Weather

Coffee talk.
defixione
Contributor

Re: Weather

Post by defixione »

-3° here in Lawrence and we just lost our power. Evergy says it should be on by 2:00 tomorrow afternoon. Yay.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Stay safe. I have now made exit plans.

Meanwhile, KU is still having classes today . . .
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Located all our flashlights, charging up what can be charged, making sure the beer isn’t where it will freeze.
shindig

Post by shindig »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:38 am This stupid weather may well cost me a garage door. I can see more light than usual at the bottom of the door when closed, and the tracks/rails/whatever make a terrible screeching sound when it opens. Clearly the wood has contracted in the cold and it's pulling at the system.
Mine has been messing up as well. The rails are messed up or something. It goes down, then back up, then down, then it finally goes down again and stays. I put in a new steel garage door a few years ago (well my Dad and I did). Just another thing to fix come Spring, oh the joy of home ownership :)

Edit: When it warms a little (or even now if you want to get out, pull the rope and manually open the garage door, and get some garage door spray (get the white lithium grease).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

My 18 month old boy just walked out into the yard and disappeared haha. Had to go pull him out. Hes tall for his age and he just flat disappeared. Lotta snow, most snow ive seen at one time in 20 years (except up in the high mountains)
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Lotta sleet here. Prolly gonna havta drive Mrs 99 to work.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:47 pm My 18 month old boy just walked out into the yard and disappeared haha. Had to go pull him out. Hes tall for his age and he just flat disappeared. Lotta snow, most snow ive seen at one time in 20 years (except up in the high mountains)
tall for his age? what’s his wingspan?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

It’s all about hip height bro
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

23F and raining here. On top of 3" of sleet. Supposed to get 6 to 12 inches of snow on top of it all.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:46 pm 23F and raining here. On top of 3" of sleet. Supposed to get 6 to 12 inches of snow on top of it all.
Enjoy your living room.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Yeah, Mrs 99 signed up to work tonight. I drove her in after asking her if she was crazy. Gotta pick her up sometime between 7am an 9am. Snowing like a big dog now.

So we got a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice last week that has not melted, then 3 inches of sleet today, followed by freezing rain, now 6-12 inches of snow tonight.
Defense. Rebounds.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

8 degrees here currently. 3 inches of snow. This is unheard of for Texas...
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

sdoyel wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:09 pm 8 degrees here currently. 3 inches of snow. This is unheard of for Texas...
Rolling blackouts, my ass.
Since 4 am this morning, we have had 3.5 hours of power.

Our best friends, and my in laws live 1 mile from us in opposite directions....have had continuous power.

70s in Palm Springs
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Helicopter port on top of the hospital 2 blocks away.
They just turned on the lights for an arrival.
Snowing hard enough that at times I can't really see the building. Basically a white out.
I live on the 50th floor in the tallest building in the area.
They come in from the east and/or southeast.....It's been nice knowing you.
I can't imagine any sane pilot would be flying.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Probably a transplant, right? Not much time flexibility on that.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Could very well of been a transplant. Just no way anyone could/should have allowed a helicopter to fly in those conditions. I didn't stay in my living room to see if a helicopter did indeed land on the rooftop.
If it did, then I assume it was safely.

About a week ago there were snow drifts up to my waist near the lake. Supposedly we have had about 18 inches of snow since then. I'm going to go for a long walk in a couple of hours and check out to see how deep the snow is today.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

already shoveled once, but about ready for a second pass. supposed to snow off and on for at least the next 24 hours.

news said we’ve got the highest avalanche warning in the nation right now. 6 dead already this year, and authorities are advising no back-country skiing or snowmobiling.

i know this weather sucks for some of you, but i’m grateful...have been dreading fire season since we’re so far below “normal” precipitation levels.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dang.

Yeah, lots of avalanche casualties here in CO too.

Last weekend a snowmobiler got caught in a slide that spilled out onto a particular alpine lake that I spend a lot of time at in the summer.

Hope it doesn’t weird me out to be there any more, cuz that’s a good spot for skinny dipping in July.