Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Oh boy NIKE in trouble

Post by jfish26 »

Gqcolorado wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:51 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:09 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:00 pm
What we know is that changes could be made that result in different things happening such as shoe contracts and agents to college players and elite are recruits to the NBA. What we dont know is whether or not those changes would eliminate the rule breaking or just move the sport to new models of rule breaking.
Again: you would have trouble finding a neutral expert on markets and human psychology who thinks that throwing sunshine (and rules and disclosure and reporting) onto a black market is likely to make things worse.
Sure, but in the case of drug cartels, it could be easily argued that it’s making hem shift to products whose effects are much worse.
I have no doubt that the sorts of people who end up being middlemen and hangers-on would find their way to another scam.

(Puts on MICH hat)

My concern is college ball, and KU in particular. Whatever those leeches do elsewhere is not relevant to me.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Ah, I thought you were making a sweeping statement regarding the mechanics of a black market
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Don't worry about Duke, their investigation will show that they did nothing wrong...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
ArgentineHawk

Post by ArgentineHawk »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:56 pm Don't worry about Duke, their investigation will show that they did nothing wrong...
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... ourt-trial

Further, the NCAA’s ability to investigate Duke’s alleged hiring of Sharonda Simpson is complicated by the fact that Duke is a private university. Not only does that mean Duke is not subject to public records requests and state-imposed document retention policies, but unlike public universities, which are often required by state law to engage in competitive bidding for consulting services over a certain dollar threshold, Duke is only governed by its own internal rules (which do require competitive bidding in certain instances). The paper trail with any hiring of Simpson might not be extensive.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ohh so his mom got a “consulting” job?!

I dunno how much this Avenatti character can be trusted, but if that much is legit, at the very least it corroborates the allegations in the adidas trial that Zion’s camp was expecting a job for his family, among other terms?
Lonestarjayhawk

I don't think Avenatti is a trustworthy guy. But I never thought Adidas was bidding against Puma or UA. If Adidas gave a player $90k, it meant the Nike bid topped out at $85k
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:03 pm I don't think Avenatti is a trustworthy guy. But I never thought Adidas was bidding against Puma or UA. If Adidas gave a player $90k, it meant the Nike bid topped out at $85k
I think he is a dishonest jerk. Which makes it very likely he knows a lot of dishonest jerks, some of whom are involved in the dishonest behavior he is documenting.

You rarely get dirt on rule breaking from honest people. You get it from rule breakers.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I don't think they're bidding on players auction style where bids increase by 5k and are going back and forth from brands (too messy, and we've seen no evidence of it when we probably would have). I think there is sort of a known market and expectation of what certain types of players bring (Zion and Wiggins types would be outliers)...brands make their offers and/or parents make their requests. A lot of these guys are tied to a brand by the time they're in 8th grade. I'm sure there have been situations where 1 brand offers more than the other and that's the deciding influence....but we've seen former players admit they turned down more money from somewhere and gone somewhere else, presumably also for some money (Al Harrington recently shared his story)....seems like good players can expect to get anywhere from 25k-100k. Which is probably pretty fair and holds the families over nicely for a year or 2 until they turn pro officially.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:39 pm Ohh so his mom got a “consulting” job?!

I dunno how much this Avenatti character can be trusted, but if that much is legit, at the very least it corroborates the allegations in the adidas trial that Zion’s camp was expecting a job for his family, among other terms?
Well duh. Of course they were telling the truth. There would be no reason for Gasnolla to be lying to KT about what Zions camp wanted.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What’s the rules - I mean The Rules - have to say about what jobs for parents are admissible?
Lonestarjayhawk

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:38 pm I don't think they're bidding on players auction style where bids increase by 5k and are going back and forth from brands (too messy, and we've seen no evidence of it when we probably would have). I think there is sort of a known market and expectation of what certain types of players bring (Zion and Wiggins types would be outliers)...brands make their offers and/or parents make their requests. A lot of these guys are tied to a brand by the time they're in 8th grade. I'm sure there have been situations where 1 brand offers more than the other and that's the deciding influence....but we've seen former players admit they turned down more money from somewhere and gone somewhere else, presumably also for some money (Al Harrington recently shared his story)....seems like good players can expect to get anywhere from 25k-100k. Which is probably pretty fair and holds the families over nicely for a year or 2 until they turn pro officially.
Don't read everything so literally. Of course, it isn't like an EBAY auction. But there is back-and-forth communications with one shoe company having the final discussion.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
Lonestarjayhawk

ousdahl wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:27 pm What’s the rules - I mean The Rules - have to say about what jobs for parents are admissible?
big loopholes...especially if you are associated with an AAU Basketball team. Shoe companies can legally throw money at you. No bag men needed.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
noosh

Post by noosh »

LOL at "Nike in trouble"

SCOTUS appointee may have raped a chick, no one cares.
POTUS says he grabs chicks by the twat, no one cares.
Gunman shoots 30 first graders, no one cares.
Greatest athlete in history becomes a tranny, who cares.
Obama drone strikes school, no one cares.
This whole country is so fucked no one gonna blink is some shoe company giving some kid some skrizz.

KU is totally fucked because NCAA gonna make an example out of these adidas schools but the rest of the story is over. NO ONE CARES.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

So's your mom.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Wait....noosh is trustee?!
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
noosh

Post by noosh »

nah bro just noosh y'all know me been running these boards since rob curley and NAP and I built this shit up at the Urinal. the admin here banned me for 1 month for trawling which is funny as fuck because goddamn i seen some STOOOPID shit on here the past month but whatever just gonna keep it real and not fuck it up like when I wrote that script on DOTCOM that bumped up my post count. Fuyck where is LisaT I miss her goddamn. What about morgans? That dude holy shit
Lonestarjayhawk

Trying for a 6- or 12- month ban? You got my vote...this is the wrong board for you! Don't let let the door hit you on the ass as you noosh out of here...bye
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Here we go. Duke and Zion and Kentucky and .......Adidas paying players give me a break.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27 ... -zion-more
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I wonder what distinction the NCAA will/would draw between "evidence" of misconduct that surfaces in this proceeding versus the Adidas proceeding. I don't think any of it should be used, of course, but I struggle to figure out how you could use the Adidas stuff but not the Avenatti/Nike stuff.

The NCAA was not a party in interest in either case. To this point, the evidence really hasn't been tested or contextualized in either case.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Seems the other shoe is getting ready to drop.
Defense. Rebounds.