Kids

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 104

Re: Kids

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Don't have 'em if you have to put 'em in daycare the whole week.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:07 pm I know that people need things in a pinch, but I can't imagine why any parent would ever enter a grocery store for a stock-up trip in 2019.
What? What if you dont have a babysitter? What are you supposed to do? What if you're a single working parent who only has the option to shop for groceries after work or on weekend? What if your significant other is sick or pregnant and needs a break so the other parent takes the kid shopping?
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm guessing CnB is referring to either a. the food pick/drive-up options where you don't have to go into the store or b. food delivery options where the food comes to you.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

In 2019, you'd be hard-pressed to find a place in your area without those options.

Walmart has vehicle delivery. Orders over $100 come with a free assault rifle.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Not out there in Seboomook, Maine.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

My local walmart and Safeway dont offer those options. I'm not sure I'd use them even if they did because it seems utterly unnecessary and lazy to do so.

I would, however, utilize it at least once for the rifle option.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'm guessing there is also an added fee for such services that some people may be opposed to paying.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

No added fee. I'd be pretty shocked if your Walmart did not offer those solutions. It's a company thing, just like ship-to-store.

Is it lazy? Opinions may vary.

I don't use it. I'm also not lugging around kids. So I've never been in a position where I did not have a babysitter, or am only able to shop on nights or weekends, or had a sick significant other or pregnant wife that needs me to take kids with me.

If I did, I'll say it again, I don't know why I'd step foot in a grocery store with my kids in 2019.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

What if you didn't like Walmart?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Probably a quarter of my food budget is impulse buys.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I managed to get through it with a couple of kids. There is the infamous "discussion" in the wallyworld parking lot with my oldest. She was acting up and wanted a toy or something. I kept trying to distract her and calm her down but she was having none of it and eventually went into full temper tantrum. I took her out of the store and put her in her car seat and let her know what's what. I think the cart ride to the car put the fear of jeebus in her. Never too much trouble after that. When she would start fussing, I'd ask if she wanted to have another discussion. Worked every time.

Never did work with the youngest. We had many discussions. She didn't seem to care.
Defense. Rebounds.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Kids definitely suck, but parents are the worst. Lazy fuckers with no parenting skills pumping out kids by the half dozen
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:10 pm No added fee. I'd be pretty shocked if your Walmart did not offer those solutions. It's a company thing, just like ship-to-store.

Is it lazy? Opinions may vary.

I don't use it. I'm also not lugging around kids. So I've never been in a position where I did not have a babysitter, or am only able to shop on nights or weekends, or had a sick significant other or pregnant wife that needs me to take kids with me.

If I did, I'll say it again, I don't know why I'd step foot in a grocery store with my kids in 2019.
Your options and opinions may change if you have kids. Theres a lot of things I said I'd never do with kids until i had them and realized I'd have to find a way to make it work and get shit done. I have, however, walked out of the store with a crying kid sat in the truck for a calm down discussion before resuming our outing in a more respectful manner.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're not understanding. The point is that technology gives parents options that make things like grocery shopping easier for them.

Also, I used the caveat of stockup trips only, i.e. pre-planned trips. I did not think that a baseline of avoiding hassle and saving time would be such a controversial position. Especially for parents who tend to have so little of the latter.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

We don't end up taking the kids to the store very often. Usually, one of us will be able to run by the store on the way home from work (for dinner-type needs), and one of us will make a longer run (to the grocery store or Costco or both) over the weekend.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, would seem to be the ideal and first pick scenario.

Not to mention the opportunity to milk those solo-trips. Like ordering takeout from the Peanut.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:47 pm Yeah, would seem to be the ideal and first pick scenario.

Not to mention the opportunity to milk those solo-trips. Like ordering takeout from the Peanut.
No idea what you're talking about. I will say I am a much more effective shopper than my wife, when it comes to bringing home things I want.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I took the youngest to the grocery store with me every Saturday morning to give Minhin a break. They were pretty well behaved riding in the carts.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Have a former co-worker who recently popped (not pooped) out her 3rd kid.
I have met her two oldest kids and they are beautiful sweet children.
She took photos of her 7 year old reading to her youngest.
I love this photo (see below) and fully admit that it made me wish I had a couple of kids of my own.
I do realize that having children is not always happiness, rainbows, and unicorns.
Overall, kids are great.

shindig

Post by shindig »

I don't have any kids of my own, but I don't mind them. I have 3 nephews and a niece that I hang out with and watch sometimes. They're all good kids and well behaved. I kind of wish I had a couple kids, but my girlfriend of 3 years doesn't want any, so, it is what it is. I'm also 47, so not really wanting to change diapers and wipe drool at my age plus my nephews and niece are all between 9-15 now. But that pic by Paul is adorable.