COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
randylahey

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by randylahey »

We probably should just live our lives at this point. No reason to shut anything down. No reason to hide from covid the rest your life. Everyday 99 percent of the people that get covid are just fine. Same as always. Stop focusing on the negative
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This particular vapid talking point always leaves out the inevitability of mutations.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

randylahey wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:24 pm We probably should just live our lives at this point. No reason to shut anything down. No reason to hide from covid the rest your life. Everyday 99 percent of the people that get covid are just fine. Same as always. Stop focusing on the negative
you’ve been hiding?

sucks to be you
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:30 pm This particular vapid talking point always leaves out the inevitability of mutations.
That's true. But eradication is unlikely. So the possibility/inevitability of mutations will always exist. We've had how many in the 20 months covid has existed?

Hopefully as the world vaccination % continues to increase and the rest of us begin to get boosters we can reduce the amount of transmission going on around the world where most(all?) of the mutations/variants have been discovered.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:32 pm
randylahey wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:24 pm We probably should just live our lives at this point. No reason to shut anything down. No reason to hide from covid the rest your life. Everyday 99 percent of the people that get covid are just fine. Same as always. Stop focusing on the negative
you’ve been hiding?

sucks to be you
Can't say I've really changed much. Except for having to listen to and disagree with people that think we need to change our whole system, continue to wear masks, or mandate vaccinations
Deleted User 89

randylahey wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:16 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:32 pm
you’ve been hiding?

sucks to be you
Can't say I've really changed much. Except for having to listen to and disagree with people that think we need to change our whole system, continue to wear masks, or mandate vaccinations
huh...that sure doesn’t seem to be the case based on your posts
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:57 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:30 pm This particular vapid talking point always leaves out the inevitability of mutations.
That's true. But eradication is unlikely. So the possibility/inevitability of mutations will always exist. We've had how many in the 20 months covid has existed?

Hopefully as the world vaccination % continues to increase and the rest of us begin to get boosters we can reduce the amount of transmission going on around the world where most(all?) of the mutations/variants have been discovered.
Doesn't mean we should just stupidly let this thing bounce around when we have the tools to stop it.
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:30 pm when we have the tools to stop it.
Do we really? To stop it?

We have the tools to slow it and to reduce likelihood of serious illness and death. But we don't have the tools to stop it.

Much of the rest of the world (India, Africa, etc) have such a small % of their population vaccinated that we are sort of at the mercy of the rest of the world as far as mutations go. That is why WHO is urging us to send out vaccines rather than give our population boosters. Hopefully we do that and also can get enough doses ready for us to get our yearly booster shot too.

And fwiw, i don't think we are stupidly letting it bounce around. We are wearing masks, getting vaccinated, and socially distancing. Not 100% of us 100% of the time, but the majority of us are.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:11 pm And fwiw, i don't think we are stupidly letting it bounce around. We are wearing masks, getting vaccinated, and socially distancing. Not 100% of us 100% of the time, but the majority of us are.
I don’t think that there is a better way to characterize it other than that we’re stupidly letting it bounce around - at least a critical mass of a minority population. Unfortunately they constitute a majority in many locations
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Pdub and randy think surgeon's should get to choose if they want to practice aseptic technique or not. No one should FORCE them to be clean when they operate.

Illy will argue with this post regardless.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:11 pm

We have the tools to slow it and to reduce likelihood of serious illness and death. But we don't have the tools to stop it.

Much of the rest of the world (India, Africa, etc) have such a small % of their population vaccinated that we are sort of at the mercy of the rest of the world as far as mutations go. That is why WHO is urging us to send out vaccines rather than give our population boosters. Hopefully we do that and also can get enough doses ready for us to get our yearly booster shot too.

And fwiw, i don't think we are stupidly letting it bounce around. We are wearing masks, getting vaccinated, and socially distancing. Not 100% of us 100% of the time, but the majority of us are.
we absolutely have the tools, and we’ve had them on some level for quite some time

they aren’t being used, or applied equitably across the globe

many won’t agree that it’s “our” responsibility, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have the ability

we could be providing more actual vaccines, yes, but we could also be helping to improve cold-chain infrastructure, and even vaccine manufacturing itself...both of which would be immensely valuable when (not if) the next global pandemic surfaces

in the US this has become a pandemic of the vaccinated vs unvaccinated, but globally this is a pandemic of the rich vs the poor
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

zsn wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:22 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:11 pm And fwiw, i don't think we are stupidly letting it bounce around. We are wearing masks, getting vaccinated, and socially distancing. Not 100% of us 100% of the time, but the majority of us are.
I don’t think that there is a better way to characterize it other than that we’re stupidly letting it bounce around - at least a critical mass of a minority population. Unfortunately they constitute a majority in many locations
You just don't get the Illy approach. If something doesn't work 100% of the time, don't do it.

He quit showering when he found out you need to take booster showers every day or so.

He doesn't brush his teeth cause some people still get cavities, so why bother.

He stares at the sun ever since he found out blindness can occur for other reasons even if you try to not look at the sun directly.

Deleted User 863

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:26 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:11 pm

we absolutely have the tools, and we’ve had them on some level for quite some time
The key word was STOP.

I don't think we have the tools to "stop" it.
Deleted User 863

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:29 pm
You just don't get the Illy approach. If something doesn't work 100% of the time, don't do it.
You keep doing the strawman.

I didn't say don't try. We are trying. We should keep trying.

But we aren't going to STOP it.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Booster showers! Love it!! I’m going to steal this one
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

He quit showering when he found out you need to take booster showers every day or so.

He doesn't brush his teeth cause some people still get cavities, so why bother.

He stares at the sun ever since he found out blindness can occur for other reasons even if you try to not look at the sun directly.

okay. I giggled pretty hard...
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:41 pm

Polio didn't go away immediately either.

But it did have the advantage that it didn't have to overcome antivaxxers and Illy arguing EVERYTHING.

Deleted User 863

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:28 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:41 pm

Polio didn't go away immediately either.

But it did have the advantage that it didn't have to overcome antivaxxers and Illy arguing EVERYTHING.
https://time.com/5831740/polio-coronavirus-parallels/
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

At this point I’m done having any empathy for the residents of Texas, Florida and other States ruled by the Death Cultists. Just saw on the news that Texas passed a rule that schools are not required to inform parents of Covid infections in their schools.

Who knew that the way we get herd immunity is by thinning! Here’s your Darwin Award. You guys brought this on yourselves. Only request is that you do us all a favor stay within your borders. Call me elitist, call me whatever you want. I’m tired also. If you can’t prevent what is preventable then it is on you.