Video Games

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Video Games

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:19 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:33 pm Kids got Oculus Quest 2 for Christmas. That shit is wild.
Is it good? I read a few bad reviews about the hardware etc... and got scared off it a bit. How old are your kids, can they figure out how to do the games?
They’re 13 and 10.

The 13 year old is pretty hardcore (think Arma or DCS vs CoD), and likes the more complex games like Onward.

The 10 year old plays things like Beat Saber, Fruit Ninja etc.

There is probably a battery cycle’s worth of learning curve as far as the menu, and what does what, but nothing insurmountable.

Probably the hardest thing as a parent is that you really can’t help a lot unless you go through the hoops of casting a screen to a phone or tablet or TV (so you can see what they see). But even then, you can’t really tell what buttons need to be pressed, or precisely how a wrist needs to be flicked, in order to accomplish something.

We’re pleased, but it would be very difficult if the kids were a notch or two below where they’re at, from a proficiency standpoint.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

powered by facebook, and requires you to be logged in?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:42 am powered by facebook, and requires you to be logged in?
Sort of.

As I understand it, the Facebook back end is what powers multiplayer. That said, I tied it to my Facebook account but the settings make it very easy to make it blind both ways (i.e., you can’t find me on Facebook by playing with the linked Oculus account (meaning, playing with my kids), and you can’t see the linked Oculus account through my Facebook account).

I’m obviously much more sensitive to the first of those things.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

My little one is 7 and very red headed in her impatience if not able to do stuff immediately so I might hold off. $300 to that is just $300 less towards my PS5 if I ever get my hands on one. Maybe Oculus 3 will be for me, we'll see.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:51 am My little one is 7 and very red headed in her impatience if not able to do stuff immediately so I might hold off. $300 to that is just $300 less towards my PS5 if I ever get my hands on one. Maybe Oculus 3 will be for me, we'll see.
Probably a good idea. It looks like they’re settling into an every other year hardware release, so that timeline lines up.

And I get what you’re saying!
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

Played Call of Duty for the first time in a while last night and found out that I am gay, apparently. I guess the next step is to come out to my parents?
Ain't no seats
Deleted User 89

gotta stay off the chats

i can’t stand listening to all the kiddies when i play online
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

My wife just got her Oculus a few days ago. It sure was nice knowing her.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Wiff wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:21 am Played Call of Duty for the first time in a while last night and found out that I am gay, apparently. I guess the next step is to come out to my parents?
Funny, any comment you make is immediately answered by a "suck my dick, faggot!!!!!"

Uhhh....strange request from someone so clearly straight
Last edited by Deleted User 62 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

College Football Video Games

ARE BACK
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I never understood why they didn't just license the logos, stadiums, chants etc. and then randomize the players looks/names/attributes...then simply allow for the public to create custom rosters able to be downloaded on the servers.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:29 am I never understood why they didn't just license the logos, stadiums, chants etc. and then randomize the players looks/names/attributes...then simply allow for the public to create custom rosters able to be downloaded on the servers.
Exactly what will be happening now. They worked with a Collegiate Licensing Company to get FBS schools, stadiums, traditions, uniforms and playbooks all in there. Right now over 100 FBS teams are in.

Going to be called EA Sports College Football because the NCAA ain't going to be on board with this. They have to be LIVID at all the schools that said yes, which is about all of them. But good for these schools. In a weird way, it's a small step in getting everyone to break away from the NCAA.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Need time to develop and perfect the gameplay so they are ready for when NIL gets passed.
Deleted User 89

hilarious that so many schools just flipped the ncaa the bird
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:29 am I never understood why they didn't just license the logos, stadiums, chants etc. and then randomize the players looks/names/attributes...then simply allow for the public to create custom rosters able to be downloaded on the servers.
This is really one of the most absurd things I've seen here, Politics board included. It's all here. In a tiny little post.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:26 pm
This is really one of the most absurd things I've seen here, Politics board included. It's all here. In a tiny little post.
Kurtis Townsend is like "you said it out loud?!"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:36 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:26 pm
Kurtis Townsend is like "you said it out loud?!"
Imagine, like, watching a bootleg, pirated movie instead of signing into your Netflix account (the one you already pay for) to watch a movie in 4K, simply because you know that the actors in the movie get residuals on Netflix viewings but not bootleg, pirated copies.

That would be a shitty, and self-defeating, thing to do!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Your constant crusade is why you’re foed.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:51 pm Your constant crusade is why you’re foed.
I'm foed because I'm consistent.

You're all over the place. You seem to root for the players in the GameStop thing, but the house on athlete compensation things.

What makes those situations different, at bottom?

I mean, this was your post:
I never understood why they didn't just license the logos, stadiums, chants etc. and then randomize the players looks/names/attributes...then simply allow for the public to create custom rosters able to be downloaded on the servers.
What you're saying is: (1) you know that college athlete NIL is a valuable asset, and (2) it seems perfectly common-sense and fine to you for EA/the NCAA/etc. to facilitate workarounds to avoid giving college athletes money in exchange for that admittedly-valuable asset.

What if the situation was, instead, that EA had acquired rights to the college athlete NIL, but not school names/marks/etc.? And EA created and sold a game with the real players and school colors (with generic school names/logos), but had game purchasers type in the school names and upload logos etc.?

KU and every other school would, justifiably and successfully, use its resources and power to sue the fucking bejeezus out of EA.

Would you say in that case that KU was in the wrong for wanting to be compensated for EA's use of KU's assets (its name, image and likeness, as it were) for EA's commercial gain?

You would not.

Nor would you say that the free publicity of being in the game was sufficient "compensation" for KU. Nor would you say that, for example, EA providing free copies of the game to every KU employee would be sufficient "compensation" for KU.

You would say that cash would be the fair way to compensate KU, or else EA should not be allowed to use KU's assets for EA's commercial gain. And that's precisely how it works for KU with respect to college sports games (and apparel, broadcast rights, and everything else). That's (broadly) how it works for the coaches and conferences also. But just not for the players!

Your position on this issue is not really morally/ethically defensible, which is (of course) why you've stopped trying to defend it. It's just something you, personally, like.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »