COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 863

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Deleted User 863 »

sdoyel wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:05 pm Can we give Abbott a nickname like his bro Deathsantis down in Fla?

https://twitter.com/the_old_rascal/stat ... 82721?s=21
Aren't republicans all about businesses rights?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:26 pm
sdoyel wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:05 pm Can we give Abbott a nickname like his bro Deathsantis down in Fla?

https://twitter.com/the_old_rascal/stat ... 82721?s=21
Aren't republicans all about businesses rights?
Conservatives are. Republicans aren’t. The latter are all about White Supremacy and nihilism
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Vaccine boosters at 8 months…

By then it will be FDA approved, so what will the next round of excuses be???
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 863

sdoyel wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:27 pm Vaccine boosters at 8 months…

What difference does it make what their excuse is? Get your booster and protect yourself. The majority of people in hospitals and dying are unvaccinated.

Half the country doesn't get flu shots either. Shots every 8 months means that even less people than the % currently vaccinated will keep getting boosters every 8 months. It's just reality.

2 weeks to bend the curve is now booster shots every 8 months. It is what it is. I will get mine. But I am not expecting some sizable shift in which people get vaccinated.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Not sure this is exactly what you’re saying, but I’m not expecting FDA approval to move the needle at all. The only things at this point that would seem to make a difference are people’s friends and family members dying (which is bad) and there being real-life lifestyle and convenience consequences to sillily refusing to get shots (of which there is not yet significant will).
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

A lot of the nurses my wife works with are refusing because of the approval status. I think that's an excuse and when it is approved, I doubt they will get it.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 863

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:20 am A lot of the nurses my wife works with are refusing because of the approval status. I think that's an excuse and when it is approved, I doubt they will get it.
I saw a poll basically backing up your theory. Some people who don't want it, likely non confrontational types, are trying to use more socially acceptable excuses for not getting it so that they avoid some of the negative judgements of others.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I saw some blurb saying that it’s interesting that people who have eaten hot dogs and McChicken all their lives refusing to take the vaccine because they don’t know what is in it!

People are inventive. They will find an excuse
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:19 am I saw some blurb saying that it’s interesting that people who have eaten hot dogs and McChicken all their lives refusing to take the vaccine because they don’t know what is in it!

What really gives away the game is that there's a ton of overlap between "people who wanted to take or took hydroxychloroquine" and "people who refuse to take the vaccine."
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:13 am

Not sure this is exactly what you’re saying, but I’m not expecting FDA approval to move the needle at all. The only things at this point that would seem to make a difference are people’s friends and family members dying (which is bad) and there being real-life lifestyle and convenience consequences to sillily refusing to get shots (of which there is not yet significant will).
i think full approval will move the needle on mandates among businesses, but agree that it won’t much affect people’s personal (selfish/ignorant) feelings
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:24 am
zsn wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:19 am I saw some blurb saying that it’s interesting that people who have eaten hot dogs and McChicken all their lives refusing to take the vaccine because they don’t know what is in it!

What really gives away the game is that there's a ton of overlap between "people who wanted to take or took hydroxychloroquine" and "people who refuse to take the vaccine."
No doubt.

This is the weirdest part of it all. It is a pandemic of bad politics.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Pandemic of bad politicis describes this situation. Far scarier than the virus lol. Did I read someone use the term kid killer for Abbott not allowing mask mandates? Lmao
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Do you guys think kids should have been wearing masks to school to help fight against the flu?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:12 am Do you guys think kids should have been wearing masks to school to help fight against the flu?
Yes.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:11 am Pandemic of bad politicis describes this situation.
You're basically describing Abbott and DeSantis exactly.

Don't want to implement a mask mandate? Fine. But don't make a mandate preventing businesses, school's, or individual govt offices from making their own decisions about it.

It goes against everything republicans stand for, and have been claiming to want for the past 18 months.

I mean, talk about people trying to use a pandemic for political gain and power, and there are no more eggregious examples.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:25 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:11 am Pandemic of bad politicis describes this situation.

Don't want to implement a mask mandate? Fine. But don't make a mandate preventing businesses, school's, or individual govt offices from making their own decisions about it.

It goes against everything republicans stand for, and have been claiming to want for the past 18 months.

I mean, talk about people trying to use a pandemic for political gain and power, and there are no more eggregious examples.
Because - shh! - there really is no motivating principle besides entrenching minority rule for as long as possible.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:33 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:25 am

Because - shh! - there really is no motivating principle besides entrenching minority rule for as long as possible.
You're right, own them libtards.

It's like what you posted before. People don't want vaccines because its associated with the other party. People would rather put their lives at risk and die than let the other side have something to brag about. Meanwhile, the same people terrified of vaccines that were rushed, have no problem taking experimental drugs or repurposed drugs after getting sick cause they're political candidate endorsed it.

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I was actually referring to people like Gavin newsom, Andrew Cuomo, etc. You know the covid tyrants. Abbott and DeSantis are actually really popular people right now and texas and Florida are too. It terrifies the democrats that people are realizing its time to end the bullshit and their power grab is coming to an end. Covid will go down as the biggest overreaction, over politicized event of the century. I hope at least. Sure can't possibly imagine a dumber situation the government could blow out of proportion worse and create more mass hysteria than this one we just lived through
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

If you're being intellectually honest, and you think mask mandates are manipulating the pandemic to your own benefit, than you have to admit the same is true of anti-mask mandates.

And unfortunately, more than 700,000 Americans are going to die from this pandemic. That number would have been significantly higher without any mitigation. The pandemic seems like it wasn't as bad as it could have been because it wasn't. Masks and social distancing did flatten the curve, and vaccines are incredibly effective.

Arguments can be had about the extent of mandates, the timing of them, etc. But if you saw what happened early on in Italy, and NYC and more recently in India, you see that mitigation efforts did matter...a lot.

Even with efforts, ~500 Americans die every day from covid. So, yeah, I actually can imagind dumber situations that the gov't could blow out of proportion.

sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:09 pm I was actually referring to people like Gavin newsom, Andrew Cuomo, etc. You know the covid tyrants. Abbott and DeSantis are actually really popular people right now and texas and Florida are too. It terrifies the democrats that people are realizing its time to end the bullshit and their power grab is coming to an end. Covid will go down as the biggest overreaction, over politicized event of the century. I hope at least. Sure can't possibly imagine a dumber situation the government could blow out of proportion worse and create more mass hysteria than this one we just lived through
Speak for your damn self. I'm in Texas, and the vast majority I know can't stand that turd Abbott. This goes back to his COMPLETE FAILURE this past Winter when the power grid failed.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦