COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:52 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:47 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:42 am i should also add that the chance of covid jumping back to humans from an intermediate poses a serious enough concern for governmental bodies in the UK to warn about it
But it is possible that the UK doesn't like food.
Mmm, mutton pie...
I saw Sweeney Todd, that ain't mutton.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:52 am Of all the legitimate concerns with covid it seems asinine to worry about something with such a miniscule threat and something that is essentially uncontrollable
except that mechanism is essentially why we have the pandemic in the first place

if anything, it should give even more justification for getting vaccinated and pressuring/convincing more people to do the same

i’ll be perfectly honest though, i told my wife more than a year ago that this thing could spiral out of control and kick humanity’s ass. now, i’m fairly well convinced that there is a limit to what covid can actually evolve into, but seeing the US and global response in this case gives me little comfort that the right lessons will be learned to better mitigate the next case (and make no mistake, there are more coming)
shindig

Post by shindig »

New corporate communications update regarding return to the workplace. Oh boy.

"With employee and community safety in mind, we are postponing the date to return remote workers to the office – we will not begin after Sept. 6 as previously planned. We will continue to monitor the data and follow up with employees in late October to announce a new anticipated return date. We will not return before Dec. 1".
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:22 am
TDub wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:52 am Of all the legitimate concerns with covid it seems asinine to worry about something with such a miniscule threat and something that is essentially uncontrollable
except that mechanism is essentially why we have the pandemic in the first place

if anything, it should give even more justification for getting vaccinated and pressuring/convincing more people to do the same

i’ll be perfectly honest though, i told my wife more than a year ago that this thing could spiral out of control and kick humanity’s ass. now, i’m fairly well convinced that there is a limit to what covid can actually evolve into, but seeing the US and global response in this case gives me little comfort that the right lessons will be learned to better mitigate the next case (and make no mistake, there are more coming)
Normal western farming practices is NOT how we ended up with this in the first place. Unsanitary, wet markets with a million of people and various exotic animals smashed together is how we ended up with this.....or it was heing studied in a lab...depending on who knows what....not standard western animal/human interaction.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

shindig wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:31 am New corporate communications update regarding return to the workplace. Oh boy.

"With employee and community safety in mind, we are postponing the date to return remote workers to the office – we will not begin after Sept. 6 as previously planned. We will continue to monitor the data and follow up with employees in late October to announce a new anticipated return date. We will not return before Dec. 1".
That sorta sounds like a win
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

TDub wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:33 am
shindig wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:31 am New corporate communications update regarding return to the workplace. Oh boy.

That sorta sounds like a win
It's going to be tough once we RTW. My routine now is so different and I have literally put maybe 1k miles on my car since March 2020. Crazy. I should have sold it and just bought a beater to run errands.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

This will change how office staff work for good i think. Goodbye class A office towers.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

A friend of mine and I spoke at the beginning of all this. He was not overly exercised, as he said he expected us to be done within a handful of generations anyway (why he's not having kids).

I laughed it off. "Spicy take, man."

The last 18 months has made me reconsider. I'm not sure I'd go with "handful of generations," but it is impossible to have any confidence right now that people are capable of the collective lift it's going to take on climate change.
Deleted User 89

Normal western farming practices is NOT how we ended up with this in the first place. Unsanitary, wet markets with a million of people and various exotic animals smashed together is how we ended up with this.....or it was heing studied in a lab...depending on who knows what....not standard western animal/human interaction.
zoonotic spillover is what i was referring to, not western farming/ranching

and there is ample evidence to suggest that the commercial meat industry may very well be the source of a future pandemic...crowded conditions, irresponsible use of antibiotics, etc

i’m not saying you support that part of the industry (i don’t think you do), but you can’t pretend it doesn’t exist and is a major component
Deleted User 89

jfish26 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:43 am

A friend of mine and I spoke at the beginning of all this. He was not overly exercised, as he said he expected us to be done within a handful of generations anyway (why he's not having kids).

I laughed it off. "Spicy take, man."

The last 18 months has made me reconsider. I'm not sure I'd go with "handful of generations," but it is impossible to have any confidence right now that people are capable of the collective lift it's going to take on climate change.
right

and the two (covid and climate change) are more connected than many want to believe
shindig

Post by shindig »

TDub wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:38 am This will change how office staff work for good i think. Goodbye class A office towers.
Kansas City is building a new 18 story class A office tower downtown right now. I bet a lot of these towers get converted to residential in the next decade or so.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:46 am

zoonotic spillover is what i was referring to, not western farming/ranching

and there is ample evidence to suggest that the commercial meat industry may very well be the source of a future pandemic...crowded conditions, irresponsible use of antibiotics, etc

i’m not saying you support that part of the industry (i don’t think you do), but you can’t pretend it doesn’t exist and is a major component
We need to do a better job of managing our meat raising. Particularly chicken and pigs. Can be done better with more small farms and leas large corporate operations.

Also could open up more, already empty, land for grazing. Spread them out a bit and gain the other benefits that allows... ;)
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

shindig wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:50 am
TDub wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:38 am This will change how office staff work for good i think. Goodbye class A office towers.
Kansas City is building a new 18 story class A office tower downtown right now. I bet a lot of these towers get converted to residential in the next decade or so.
They're still being built. Partially because these things are financed, designed, worked on years in advance and theyve already invested so much getting to the point of construction that it would be a net loss to halt. The actual construction on what you see being built is about 5 years behind what the market is calling for now.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Also could open up more, already empty, land for grazing. Spread them out a bit and gain the other benefits that allows... ;)
you just couldn’t help yourself, could you?

i actually thought of our conversation the other day while i was reading this review/perspective paper on biomimetics, and almost posted it in one of the other threads

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... E9361760E4

... The high protein and phosphate intake that accompanies the intake of red meat and animal-based foods are likely contributory. A recent study based on the Korean Genome and Epidemiology Study concluded that in the general population, a high-protein diet increases the risk of hyperfiltration and a rapid decline in renal function [99]. Thus, high-protein regimens including meat and other animal-based foods, such as the Atkins diet, to reduce the risk of obesity and diabetes may be bad for kidney health [100]...

humans didn’t evolve eating a constant supply of meat...thinking that we can, or should, have it with every meal is problematic for personal and environmental health

there’s a whole lot more to unpack from that paper, but the main point i took away is that diet, more so than any other factor, is the major contributor to poor health
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Weve been eating meat as often as possible since we became bipedal. When we had to hunt for every meal it, of course, resulted in less meat consumption....but it wasnt because we didnt want it. Hunter gatherers ate a variety if whatever they could find...but its not like they were turning down meat because they were worried about kidney function.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:12 pm Weve been eating meat as often as possible since we became bipedal. When we had to hunt for every meal it, of course, resulted in less meat consumption....but it wasnt because we didnt want it. Hunter gatherers ate a variety if whatever they could find...but its not like they were turning down meat because they were worried about kidney function.
want has nothing to do with it from an evolutionary perspective

our bodies evolved to accommodate the resources that were available. meat availability has outpaced our rate of metabolic adaptation

again, i’m not saying we should stop eating meat. i’m saying we need to get over this idea that we need it or have to have it for every meal

it would do our bodies and the environment wonders if we were to have it more sporadically
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

It's weather.com so I'm not sure how much they know about transmission but here is a link.

https://weather.com/health/coronavirus/ ... g-covid-19
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Goddamn hillbilly deer fuckers amirite
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

shindig wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:50 am
According to friend in KC acquisition/development biz, COVID has not and is not slowing it down. (I still think it will, though).

What was occurring before COVID--people increasingly moving to the cities--who knows if that trend continues after.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:26 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:12 pm Weve been eating meat as often as possible since we became bipedal. When we had to hunt for every meal it, of course, resulted in less meat consumption....but it wasnt because we didnt want it. Hunter gatherers ate a variety if whatever they could find...but its not like they were turning down meat because they were worried about kidney function.
want has nothing to do with it from an evolutionary perspective

our bodies evolved to accommodate the resources that were available. meat availability has outpaced our rate of metabolic adaptation

again, i’m not saying we should stop eating meat. i’m saying we need to get over this idea that we need it or have to have it for every meal

it would do our bodies and the environment wonders if we were to have it more sporadically
Seems more realistic for the immediate timeline to look at regulations over farming.

I have no idea what to do about climate change from a practical standpoint. What a huge problem that will take a global coalition.