GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 863

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Deleted User 863 »

The % of population that was really waiting simply for that is incredibly small, but hopefully that's still a few million people. I have my doubts though.

Trump telling people to get vaccinated at a rally and then getting booed is very telling. People don't like being told what to do. Very childish.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:22 am The % of population that was really waiting simply for that is incredibly small, but hopefully that's still a few million people. I have my doubts though.

Trump telling people to get vaccinated at a rally and then getting booed is very telling. People don't like being told what to do. Very childish.
I tended to agree that FDA approval wouldn't move the needle, but I read over the weekend that FDA approval would give businesses and schools and local governments etc. more cover on vaccine mandates. And that would make an enormous difference.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

^^^^^^
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:26 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:22 am The % of population that was really waiting simply for that is incredibly small, but hopefully that's still a few million people. I have my doubts though.

I tended to agree that FDA approval wouldn't move the needle, but I read over the weekend that FDA approval would give businesses and schools and local governments etc. more cover on vaccine mandates. And that would make an enormous difference.
Yes very good point. We need all 3 to get approval and then maybe that tactic will make a significant difference.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

My assumption is that the vast majority of people who claim they were waiting for full approval were lying. I hope to be proven wrong. We'll see if this changes much, especially in hit spots where things are really bad.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Of the people Mrs 99 works with, the major reason for not getting vaccinated is the approval status. At the very least, that excuse is no longer valid.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

It'll be interesting to see what the new excuse will be.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I would assume the Moderna approval will be happening soon as well?
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:31 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:26 am

Yes very good point. We need all 3 to get approval and then maybe that tactic will make a significant difference.
Just needed one approval to call out those who object on that basis. If you want an approved vaccine take the one that’s approved. Simple.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

at first, I thought I'd wait until full approval to get the vax.

I ended up getting it 4 months ago anyway.
Deleted User 863

I don't understand the whole waiting on FDA approval in the first place. Haven't things been approved by the FDA and then later changed or discovered negative side effects?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I think the people claiming they were waiting for FDA approval mostly fall into three categories.
1. Just making an excuse, will come up with new excuse. Won't get the shot.
2. Just making an excuse, but either convinced themselves that it was true after saying it enough or won't come up with a better excuse. Will get the shot.
3. Were being honest. Will get the shot.

My guess is group 1 is slightly bigger than 2 and 3 combined. And then there's the majority of anti-Covid-vaccine folks who never claimed that FDA approval was the major issue in the first place, which aren't represented here.

And this is ignoring JFish's point that it opens the door for more private companies mandating it, which I agree will have a much greater affect than the approval alone.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm not sure where the whole private employers can't mandate an emergency use vaccine notion came from--I had read it in the media as well. That's not true, though, they can still mandate an emergency use vax. However, full approval likely means less lawsuits challenging a mandate on that theory, which is not on the books anywhere.

Overall, not going to change much. These kooks think the FDA is in on the conspiracy.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Its good that a medical treatment people have already been using got approved. But again it doesn't really change anything. Just because something is approved doesn't mean everyone needs it and certainly doesn't justify mandates
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:55 am Overall, not going to change much. These kooks think the FDA is in on the conspiracy.
In a world where it's nearly impossible to keep a secret. Somehow every nurse, doctor, government official, and scientist in the world were able to plan and coordinate a global conspiracy with no leaks. Impressive.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:29 am I don't understand the whole waiting on FDA approval in the first place. Haven't things been approved by the FDA and then later changed or discovered negative side effects?
Precisely, thereby proving that it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

As Mjl pointed out for most it’s just an excuse, either honest ignorance or willful denial. For examples of your query look no further than Vioxx and several anti obesity drugs
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

...Given all that uncertainty, it's worrisome that humanity hasn't done a great job of limiting the spread of SARS-CoV-2, says Eugene Koonin, a researcher at the U.S. National Center for Biotechnology Information. Some dangerous variants may only be possible if the virus hits on a very rare, winning combination of mutations, he says. It might have to replicate an astronomical number of times to get there. “But with all these millions of infected people, it may very well find that combination.”

Indeed, Katzourakis adds, the past 20 months are a warning to never underestimate viral evolution. “Many still see Alpha and Delta as being as bad as things are ever going to get,” he says. “It would be wise to consider them as steps on a possible trajectory that may challenge our public health response further.”
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:55 am I'm not sure where the whole private employers can't mandate an emergency use vaccine notion came from--I had read it in the media as well. That's not true, though, they can still mandate an emergency use vax. However, full approval likely means less lawsuits challenging a mandate on that theory, which is not on the books anywhere.

Overall, not going to change much. These kooks think the FDA is in on the conspiracy.
It's not that they can't, but it might give some that were on the fence the extra reason to do so.