Udoka

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Udoka

Post by pdub »

If he were ( please god no ) to miss the rest of the season, would it make sense in anyway to apply for a medical redshirt?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Probably not. Self would have done it in his first year when he only played in 11 games due to tearing ligaments in his wrist.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Can you get a redshirt after 11 games?
Can you get a redshirt after 6.1 games?
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:06 am He plays early January. He is a proven healer. Kansas training staff one of the best in the nation.
His foot was kinked sideways momentarily (at the very least) in the video.

But I know you've got to be over the top....which IS better than being overly negative, but still silly.

We have no idea when he will play again. My guess is neither do doctors or our coaches, regardless of them being some of the best in the country.

If he was planning on turning pro after this year regardless of where he was projected to go (just speculating here) then it's entirely possible it's not in his best interests to return to playing at all this season so that he's as healthy as possible heading into draft stuff....I have no idea if that was his intention though.

And if it's not looking to turn pro early, and he's going to miss 15+ games at minimum, then yes a medical redshirt would be worth looking into. As pwhitt mentioned above.
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:19 am Can you get a redshirt after 11 games?
11 seems unlikely.

6.1 seems likely.

Isn't it like 20% of total games played for the season can be played in?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I mean, we'd all expect him to try and get to the pros when he can and staying at KU for even another year might be not something he wants to do, but if (againpleasegodno) it looks like a lost season, I don't see the harm in applying.
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:25 am I mean, we'd all expect him to try and get to the pros when he can and staying at KU for even another year might be not something he wants to do, but if (againpleasegodno) it looks like a lost season, I don't see the harm in applying.
Might as well. It does no harm and only helps protect him and his future.

If the prognosis ends up being something like he could be ready for conference tournaments then I'd still want them to consider it. Having him back could help, but we're likely to totally change our strategy/lineups with him out, so having to readjust with only a handful of games (single elimination style at that) could be risky as well. It'll be a tough call if that's what it comes down to.

I'm hoping it was not as bad as it looked somehow and he can get back on lonestars time line and only miss a couple conference games.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Unless he literally can’t play, you get him in the rotation somehow.

Even if it’s 60% Doke coming off the bench.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:25 am I mean, we'd all expect him to try and get to the pros when he can and staying at KU for even another year might be not something he wants to do, but if (againpleasegodno) it looks like a lost season, I don't see the harm in applying.
Uh, where?
Deleted User 75

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 am Unless he literally can’t play, you get him in the rotation somehow.

Ya you're right. Even though we looked okay without him last night, he's still one of our 3 best players....and as optimistic as I am about how we will look without him, I don't think we are actually "better" without our 7ft beast. He's a match up nightmare.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Some things run better without him. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t make us better.

We want to be full strength. That means play Silvio, too.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:23 am
pdub wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:19 am Can you get a redshirt after 11 games?
11 seems unlikely.

6.1 seems likely.

Isn't it like 20% of total games played for the season can be played in?
Has to be 30% or less of competition I believe. And the season has like 32 or 33 games or whatever. So he'd be right on that line I guess for 11 games.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

If this injury has a relatively short duration, and he gets back to 100% by February or so...maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

I know Dok needs work and needs to improve his game, but this gives other guys a chance to step up. It helps us work on playing more 4 out 1 in, gets McCormack (hopefully) more minutes, etc.

Dok's basically an unstoppable weapon (if he works on not forcing it and not picking up dumb fouls, which are admittedly enormous ifs). I think from the team standpoint, it will be an easier adjustment to add Dok back in than it is to play without him. So maybe this gives us a chance to refine how play without him.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If he's 100% at any time in February, beginning/middle/end, I think we'll be alright.
Maybe in the meantime, while in his boot, he can work on free throws 24/7.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 am Unless he literally can’t play, you get him in the rotation somehow.

Big Dok at 60-70% was a key to our victory over SH in the tourney last March.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:09 am A proven healer?
He sat out his entire freshman season after the injury.
What have the Romans done for us?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:01 am If he's 100% at any time in February, beginning/middle/end, I think we'll be alright.
Eh. He's had several years now to work on FTs. Sorry to say that train has left the station.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:53 am
pdub wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:01 am If he's 100% at any time in February, beginning/middle/end, I think we'll be alright.
Eh. He's had several years now to work on FTs. Sorry to say that train has left the station.
I dunno about that.

I think it went from being an entirely mechanical thing, to being a mostly mental thing.

His mechanics have improved a ton. I think now it's largely a mental thing, which is a new hurdle to get over.

I think it would help if the fans didn't make such a bid deal about it during the games (honestly). At the Tennessee game when he hit one the KU fans in my row celebrated more than when we won the game...It's tough to just focus on that when the crowd constantly reminds you.

Of course, maybe he's now in Chuck Knoblach territory and it doesn't get any better.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Just in general, Doke is already what he’s going to be. A couple of things to polish but he’s basically dominant at establishing position and finishing. Everything else is average to bad.

He is way better utilized when he’s playing with 4 other guards. Another block player is a bad fit and interrupts flow.

De Sousa will be way better at playing the hi low alongside Dedric. We also saw that he can play with 4 guards. Essentially he’s a little bit of a panacea and our team will be complete when he’s taking some of Dok and Mitch’s minutes. The rotations will make a lot more sense. Free him.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

A survey of physicians and athletic trainers who care for professional sports teams ranked injury to the syndesmosis as the most difficult foot and ankle injury to treat in professional athletes.11

Determining the extent and severity of the injury and predicting the time until an athlete can return to unrestricted sport activities remain significant challenges in the management of this common injury.16 Particularly challenging to caregivers and athletes alike is the unpredictable nature of the resolution of these injuries and the often-protracted time needed before return to athletic participation.

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas