Chiefs 2021

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Chiefs 2021

Post by pdub »

I think we gotta go 5-0 to have any kind of chance at being home for our first playoff game.
@ WAS ( must )
@ TEN ( not as good as we thought but holy hell Henry will eat us alive )
v NY ( duh )
v GB ( will be really tough but GB's defense not scary )
@ LV ( yup )

Then it's Dallas in KC.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Joe Thuney fractured his hand tonight.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:04 am
I’m fully convinced that Reid is making all of the personnel decisions but Veach should also take a lot of the blame for his repeated misses on draft picks and FA signings. Creed and Bolton look good but everyone else has been strike out after strike out.
This. We should have David Montgomery, LJ Collier, Trevon Diggs, DK Metcalf and a really good FA safety with the money saved from not paying Clark.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:05 am I think we gotta go 5-0 to have any kind of chance at being home for our first playoff game.
@ WAS ( must )
@ TEN ( not as good as we thought but holy hell Henry will eat us alive )
v NY ( duh )
v GB ( will be really tough but GB's defense not scary )
@ LV ( yup )

Then it's Dallas in KC.
I wish I felt KC looks better than 3-2 in those 5 games but I dont. Time to log off.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Clyde, seems like the biggest miss thus far. Great third or fourth rounder but as a first rounder with all the needs this team has that looks like an absolute blow and whiff. This team has tried to draft defensively but they haven’t worked out whether that be because of lack of ability or a coordinator who won’t play you.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We shoulda drafted Diggs.
We needed a corner. He was the best available.
I wanted us to get him instead of CEH. And if we were gonna get a RB, I wanted Swift.

Imagine having a good cornerback who could intercept the ball and change the game.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CEH was a huge miss for sure.

I think in the macro, what you're seeing happen is how effective the NFL is at pushing teams to the middle. First place schedules are no joke. It's really hard to get impact guys picking in the 30s. And, while the stars-and-scrubs approach to roster-building is probably the right one, you're completely fucked if three of your top five cap hits - ~20% of the cap! - are some combination of unavailable and ineffective.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Want to know the scary part?
Mahomes structured his contract so it was only a 7 mill hit this season.
Its increasing to closer to 30 next.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:11 am CEH was a huge miss for sure.

I think in the macro, what you're seeing happen is how effective the NFL is at pushing teams to the middle. First place schedules are no joke. It's really hard to get impact guys picking in the 30s. And, while the stars-and-scrubs approach to roster-building is probably the right one, you're completely fucked if three of your top five cap hits - ~20% of the cap! - are some combination of unavailable and ineffective.
Yeah, you really need your young players on rookie contracts to be able to be productive so that you can have more than a small number of bigger contract guys.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

You wanna hope that this team will use this as motivation to push through. No reason why a roster this talented can't still make a run. Now, if they don't the reasons why are right in front of you.

Whiffed on multiple years of draft classes.
Over paid on multiple FAs.

If they look like they did last night against WFT Spags has to be gone. They need to make a change because there is zero excuse why a defense can regress this badly this quickly. At the very least you bench Hitch (I know that is a huge cap amount sitting) and Dirty Dan. Both of those guys are becoming a huge issue. Hitch, is slow and Dirty Dan might be even slower. Even worse for him he can't tackle anymore. You almost feel bad this staff continually puts this guy in spots like they do.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:32 am Want to know the scary part?
That doesn't concern me much. The cap should be going way up again after a year of Covid stagnation. And Mahomes is exactly the sort of guy you can justify.

What you can't have is Frank Clark taking up >13% of your cap to suck. But he will be gone, as will Hitchens.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:38 am You wanna hope that this team will use this as motivation to push through. No reason why a roster this talented can't still make a run. Now, if they don't the reasons why are right in front of you.

If they look like they did last night against WFT Spags has to be gone. They need to make a change because there is zero excuse why a defense can regress this badly this quickly. At the very least you bench Hitch (I know that is a huge cap amount sitting) and Dirty Dan. Both of those guys are becoming a huge issue. Hitch, is slow and Dirty Dan might be even slower. Even worse for him he can't tackle anymore. You almost feel bad this staff continually puts this guy in spots like they do.
The joke's an easy one, but my god, what pictures does Sorensen have? And of who? Doing what?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

It is almost criminal what they are doing to the Stormin' Moron. Yes, the coaching staff should all have their heads examined for brain injuries for who believes he gives them the best chance to win but if I was Dan I would strongly consider going to my position coach and asking why every week with their game plan they are putting me in situation after situation where I am going to fail.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:39 am
holidaysmore wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:38 am You wanna hope that this team will use this as motivation to push through. No reason why a roster this talented can't still make a run. Now, if they don't the reasons why are right in front of you.

The joke's an easy one, but my god, what pictures does Sorensen have? And of who? Doing what?
Or what did Thornhill do?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:38 am
That doesn't concern me much. The cap should be going way up again after a year of Covid stagnation. And Mahomes is exactly the sort of guy you can justify.

What you can't have is Frank Clark taking up >13% of your cap to suck. But he will be gone, as will Hitchens.
The contracts given out this last offseason make it clear that the owners fully expect the cap to skyrocket with the new TV deal. Mahomes's contract is fine. In fact, it will probably be increased.

Seems, though, that the cap issues could take the Chiefs out for this season. Mellinger was quite doom and gloom this morning. Wonder if there are locker room issues. It would make sense because they aren't this bad.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The Frank Clark deal was just so dumb from the get go.

Crippling in cost in two ways.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Looking at the play count. 57 snaps and Dirty Dan was in for a 100% of em. Spags, needs to go back to the drawing board because whatever it is they are trying aint working.

Locker room drama is interesting and wouldn't surprise me in the least. Ever since 15 became the starter it has been relatively 'easy' to be a Chief. Just about every bounce and break has went your way. Now, for the first time they aren't. We are going to find very quickly what the core of this team and franchise is really built like.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Several of the turnovers arent Mahomes fault. Our players need to catch the ball.

The one off the d edge in their red zone was a great play by their rookie ( and Niang has been having some containment issues) but Mahomes could have added more arc on the pass to avoid that completely.
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:50 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:38 am

The contracts given out this last offseason make it clear that the owners fully expect the cap to skyrocket with the new TV deal. Mahomes's contract is fine. In fact, it will probably be increased.

Seems, though, that the cap issues could take the Chiefs out for this season. Mellinger was quite doom and gloom this morning. Wonder if there are locker room issues. It would make sense because they aren't this bad.
It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and so on.

I know it's not a satisfying answer, but a whole lot of this really just is rotten luck. Rotten injury luck (exposing threadbare depth), rotten game luck (CEH really isn't a fumbler; at least three of Pat's turnovers were incredibly fluky).