, a lot of people hate Rich Paul and it has nothing to do with LeBron. Paul is a lot like Drew Rosenhaus in the fact he likes people to know he's the agent working on the deal and in some ways that might be more important to them than getting the deal itself. How many other agents are known by casual fans because they make headlines by going on morning talk shows?
Fair enough.

I didn't mean to be unfair to Cascadia if I wrongly assumed he hates him solely because he hates anything and everything that has to do with LeBron.

I'm not bothered by either of Rich Paul or Drew Rosenhaus. They're 2 of the top agents in their profession.

I was a little annoyed about the Rich Paul stuff surronding the Marcus Morris debacle, but sounds like that was more or less a miscalculation of the amount of interest there was for Marcus. Guess I don't know enough to draw a conclusion 1 way or the other since Marcus hasn't thrown him under the bus to the media yet.
Deleted User 276

twocoach wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:35 am
Paul1 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:14 pm The NCAA is opening up a huge can of worms that can do nothing but hurt their "organization".
They can tell the NCAA to go fuck themselves all they want. Then the ncaa will declare all of the student athletes they represent ineligible for future ncaa athletics.

Rich Paul will pay some assistant to take a bunch of university of Phoenix classes online to get a bullshit bachelor's degree and then rub it in the ncaa face hopefully.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:35 am

And that would be a double-down on yet another completely unnecessary exertion of control over the student athletes and their best interests.