COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 863

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:04 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:59 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:56 am

I'm not to the point of keeping my 11-year-old home, but yes she'll get the shot immediately after it's available to her.
The fact my daughter did well with homeschooling makes the decision tougher.

For now we are sending them both. If shits starts getting bad and hospitals start filling up with kids then it'll be a wrap...hopefully we don't get to that point, but it seems like thats the path we are heading.
Mine doesn't like to read. So I need her to be in school, where she does so as a matter of course. Belongs in a different thread, but reading is a tough one because making her do it turns it into a punishment (with all that goes with that).

And yes, we do all of the things like encouraging different genres, rewards, etc. It just hasn't stuck yet.
No doubt. It's a challenge. My older one is easier. She likes reading and school stuff. My wife also works from home and my mom is retired who is our "babysitter" during the days my wife works and needs help, so that makes a huge difference (for us and the kids).....now my youngest, he'd be much more difficult more than likely, but he is only 4.

I empathize with households where both parents work full time out of the house. It's nearly impossible to come home from work and have the time (let alone the patience/energy) to do several hours of homeschooling.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:11 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:53 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:49 am from the Atlantic

... The family’s predicament is a microcosm of the dangerous and uncertain moment so many Americans face as the pandemic once again changes course. The COVID-19 vaccines have done an extraordinary job of stamping out disease and death. But as the hypertransmissible Delta variant hammers the United States, the greatest hardships are being taken on by the unvaccinated, a population that includes some 50 million children younger than age 12. Across the country, pediatric cases of COVID-19 are skyrocketing alongside cases among unimmunized adults; child hospitalizations have now reached an all-time pandemic high. In the last week of July, nearly 72,000 new coronavirus cases were reported in kids—almost a fifth of all total known infections in the U.S., and a rough doubling of the previous week’s stats. “It’s the biggest jump in the pandemic so far” among children, Lee Beers, the president of the American Academy of Pediatrics, told me. Last week, that same statistic climbed to nearly 94,000.

The most serious pediatric cases are among the pandemic’s worst to date. In the South, where communities have struggled to get shots into arms and enthusiasm for masks has been spotty, intensive-care units in children’s hospitals are filling to capacity. In several states, health workers say that kids—many of them previously completely healthy—are coming in sicker and deteriorating faster than ever before, with no obvious end in sight...
I'm no virologist, but I'd think there's a compounding danger in the virus bouncing around among kids.
yup, even from just prolonged exposure
And, the variants (and sub-variants) that are most robust against kids...will be the ones replicating the most.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Im debating keeping my kid home again.....but goddamn, shes so excited. Shes never been to school...she missed last year. Shes way ahead on school work but she needs interaction with kids, social settings etc. I dunno
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the children need to be in-person schooling.
Deleted User 863

This may be a question for PhD...but can't this virus also jump from people to animals and then back to people?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Close the zoos! Lock up your pets! Kill the cattle!
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:21 am the children need to be in-person schooling.
Then tell your Q friends to get the damn shot.
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:21 am Im debating keeping my kid home again.....but goddamn, shes so excited. Shes never been to school...she missed last year. Shes way ahead on school work but she needs interaction with kids, social settings etc. I dunno
Such a tough decision. Obviously schooling is important, but safety is always top priority. I am probably over protective of mine when it comes to certain things, but I can't help it.

Mine wanted to go back last year so we let her after keeping her home for part of the year when it was parents choice. It went fine. I think it'll probably go fine this year as well, but thinking isn't my strong suit.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:21 am This may be a question for PhD...but can't this virus also jump from people to animals and then back to people?
Further exacerbating the rural America problem.
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:22 am Close the zoos! Lock up your pets! Kill the cattle!
I think i saw somewhere that a zoo gave a tiger the vaccine? In Louisiana iirc.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:26 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:21 am This may be a question for PhD...but can't this virus also jump from people to animals and then back to people?
Jfc. You cant be serious. The risk of it jumping around in farm animals and coming back is so minimal its fucking silly. I guess you dont like food.....or you think food just appears in the grocery store prepackaged for you.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:29 am
Jfc. You cant be serious. The risk of it jumping around in farm animals and coming back is so minimal its fucking silly. I guess you dont like food.....or you think food just appears in the grocery store prepackaged for you.
Lulz, take it easy. It was a sheep humper joke.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:30 am

Lulz, take it easy. It was a sheep humper joke.
Your history of snobbishness makes your jokes easily confused.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the “back to people” part hasn’t been documented that i’ve seen

but yes, people to animal transmission is a thing...deer, other primates, cats, and probably the most publicized occurrence, mink
Deleted User 89

it’s silly until it happens

the chance if zoonotic spillover is always small...even smaller for it to result in a serious issue

yet, here we are
Deleted User 89

i should also add that the chance of covid jumping back to humans from an intermediate poses a serious enough concern for governmental bodies in the UK to warn about it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:42 am i should also add that the chance of covid jumping back to humans from an intermediate poses a serious enough concern for governmental bodies in the UK to warn about it
But it is possible that the UK doesn't like food.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

We should all hole up in a bunker and wait to die. Its over. This is it. Fuck climate change.....its my chickens that ended me.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Of all the legitimate concerns with covid it seems asinine to worry about something with such a miniscule threat and something that is essentially uncontrollable
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:47 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:42 am i should also add that the chance of covid jumping back to humans from an intermediate poses a serious enough concern for governmental bodies in the UK to warn about it
But it is possible that the UK doesn't like food.
Mmm, mutton pie...