SCOTUS

Ugh.
zsn
Contributor

Re: SCOTUS

Post by zsn »

Fish - Now, replace the word “gays” in your argument with, sequentially, Irish, Jews, Muslims, Blacks.

This is what I struggle with. One should have the right to broadcast their bigotry so that everyone knows that this person is a bigot. But when does that become a societal problem? What if said person is an emergency room physician in a small town?

I don’t think you’re necessarily wrong in your opinion, just exploring the boundaries.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:32 am Fish - Now, replace the word “gays” in your argument with, sequentially, Irish, Jews, Muslims, Blacks.

This is what I struggle with. One should have the right to broadcast their bigotry so that everyone knows that this person is a bigot. But when does that become a societal problem? What if said person is an emergency room physician in a small town?

I don’t think you’re necessarily wrong in your opinion, just exploring the boundaries.
It's an it-depends thing, unfortunately. Obviously there are "private" jobs one can have (you give a good example) where discrimination should be both (1) a mark of being a terrible person AND (2) illegal.

But for the same reasons I don't want someone else pushing their religion on me, there might be those who don't want me pushing my "wokeness" on them. If I go to a bakery and ask someone to make a joke King Griftalot parody cake to bring to a DIRTY LIB election results watch party, and that baker turns out to be randy and he turns down my money (even though he has eight installments of $17.76 left on his purchase of a pallet of Sarah Palin bookmarks), am I suing Randy for discriminating against me?

I am not.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

just heard someone call this the YOLO court

lol

sigh…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I don't think this was real (from the show) but it's still pretty good.

https://twitter.com/CalltoActivism/stat ... 8812750850
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: The best SCOTUS money can buy:

Crow was "leasing" his superyacht, from himself...

For years, the Billionaire was paying an average income tax rate of 15%. Typical of Billionaires, but less than many middle-income Americans. I paid > twice that rate last year!

AREN'T WE SICK of this shit, YET!

https://twitter.com/paulkiel/status/168 ... wsrc%5Etfw

For months, Harlan Crow and members of Congress have been engaged in a fight over whether the billionaire needs to divulge details about his gifts to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, including globe-trotting trips aboard his 162-foot yacht, the Michaela Rose.

Crow’s lawyer argues that Congress has no authority to probe the GOP donor’s generosity and that doing so violates a constitutional separation of powers between Congress and the Supreme Court.

Members of Congress say there are federal tax laws underlying their interest and a known propensity by the ultrarich to use their yachts to skirt those laws.

Tax data obtained by ProPublica provides a glimpse of what congressional investigators would find if Crow were to open his books to them. Crow’s voyages with Thomas, the data shows, contributed to a nice side benefit: They helped reduce Crow’s tax bill.

The rich, as we’ve reported, often deduct millions of dollars from their taxes related to buying and operating their jets and yachts. Crow followed that formula through a company that purported to charter his superyacht. But a closer examination of how Crow used the yacht raises questions about his compliance with the tax code, experts said. Despite Crow's representations to the IRS, ProPublica reporters could find no evidence that his yacht company was actually a profit-seeking business, as the law requires.

“Based on what information is available, this has the look of a textbook billionaire tax scam,” said Senate Finance Committee chair Ron Wyden, D-Ore. “These new details only raise more questions about Mr. Crow’s tax practices, which could begin to explain why he’s been stonewalling the Finance Committee’s investigation for months.”

...In order to claim these sorts of deductions, taxpayers must be engaged in a real business, one that’s actually trying to make a profit. If expenses dwarf revenues year after year, the IRS might conclude the activity is more of a hobby. That could lead to the deductions being disallowed, plus penalties. Nevertheless, the ultrawealthy often pass off their costly pastimes, like horse racing, as profit-seeking businesses. In doing so, they essentially dare the IRS to prove otherwise in an audit.

[...]
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

talk about a two-tiered system…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Feral wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:46 pm
Crow was "leasing" his superyacht, from himself...

For years, the Billionaire was paying an average income tax rate of 15%. Typical of Billionaires, but less than many middle-income Americans. I paid > twice that rate last year!

The rich, as we’ve reported, often deduct millions of dollars from their taxes related to buying and operating their jets and yachts. Crow followed that formula through a company that purported to charter his superyacht. But a closer examination of how Crow used the yacht raises questions about his compliance with the tax code, experts said. Despite Crow's representations to the IRS, ProPublica reporters could find no evidence that his yacht company was actually a profit-seeking business, as the law requires.

...In order to claim these sorts of deductions, taxpayers must be engaged in a real business, one that’s actually trying to make a profit. If expenses dwarf revenues year after year, the IRS might conclude the activity is more of a hobby.

[...][/i]
Are you fuckin kidding me? You want to take away the perks of being rich?

You bastard!

If you take away the perks it won't be any fun being rich any more. And then no one will want to be born rich any more.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

5 minutes ago #TYTsports #Sports #RickStrom
It's no secret that the Supreme Court has lost all of its credibility, but new revelations into Justice Clarence Thomas' conflicts of interest have opened up a can of worms for the Dallas Cowboys and owner Jerry Jones, among other elite members of society.

https://youtu.be/_8vb7wiT8Gg
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Randy and Psych will be along in 3……2……. to tell you that if you stop judges from having sugar daddies then the government will stop you from having sugar daddies.

Oh, yeah, I forgot…….Hunter Biden………..and……….BENGHAZI!!!!!!!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

"Of course Congress can regulate the Supreme Court. Congress funds the court. Congress has traditionally made changes to the court's structure and composition. Congress has historically made changes to the court's appellate jurisdiction. And there's a provision in the Constitution that says something like, 'The Supreme Court shall have appellate jurisdiction under regulations that Congress provides.' It just can't be that the Court is the only institution that somehow is not subject to any checks
and balances from anbody else. I mean, we're not imperial."

https://twitter.com/AmoneyResists/statu ... wsrc%5Etfw
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:01 am "Of course Congress can regulate the Supreme Court. Congress funds the court. Congress has traditionally made changes to the court's structure and composition. Congress has historically made changes to the court's appellate jurisdiction. And there's a provision in the Constitution that says something like, 'The Supreme Court shall have appellate jurisdiction under regulations that Congress provides.' It just can't be that the Court is the only institution that somehow is not subject to any checks
and balances from anbody else. I mean, we're not imperial."

https://twitter.com/AmoneyResists/statu ... wsrc%5Etfw
Echoes of the parties' approach to the other branches, too.

You may - reasonably! - disagree with much or even most of what the Ds do, from a policy standpoint. You may - somewhat reasonably! - think that present-day Rs are stronger, from a policy standpoint.

But the Ds sure carry themselves as caretakers, as stewards, much moreso than do the Rs.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Caretakers of a majority population that keeps being thwarted.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/08/politics ... index.html

"The Supreme Court on Tuesday agreed to freeze a lower court order that bars the government from regulating so-called ghost guns – untraceable homemade weapons – as firearms under federal law.

The brief order grants the Biden administration’s request to allow the regulations to remain in effect while legal challenges play out."
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:09 pm https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/08/politics ... index.html

"The Supreme Court on Tuesday agreed to freeze a lower court order that bars the government from regulating so-called ghost guns – untraceable homemade weapons – as firearms under federal law.

The brief order grants the Biden administration’s request to allow the regulations to remain in effect while legal challenges play out."
How woke of them!
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

The notion that you are not allowed to regulate ghost guns is fundamentally ignorant and an example of how far away from common sense this whole "but mah right's" BS can carry you.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:27 pm The notion that you are not allowed to regulate ghost guns is fundamentally ignorant and an example of how far away from common sense this whole "but mah right's" BS can carry you.
Why "regulate" them?

I heard Obama's going to take them all away anyway, right after Mexico pays for his wall.
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Wrong, they're in the re-purposed Walmarts that O'bummer was going to use for re-education camps. duh
Defense. Rebounds.