COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by PhDhawk »

I've been making smash burgers at home. I put the griddle on my grill, I make 2 ounce round patties, smash it flat with the spatula (this is fine if you do it immediately, the way you loose moisture is by pressing down during cooking with a patty) then adding cheese. I make double or triple cheeseburgers out of them since they're thin. Takes about 2 minutes to cook them if you get the grill super hot. (make sure your spatula doesn't have any slits in it.)
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:55 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:50 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:33 pm
Exactly. Oh, no, I had to eat it on my couch with a reasonably priced beer from my fridge instead of an overpriced one from a restaurant. The horror!
You mean, all the burger joints and stores that sell alcohol didn't all close up in our permanently ruined economy that young people are inheriting? The young people who have no future because our economy is damaged beyond ever being repaired.
One of the Mexican places we ordered take out from is selling 32 oz. Margaritas to go.
But the economy has been ruined. You trade them a chicken for those margs or something?

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:58 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:55 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:50 pm
You mean, all the burger joints and stores that sell alcohol didn't all close up in our permanently ruined economy that young people are inheriting? The young people who have no future because our economy is damaged beyond ever being repaired.
One of the Mexican places we ordered take out from is selling 32 oz. Margaritas to go.
But the economy has been ruined. You trade them a chicken for those margs or something?
I really miss my teenager. But the trade was worth it, those were damn good margaritas!
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

It's definitely rocked our country in a way we haven't seen in our lifetime. 50+ million unemployed, many jobs are not coming back, we may still have 20-30 million unemployed even in 2021. We've had massive money printing like we've never seen. To make things worse, we've had protests and riots based on a problem that doesn't exist. It may not destroy us, but it has altered our country for years to come.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Does this site have a beacon that attracts morons?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Geezer wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:41 pm Does this site have a beacon that attracts morons?
Do you include yourself when asking this question?
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:24 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:16 pm

You’re basing your argument on a hypothetical that you have no way of proving. We did lock down. We did cripple the economy. We did drive millions of younger people to suicide. We have stolen a future from millions more. And now you want more? You’re ridiculous.

My church was half full on Sunday, and at age 50, I was the second-youngest person there. All of the younger people were at home because they are afraid. Invariably, the people there talked about how, if it was their time to go, they were fine with that, but that living in fear and wasting one’s life hiding or expecting others to do so was ridiculous. My parents are in the later 70’s and are both out living their lives. I admire that.

I’m sorry you choose to live in fear and misery. It is no way to exist.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/tota ... ZL~ITA~GBR

We could have been over this. We could have been like other countries. We'd be closer to having our economy back. We'd be closer to having our lives back. Fewer people would have gotten sick. Fewer people would have died.
And what would we have to go back to? A ~1 to 2% death rate (and that’s being generous) is not worthy of this kind of response.
Obviously CFR is not the only important measure. The R0 (the average number of people who will contract a contagious disease from one person with that disease without taking any preventive measures) for SARS-Cov 2 is 5.7. That's 3 times higher than ebola and 4 times higher than the flu. Not only that but the community attack rate is much much higher than most infectious diseases, meaning it's particularly bad for public gatherings, as opposed to just being highly infectious within a dwelling.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32298246/
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0282_article

A 2% case fatality rate might seem low, but if tens of millions of Americans get it, it's much worse than an infectious disease with a 20% CFR that only a hundred people get because it's got a much lower R0.

HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:27 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:26 pm
Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:23 pm

Where did I say that? That wasn't what I said or my intention. I think everyone should take it seriously. My point was, I think we're well beyond the point of being able to contain it.
The best hope has always been herd immunity and better treatment. The rest is a political coup that has all but destroyed the country.
Good freaking grief. Our country hasn't been "all but destroyed". That's absurd.
Great Depression-level unemployment isn’t all but destroyed? Who knew?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:38 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:24 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/tota ... ZL~ITA~GBR

We could have been over this. We could have been like other countries. We'd be closer to having our economy back. We'd be closer to having our lives back. Fewer people would have gotten sick. Fewer people would have died.
And what would we have to go back to? A ~1 to 2% death rate (and that’s being generous) is not worthy of this kind of response.
We could have gone back to a country that had far less than 1.2 million active cases. But you were selfish.

We could have gone back to a country that didn't have 120,000 deaths. But you were worried about yourself.

It would have largely been over with by now, but because you only care about yourself, it is being dragged out. You're the one who got duped into thinking there was nothing that could be done. Look at South Korea, look at Italy, look at Spain, look at France, look at the UK who was actually behind us in implementing restrictions.

By not waiting, and not doing what scientifically makes sense you're making it so much worse. All you have to do is look at the curves from other countries. There's plenty of evidence.

You could have gotten what you wanted, but you couldn't wait. And now, it's worse for everyone and we're in a worse spot financially and we're further from being re-opened than we could be. You and yours have no one to blame but yourselves.
Don’t be a dupe. You’re smarter than that.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:02 pm It's definitely rocked our country in a way we haven't seen in our lifetime. 50+ million unemployed, many jobs are not coming back, we may still have 20-30 million unemployed even in 2021. We've had massive money printing like we've never seen. To make things worse, we've had protests and riots based on a problem that doesn't exist. It may not destroy us, but it has altered our country for years to come.
Help me out. We have had protests and riots for two very different things the past couple of months.
Can you please tell me what problem you feel doesn't exist that you are referring to?
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Grandma wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:18 pm
Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:02 pm It's definitely rocked our country in a way we haven't seen in our lifetime. 50+ million unemployed, many jobs are not coming back, we may still have 20-30 million unemployed even in 2021. We've had massive money printing like we've never seen. To make things worse, we've had protests and riots based on a problem that doesn't exist. It may not destroy us, but it has altered our country for years to come.
Help me out. We have had protests and riots for two very different things the past couple of months.
Can you please tell me what problem you feel doesn't exist that you are referring to?
Gutter, we already talked about this in the other thread. Does racism exist? Of course. Anyone could be a racist. Does it exist at the systemic level? I just don't see the evidence for that.

If they were protesting police brutality, I would support a peaceful protest. But people protesting something that just doesn't have the evidence to support it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:55 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:27 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:26 pm

The best hope has always been herd immunity and better treatment. The rest is a political coup that has all but destroyed the country.
Good freaking grief. Our country hasn't been "all but destroyed". That's absurd.
Great Depression-level unemployment isn’t all but destroyed? Who knew?
It's estimated that the unemployment rate during the Great Depression hit 24.9%.

We didnt hit 15%.

Don't be a drama queen.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

You're only going off the government numbers, which are not accurate at all.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:56 pm You're only going off the government numbers, which are not accurate at all.
Ah, well please enlighten us on the OAN "real numbers"...
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:33 pm
Gutter, we already talked about this in the other thread. Does racism exist? Of course. Anyone could be a racist. Does it exist at the systemic level? I just don't see the evidence for that.

If they were protesting police brutality, I would support a peaceful protest. But people protesting something that just doesn't have the evidence to support it.
I'll spare you and everyone else my thoughts.

Getting back to the topic of numbers, a friend of mine is throwing a birthday party for herself in the suburbs this evening. I know many people who are going. I'm going to guess there will be between 75-100 people. I'm not going and I still probably wouldn't have gone if the virus didn't exist.
It's being held at a restaurant that she is friends with the owner and the restaurant is closed to the public. Due to my curiosity, I called the Illinois Department of Public Health yesterday and I asked if during "Phase 3" (current phase in Illinois) is it legal or illegal to have a party of more than 50 people in a restaurant. The exact response was, "There is no law, there are guidelines".
Ok, so this is probably a dumb question but why are so many restaurants and businesses adhering to "guidelines" if they are not enforceable and there are no repercussions?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Grandma wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:04 pm
Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:33 pm

I'll spare you and everyone else my thoughts.

Getting back to the topic of numbers, a friend of mine is throwing a birthday party for herself in the suburbs this evening. I know many people who are going. I'm going to guess there will be between 75-100 people. I'm not going and I still probably wouldn't have gone if the virus didn't exist.
It's being held at a restaurant that she is friends with the owner and the restaurant is closed to the public. Due to my curiosity, I called the Illinois Department of Public Health yesterday and I asked if during "Phase 3" (current phase in Illinois) is it legal or illegal to have a party of more than 50 people in a restaurant. The exact response was, "There is no law, there are guidelines".
Ok, so this is probably a dumb question but why are so many restaurants and businesses adhering to "guidelines" if they are not enforceable and there are no repercussions?
because it's the right thing to do.

This just highlights what's so laughable about the paranoia surrounding this and how the gov't is controlling us.

Having guidelines are signs of an oppressive police state. Fucking "dupes".

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not only is it the right thing to do by their employees and customers (fellow human beings), it’s bad business to not follow sensible guidelines.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:00 pm
Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:56 pm You're only going off the government numbers, which are not accurate at all.
About 35%. Go to the 17:44 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f098i4FKpK0&t=644s
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think can be both problematic and progressive to have a country that doesn't fully force its citizens into doing exactly what they say, even in times of trauma.

The mix of what America is has caused turmoil but the range of expression should be understood as unique.

I wouldn't want extensive contact tracing because of privacy concerns. I also wouldn't want the government to come out and say, hey, do whatever you want, this isn't a big deal.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:17 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:00 pm
About 35%. Go to the 17:44 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f098i4FKpK0&t=644s
No f-ing way I launch that video on any device I own. Get serious.