The Worst People in the World...

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: The Worst People in the World...

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:23 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:27 pm holy balls, just catching up on this thread!

the last way I expected it to end was with DC arguing with count.
Really? Then you havent been paying attention. The fact that you loop those two together explains a lot.
#reallynotreally

Different approaches, same results.

Chronic and widening income disparity with ever more concentration of wealth and power at the top with marginalization of the have nots to a Darwinian hellscape of chronic job, income, health care, and retirement instability.

#sameasiteverwas
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

About the 4:50 mark. Is that Derek Chauvin getting a little pumped up for Donnie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL98UR_UGT8
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:45 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:12 pm
No, you said "he was taught to do something similar but not taught well enough, which means that his department put him in a bad position and IT bears the brunt of the responsibility."

That's a statement about how he was trained, not a question about how he was trained. Those are two totally different things.

And thanks for the link to the five year old report. Really seems to have made a big difference in things since then....

Will you do me a favor? Explain the differences, in this context, between saying that he was trained to do something and asking if he was trained to something? You seem to think that holds the key to deciphering my position on this whole matter, and I think it's a distinction without a difference. So would you be kind enough to explain the critical difference, keeping in mind the fact that I know, for a fact, that in that situation, the appropriate restraint technique is to put the suspect on his stomach, hands behind his back, facing away from you, with the back knee essentially in his ear?

I'm curious not just what you think the difference is but also why it matters.
My brother was an MPD cop for ten years. He's walked the beat in question. He tends to view these things from the LEO perspective (which makes sense).

HIs texts to me yesterday: "Single worst thing I ever saw as related to police behavior. [...] I can understand and justify the first minute or two. The rest is unconscionable, especially when there were FOUR officers around. Glad they're all fired. The question now is if charges come in above murder 3 and manslaughter 2. The duration of the event, the victim's statements, and the crowd reactions suggest the charges could be higher."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The officer who killed George Floyd possibly ( likely unless it's photoshopped ) has been photographed wearing a hat that reads "Make America White Again".
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Does anyone know if it was the officer kneeling on his neck who was telling him to "get up"?

I had assumed it wasn't, but then heard from the "fake news" that it was.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

pdub wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:06 am The officer who killed George Floyd possibly ( likely unless it's photoshopped ) has been photographed wearing a hat that reads "Make America White Again".
He’s married to an Asian. For whatever that’s worth.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Grandma wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:40 am
pdub wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:06 am The officer who killed George Floyd possibly ( likely unless it's photoshopped ) has been photographed wearing a hat that reads "Make America White Again".
He’s married to an Asian. For whatever that’s worth.
So is Mitch McConnell.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I want to participate in this discussion, but don't even know where to begin.

So far I've read that the cops were investigating a nonviolent fraud allegation? And when they arrived the guy appeared to be intoxicated, and apparently "resisted arrest" but not otherwise reported to be violent. No weapons were reported.

so how does that justify use of force against Floyd? How did it get to that, with 4 cops around and the unarmed, resisting but not otherwise reported to be aggressive suspect of a fraud case, already in cuffs. Why didn't they just throw him in the back of a cruiser and sort out the rest from there?

and once they got him in cuffs, they reported he appeared to be suffering from "medical distress," and an ambulance was called.

so even if he did something to justify some use of force, how do you justify the sustained force - after he repeatedly says he can't breathe, and after he becomes unresponsive?

and if you reported "medical distress," how do you explain the lack of effort to administer any first aid? Why was this handled as a use-of-force situation instead of a medical emergency?

And you'd think a bunch of citizens expressing concerns and recording video might prompt some awareness. On a very basic CYA level, not a single cop stopped and thought, "you guys, let's not get caught up in the next Eric Garner situation." On an even more basic level, not one thought something like, "let's try not to kill him."

I'm guessing we'll get some version of the "fear for our lives" defense soon. Maybe we even get some bombshell evidence that totally justifies the use of force, initially. But I'm not sure how the sustained force is justified, or how the guy can still be perceived as a threat, once he's face down on the ground in cuffs.

big sigh.

how long til we learn the guy had weed in his system?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

there is video of when he was removed from his car...not any appearance of resistance
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Supposedly not him.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That's why I didn't post the photo - figured twitterverse is doing some manipulating at the moment.
Meawhile, protests in Minneapolis get heated.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:09 am there is video of when he was removed from his car...not any appearance of resistance
I think the points DC make are good ones that tie the department's ass in a civil suit and are not defending the LEO here.

But, it's hard to imagine there is video out there that is going to make it better for this group of LEO's. The sliding scale is what type of charges are filed here. The video was just too . . . long.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:59 am But I'm not sure how the sustained force is justified, or how the guy can still be perceived as a threat, once he's face down on the ground in cuffs.
It's not.
And that's why his firing was justified.
And now an investigation of whether he should be charged with a crime ( I think there's enough evidence just in the video alone to support a charge ) is underway.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

this is half tangential, but hopefully somebody who made it further in law school than I could clarify:

the difference between a murder 1 and murder 2 charge is, malice aforethought, right? As in, murder 2 is "spur of the moment" and murder 1 possesses some element of premeditation.

IIRC "premeditation" can be as simple as a chance to stop and second guess the situation, right? (ugh I wish I was phrasing that better).

Could a prosecutor argue that, during the course of the confrontation, the cop had a chance to stop and think, "man, my knee is on his neck and he's crying he can't breathe...now he's not even responsive!...but better just double down on the knee pressure," and frame it as some sort of premeditation?

what's the threshold for "spur of the moment" to become "malice aforethought?"
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:19 pm
seahawk wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:51 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:48 am

First, neither of us knows exactly what transpired before the video. We know he resisted, and we know he was big guy, which means that if he was still struggling, even cuffed he could have been potentially dangerous. In that situation, the cop would have been taught to do (almost) exactly what he did: make the guy face away from him and apply pressure until he complies. As I said, the knee should have been on the head, not the neck, for two reasons: it hurts more and it avoids the possibility of what happened.

MOST LEOS are so poorly trained in this stuff that it's frankly surprising we don't see more incidents like this.
Have you seen video of him resisting, DC? Because unless you have, you have no idea whether he resisted or not. I'll quote someone that was a prosecutor and a judge for 35 years, "The cops always say he resisted, no matter what."

And poorly trained, that is a lame excuse, even for you. It's not about training, brutal and racist cops just haven't caught up with the times and realized that all God's children got a cell phone and that when they see the police murdering people on the street, they pull them out and video stuff. Cops used to spend their time blaming everything on prosecutors and judges and paying no attention to training or rules. Now, citizens just upload the video and it's on the 6 o'clock news.

Oh, and DC, I've worked with good cops and know that they know the difference between brutal, murderous behavior and their average arrests. You insult all the decent police with your defense of these guys.
Cops used to spend their time blaming everything on prosecutors and judges and paying no attention to training or rules. Now, citizens just upload the video and it's on the 6 o'clock news....

You insult all the decent police....

Life comes at you fast?
Having lived in the Washington, DC area, for some years, I recognize your INSIDE THE BELTWAY mentality that believes that it should take more than 30 minutes out of the training you outlined above to explain, "Don't Kneel On a Suspect's Neck" and "If He Says He Can't Breath and Is Moving Less, Check To See If He's Dying." But knowing your Washington lobbyist mentality, you're figuring that this requires handing out some DOJ contract for millions of dollars to some Republican oriented K Street group you favor. At a time when the actual police are getting wages cut and laid off because of COVID-19.

Seems like I recall when your only interest in the police was cutting their pensions.

But when Trump says he's for the police, you have no choice but to follow right along.
Don't inject Lysol.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Knowing how police officers tend to skate by criminal punishment in the past, I wonder if you go after the officer with a lesser charge ( i.e. manslaughter ) with hopes that it sticks.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

My goodness.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

pdub wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:22 am That's why I didn't post the photo - figured twitterverse is doing some manipulating at the moment.
Meawhile, protests in Minneapolis get heated.
nah, but you went ahead and mentioned it, hoping...

Also?

Fuck you.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:33 am this is half tangential, but hopefully somebody who made it further in law school than I could clarify:

the difference between a murder 1 and murder 2 charge is, malice aforethought, right? As in, murder 2 is "spur of the moment" and murder 1 possesses some element of premeditation.

IIRC "premeditation" can be as simple as a chance to stop and second guess the situation, right? (ugh I wish I was phrasing that better).

Could a prosecutor argue that, during the course of the confrontation, the cop had a chance to stop and think, "man, my knee is on his neck and he's crying he can't breathe...now he's not even responsive!...but better just double down on the knee pressure," and frame it as some sort of premeditation?

what's the threshold for "spur of the moment" to become "malice aforethought?"
Starts at §609.18

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I wasn't hoping.