F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: F the NCAA

Post by twocoach »

noosh wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:52 am
hartjack8 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 pm Of course, that’s part of the problem, too. Plenty of college coaches have long suspected Nike of being a puppet master, stocking a few preferred schools with top talent in an effort to create corporate-branded powerhouses that can rule March Madness.

I'm telling you it was CAL. Once he took over Kentucky he got everyone. Then Coach K woke up and said Fuck this and now he gets who ever he wants. Just go back and look at the classes you can see it. Kentucky was getting everyone and poof uh oh Duke gets everyone.

Yet we remain an Adidas school, can't get shit now in terms of overall comprehensiveness of a class, and we're stuck in the Fed fiasco while the Nike schools just laugh. Also, Nike shit is so much better and that's what kids want to wear because it's what the pros wear in this country. How KU hasn't figured out that the few extra bucks they make from Adidas are actually killing them in terms of lost revenue elsewhere is beyond me.
A few extra dollars from Nike? There is no way that Nike would pay us even close to what we get from Adidas. We'd be a second tier school for Nike.

Sorry, but I dont see real math on this alleged lost revenue you speak of. The lost revenue from a smaller Nike contract would need a huge influx of apparel to break even. I just dont see it. Nike would surely lowball us if we tried to ditch Adidas right now.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Paul1 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:19 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:47 am If Adidas was holding recruiting back, we would not have re-upped. We've also had the best run in the history of Kansas basketball with Adidas.

A close-second care of mine is fan gear, and Nike absolutely blows in that department. It's for kids and purple tater tots.
Right, because Adidas "fan gear" is so stellar.
In your opinion Nike might blow in the "fan gear" department but I (and dare I say most people?) feel it's > Adidas.
By a lot.
I think you vastly overestimate the number of adults who want to by officially licensed fam gear by the shoe company. I am fine with a random KU tshirt from wherever, provided that it is comfy and less than $20. I dont need a pair of $80 basketball shorts, thanks.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:40 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:47 am If Adidas was holding recruiting back, we would not have re-upped. We've also had the best run in the history of Kansas basketball with Adidas.

A close-second care of mine is fan gear, and Nike absolutely blows in that department. It's for kids and purple tater tots.
In your opinion Nike might blow in the "fan gear" department but I (and dare I say most people?) feel it's > Adidas.
By a lot.
I think you vastly overestimate the number of adults who want to by officially licensed fam gear by the shoe company. I am fine with a random KU tshirt from wherever, provided that it is comfy and less than $20. I dont need a pair of $80 basketball shorts, thanks.
You matter and so does your opinion but the truth is you and I can only speak for ourselves.
I'm not overestimating or underestimating being that I don't know the exact amount of money Nike makes from "fan gear" sales but if I were to estimate - I wouldn't be at all shocked if it topped a billion dollars annually worldwide. Whatever it is, it's nothing to sneeze at.
I can walk 6 blocks right now and walk in to the Nike store and buy different levels of "fan gear" ranging from $25 hats to over $200 jerseys. Plenty of people buy the stuff. Myself included.
There is a cool PSG jacket I was tempted to buy the other day. I didn't pull the trigger. The guy who was seemingly a tourist did and he bought a whole bunch of other PSG gear too. Seemed excessive to me (and probably to most other people) but perhaps well within his budget. To each their own. I work in a building and on a street where there are many high end retailers. No one needs to buy anything they sell. People do it because they like what they buy and can afford to buy it.
I respect that you are fine with a random KU tshirt from wherever, provided that it is comfy and less than $20, and that you dont need a pair of $80 basketball shorts.
I'm someone who prefers "authentic" and "licensed" "fan gear" and I willingly spend (many would say waste) the money they charge me. Again, as I too often say, to each their own.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

By a lot.
I would probably buy $80 pairs of every single set of game shorts we have, if they came with fucking pockets.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I just strongly doubt that the revenue increase on KU's cut on increased gear sales would come close to matching the revenue decrease in the smaller Nike contract.

More importantly, the folks who do have access to the exact dollar amounts (the athletic department) probably crunched the numbers during the big delay in signing the new Adidas contract and came to the same conclusion.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:41 pm

By a lot.
I would probably buy $80 pairs of every single set of game shorts we have, if they came with fucking pockets.
+1000000
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yup.
I don't exercise in basketball shorts, I lounge, and when I lounge I need pockets.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It blows my mind that you just cannot buy authentic shorts with pockets.

"But it's not authentic if they have pockets," only a looser would say.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what are you guys all doing in your pockets, anyway? while lounging?

hands where we can see em!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Phone for kcrim.
Keys and wallet if I gotta run an errand or pick up dinner.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

hang on - that's not lounging in basketball shorts, that's running errands in basketball shorts. (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

bro it's not like you need your wallet and keys to go to get another 40 outta the fridge. or get the bbq outta the crock pot.

but for real, mad props that your definition of lounging involves keeping your wallet and keys on you so you're always ready to go pick up Olive Garden to go.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Uber eats.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:24 pm It blows my mind that you just cannot buy authentic shorts with pockets.

"But it's not authentic if they have pockets," only a looser would say.
Define "authentic".
I have multiple pairs of "team issued" shorts that have pockets.
I am surprised they (Nike, Adidas, etc.) don't sell them to the public. Or do they and I am just not aware of it?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You dudes are in your early 20's.
Why do you want to be dads so bad?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:32 pm hang on - that's not lounging in basketball shorts, that's running errands in basketball shorts. (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

bro it's not like you need your wallet and keys to go to get another 40 outta the fridge. or get the bbq outta the crock pot.

but for real, mad props that your definition of lounging involves keeping your wallet and keys on you so you're always ready to go pick up Olive Garden to go.
Lounging I think entails after work, which usually doesn't involve keys or wallet, but does involve phone.
But it also very much entails weekends, which may be misusing the term 'lounging' but I may get home from work on a Friday night and determine the game plan which may mean picking up food - I need my wallet and keys for that - so give me shorts with pockets. And then I may remain in said shorts with pockets for part or all of the day following. I might mow the lawn in said shorts. I might go to the grocery store in said shorts. I may even go out to a casual lunch in the shorts.

Shorts without pockets, in my opinion, are only good for specific workouts ( i.e. running but not playing tennis ).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You mow the lawn in shorts?
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hell yes.
TDub