Kansas Football.
PhDhawk

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:19 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:14 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:11 pm
but those big cities aren’t for everyone

and while those that you mention may be “cooler”, i think most people go where the work and cost of living suits them, above anything else
The number of college students that I deal with who make long term life decision based on staying close to home blows my fucking mind. I guess you could choose where to live for worse reasons, but staying close to mom just never seemed like a good reason to not pursue a great job or opportunity somewhere.
I can understand that family is important to people, especially if they are starting a family soon. But also, how much greater are these opportunities anyway? The majority of everyone in the world dies pretty close to where they were born.
I'm talking about temporary shit too though. Like, graduate school. Why settle for the local school when you have a better offer from some place even nicer.

I just accepted two masters students who I spent several months trying to convince they should go elsewhere so they could get a bigger graduate stipend and tuition paid for. "Nah, I'd like to stay near my folks."

I just want to be like, go out see the world, take the offer that's not only better, but also better financially, then if you want to come back you can.

Even just from the standpoint of making your resume look better it's the better move.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:31 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:14 pm The number of college students that I deal with who make long term life decision based on staying close to home blows my fucking mind. I guess you could choose where to live for worse reasons, but staying close to mom just never seemed like a good reason to not pursue a great job or opportunity somewhere.
I can understand that family is important to people, especially if they are starting a family soon. But also, how much greater are these opportunities anyway? The majority of everyone in the world dies pretty close to where they were born.
two years after leaving KU i make almost twice what i was making there, and with better benefits to boot

so, the benefits can be substantial

that said, i’ve definitely missed out on family things, particularly because of covid
I just tend to think it is a case-by-case basis thing. Being a lawyer is a pretty damn vanilla experience no matter where you are. On the other hand, my friend is a marine biologist that lives in Lawrence because his wife is tenured at KU--definitely now where he'd like to be.

And, you bring up COL. Making more money elsewhere likely has tradeoffs. I really think COL going forward is going to be like top 2-3 considerations in career searching. Why pay $4 per SF of rent or sit in 3 total hours of traffic per day in a post-covid work world.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

couldn’t agree more
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:32 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:14 pm The number of college students that I deal with who make long term life decision based on staying close to home blows my fucking mind. I guess you could choose where to live for worse reasons, but staying close to mom just never seemed like a good reason to not pursue a great job or opportunity somewhere.
I'm talking about temporary shit too though. Like, graduate school. Why settle for the local school when you have a better offer from some place even nicer.

I just accepted two masters students who I spent several months trying to convince they should go elsewhere so they could get a bigger graduate stipend and tuition paid for. "Nah, I'd like to stay near my folks."

I just want to be like, go out see the world, take the offer that's not only better, but also better financially, then if you want to come back you can.

Even just from the standpoint of making your resume look better it's the better move.
God, in that scenario you are absolutely right.That's just throwing away a no-risk great opportunity out the window. But, as you are aware, grad students as a group are some of the oddest people I have ever been around. Rivaled only by engineers.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

And of course there are degrees to leaving your hometown.

I grew up in the Black Hills, if you're not mining bentonite, ranching, or invovled in tourism, there's not a lot there for you. I knew I needed and wanted to leave. That's a different situation than a kid growing up in Olathe and then attending KU.

Almost all my friends felt the same way, and some only went to places like Denver and they are like an 8 hour drive from home. Which I guess is the best of both options. So, I'm not saying you HAVE to go far away from home, but I don't understand limiting oneself geographically in most cases.

Deleted User 89

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:32 pm

particularly for grad school, those priorities seem so short sighted

a lot can be said for having different academic influences...imo, you pick grad school based on 1) advisor, 2) dept. strength, 3) money, 4) geography
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:35 pm
And, you bring up COL. Making more money elsewhere likely has tradeoffs. I really think COL going forward is going to be like top 2-3 considerations in career searching. Why pay $4 per SF of rent or sit in 3 total hours of traffic per day in a post-covid work world.
This is a huge factor.

And not only that, but you sorta get grandfathered in. If you're from a middle class family in a poor part of the country, and you pack up and move some place expensive you're really putting yourself in a hole, it's not the same as someone whose middle class staying in a rich area.

That said, I learned so much living in different places and got so many different experiences. I still think it's worth it.

My So roommate at KU was from Newton and he used to say that he didn't think there was a reason to leave the state of Kansas (not to live, but ever). Which I thought was sad. I would say, "yeah, I guess not, unless, you wanted to see a mountain, or an ocean, or a lot of other things."

Deleted User 89

“My So roommate at KU was from Newton and he used to say that he didn't think there was a reason to leave the state of Kansas (not to live, but ever).”

i have in-laws in rural nebraska who say the same

some of the highest points in my life have been the result of travel, and have directly led to my current opportunities
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

jeebus. talk abt a thread-jack

buncha nerds.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

j/k
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But is he?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I am reaching out to the Ivy League. Princeton of the plains.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

It's the only destination that makes sense.

We'll take ISU, OKSU, and KSU ('cuz we're tethered).

Win-win
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Anybody hear what the KU AD is up to?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:47 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:35 pm
This is a huge factor.

And not only that, but you sorta get grandfathered in. If you're from a middle class family in a poor part of the country, and you pack up and move some place expensive you're really putting yourself in a hole, it's not the same as someone whose middle class staying in a rich area.

That said, I learned so much living in different places and got so many different experiences. I still think it's worth it.

My So roommate at KU was from Newton and he used to say that he didn't think there was a reason to leave the state of Kansas (not to live, but ever). Which I thought was sad. I would say, "yeah, I guess not, unless, you wanted to see a mountain, or an ocean, or a lot of other things."
You’re blowing my cover brah
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"My So roommate at KU...unless, you wanted to see a mountain..."

Uh, you were taking classes on a mountain, duh.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Lots of goodness in staying in Kansas. I have been all over the world and I like the Flint Hills as much as anything I have seen. I like walking Massachusetts Street getting coffee and books as much as anything. And the music was always nearby. I suppose the real difference is that when you are on the road, you are violating someone else's sacred space. They love to talk to you about how much better their home is than yours and you smile and accept that it is an argument not worth tendering. You forget the Rockchalk Lobsters and begin to get nostalgic to see the world of the plains like a giant bipedal Prairie dog. I don't expect the B1G understands.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Sparko wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:50 am Lots of goodness in staying in Kansas. I have been all over the world and I like the Flint Hills as much as anything I have seen. I like walking Massachusetts Street getting coffee and books as much as anything. And the music was always nearby. I suppose the real difference is that when you are on the road, you are violating someone else's sacred space. They love to talk to you about how much better their home is than yours and you smile and accept that it is an argument not worth tendering. You forget the Rockchalk Lobsters and begin to get nostalgic to see the world of the plains like a giant bipedal Prairie dog. I don't expect the B1G understands.
" I have been all over the world and I like the Flint Hills as much as anything I have seen."
What?!!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I love the prairie areas especially. Can see for miles of green grasses. My ancestors turned that sod and I feel at one with the land I suppose.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Grand Tetons
Niagara Falls
Royal Gorge
Any nice beach
Grand canyon
Smokey mountains
Yellowstone
Yosemite
The black hills

These are all amazing places just in the US. No one should confine themselves to one spot.