2019 College Football Season

Kansas Football.
Cascadia

Re: 2019 College Football Season

Post by Cascadia »

A 4-8 season does a lot more for you in recruiting than 3-9 does. Easier to convince kids you are close to a bowl game
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Last years team was competing with Oklahoma. They have work to do but they MAY (!!!) be closer than we think. At least I hope we are. Les Miles needs to have or find a QB.
4-8 season but the losses are all competitive is generally an easier sale than 3-9 and you are clearly at the bottom of the basement.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Short on LBers and lost our monster on the D-Line.

We're going to have a hard time scoring enough points to win games but should play competitive.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:21 pm Short on LBers and lost our monster on the D-Line.

We're going to have a hard time scoring enough points to win games but should play competitive.
I think they are going to shorten the shit out of the games. Run the ball a lot with the 3 really good backs.

By doing that, should help with defensive stamina. But I do think that some of the freshman they brought in will play a lot on the defensive side of the ball.

They shouldn't lose many 50-10 type of games. Should be 45-20ish score to the OUs and Texas' instead from here on out with Les as the head guy.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I foresee that stopping the ball and getting 3 and outs as the biggest issue personnel wise. It's great that Les is our guy now for that weakness.

Our other big problem will be the air attack. Staff has yet to prove themselves there.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah that's true. The OC and Les have shown a tendency for balanced, if not run heavy offenses. I do think Emmitt Jones is a difference maker at WR. He helped establish some beasts at Tech.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Earliest the kid can sign is December but got a commitment from Brennon Scott, 4 star from Texas. Kid had an IMPRESSIVE, maybe to impressive offer list.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yep. Beating out Texas, USC, Oregon and Auburn is no joke. Have to hold on to him for just 4 1/2 months.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Watched some open practice clips and noticed we have six QBs, lol. Didn't know or realize that was the norm and looked on KSU's roster and they have six as well. Seems odd you would keep that many on a roster especially in KU's case when they are behind the eight ball on total number of scholarships.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Wouldn't think that more than 3, maybe 4 of them were on scholarship, though.

And, that said, seems we should have schollies to spare for this year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Would be great if one of those 6 could land the starting job and keep it all season.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

KU technically has 8 on their roster. Probably 6 of those on scholarship..

Think the order for 2019 goes this in terms of guys who will play:
MacVittie - Starter for the whole year IMO. Dual-threat and has size and talent.
Stanley - Could be in there periodically and Miles might like him, but just don't think he's got it
Kendrick - Saw what he could do last year. Did well in Rutgers game. Dual threat.
Miles - Barely played at UNC. But threw a 40 yards Hail Mary TD to end the half in a game.

A guy to watch out for in years to come could be Torry Locklin. 3 Star recruited to KU by Beaty. Grayshirt from 2018 class. Freshman 6ft 2 lefty. From those who attended spring practices, he stood out.

Kendrick still a sophomore due to 4 game redshirt rule. He played in 4 games, sat the rest and was able to keep a year of eligibility.

I actually think KU is pretty set at QB for the next few years. But still think Miles and Co will try to recruit and sign an at least 3-star QB every class.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I would make Kendrick a receiver. And then yell at him for not being Kerry Meier.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Thinking of that, it truly is remarkable at how good Kerry was as a WR. He was a QB from the day he first played. All-State QB in Kansas, brother was QB at kstate and Meier even had the looks of a QB, long hair, good size and a good arm.

Then comes Reesing who was the little engine that could and Kerry didn't want to leave, so he switched to WR and became probably the 2nd best WR Kansas has ever had behind Briscoe.

Crazy to think that KU had the 2 best WR in their history on the same team along with arguably the best QB has had at KU. Yes, I know KU had Nolan Cromwell, Bobby Douglass and others that were good, but none transcended the program and took it as high as it could go like Reesing did.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Bruce Adams and Emmitt Edwards were right there in 1973. That season turned on going for the win at Tennessee in game 4. Jaynes had the best arm I have seen at Memorial Stadium. And Kurt Knoff at safety made a hit I heard in the parking lot once, de-cleeting an OSU WR. Hoping to get back to that kind of consistency in a few years.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Anyone make it to the surplus sale or fan fest?
Holidaysmore - 2005
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

holidaysmore wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:06 pm Anyone make it to the surplus sale or fan fest?
I did, with my 11 year old son. First time we ever went. We got there about 11:45. There was a good size line waiting to go in. There was a bigger line of Williams fund members already inside waiting to check out. We didn't find anything we wanted but a lot of people did.

We came back to see the players. My son got autographs from all the players except special teams. All the players were very polite and appreciative of the fans that came out. We just missed getting Les' autograph.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

https://twitter.com/moneymayberry/statu ... 44810?s=21

Les seems to be having fun.

Again, don’t judge him on press conferences or interviews. Judge him on what he is like between the lines and in settings he’s comfortable with.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

#TheJayhawksAreComing
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

According to some betting sites KU is a 3.5 point favorite for the first matchup.

One of the main sites for that S&P has KU as a 10 point favorite.

The only thing I think hanging people up is that Indiana State is a preseason top-15 team in FCS after a 7-4 year. But teams rushed for almost 200 yards/game last year against them. KU should run all over them with Herbert and Dom Williams.