Hudy gone...

Kansas Basketball.
HouseDivided

Re: Hudy gone...

Post by HouseDivided »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:24 pm Group A is lazy. Not a criticism, just an observation that a KCAC track coach relayed to me!
Where did I use the word "lazy"? Lazy kids don't play MAYB and AAU basketball year-round, but the lack of variety and rest tears down their knees and hips and lower backs. These kids didn't come up with the idea that, if you're going to be an NBA player, you have to play basketball all weekend every weekend from the time you're six. Their parents did.

Kids didn't invent social media and mobile devices, nor do they purchase them. Their parents allow access. It is a cultural shift. This generation lives that way because my generation models it for them. They live this way because it is the way pretty much everybody lives.

If you disagree, fine. But there's no reason to put words in my mouth.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I’m criticizing your logic of the post I quoted. Not putting words in your mouth. I’ll gladly put forth different subjects to illustrate the fallacy.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:53 pm I’m criticizing your logic of the post I quoted. Not putting words in your mouth. I’ll gladly put forth different subjects to illustrate the fallacy.
I appreciate the opportunity to learn. I'm still waiting for a valid criticism of logic I actually used, rather than the logic you think or assume I am using.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Gqcolorado wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:46 am Using my own completely simplistic model, isn't interval training combining the two?

I had a heart attack in June, and now that i'm back to 'running', i feel stronger and perform longer at a much more fit level doing intervals, versus a singular pace or resistance.
Wait a minute, Galen you had a heart attack?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

^^^^^
GQ - WTF? Glad you're doing ok!

If anyone follows Hudy on Instagram, she's doing her thang at UT.
I'm sure Ram Nij is an excellent replacement but there was a strong bond the KU players (and coaching staff) had with her that he's going to have to try and replace.
Still not sure why she ran to UT when she had a great gig at KU. Yes, I get $ is often the main incentive to go somewhere else but do we know for sure she's getting more $ at UT?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

It’s been pretty well discussed that the new medical reporting guidelines that a Kansas has now were a big factor in Hudy and Grant leaving KU. Once they had to report to medical people, it took freedom out of their hands.

But one thing I will say, most of Hudy’s greatness was discovering computer systems that helped keep track of things. She didn’t create it, she implemented it and did some additional things off of that.

Most of that role is observing and keeping guys accountable while also being a great motivator. She was great at that. And I have no doubt that Ramsey Nijem can’t do the same.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

I got stopped by the paywall at KC Star, but you can see in the preview that Hudy is making $230,000 @ Tejas. I believe she was making around $200,000 @ KU. Definitely a raise, but maybe not as much of one as I had thought.
Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 9.06.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 9.06.38 AM.png (110.29 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

$30,000 raise plus the freedom to do whatever she wanted, which seems to be what she's getting at Texas.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Hudy didn't leave for the money.

I read a few weeks back that Nijem was thought of as a top 5 strength person in the NBA. The more pertinent question surrounding this issue which has been given an inordinate amount of discussion is: why would a highly regarded guy like Nijem leave the NBA for KU?

We aren't going to lose a single step.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Agreed.

Again, and as I stated when the news first broke, Hudy was a big deal because she was a woman kicking ass in a field dominated by men and the main focus for her was a top 3 basketball program where the focus and attention on the program was high.

Nijem is, from all accounts, a top notch basketball strength and performance guy. KU won't lose much if anything from this transition.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

No state income tax. Austin. Winter is now optional for her.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cost of living in Austin vs. Lawrence has to be about double, right?

Again, not that money had anything to do with it.

And, even though some may view Bill Self's time at KU to be more limited than thought a year ago, it's still probably more stable than hitching your wagon to Shaka.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:40 pm Cost of living in Austin vs. Lawrence has to be about double, right?

Again, not that money had anything to do with it.

And, even though some may view Bill Self's time at KU to be more limited than thought a year ago, it's still probably more stable than hitching your wagon to Shaka.
The lack of state income tax is by far offset by the general COL in Austin.
That city is 10 years past affordable.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yep. Plus state taxes in Kansas are very low, and as Self has proven, easily avoidable.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Well. We played 3 games in less than 3 days. Two guys played 45 minutes in the third game and didn't seem gassed. Dok seems well conditioned. I'd say so far so good for the new S&C crew.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:09 pm Well. We played 3 games in less than 3 days. Two guys played 45 minutes in the third game and didn't seem gassed. Dok seems well conditioned. I'd say so far so good for the new S&C crew.
Good point.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

dok is hands down in the best shape of his life. so is DMac. all our dudes seem in pretty top shape. our new guy was working with professional basketball players before this though so no surprises

nothing against hudy. she did a good job. but i think she was overated based solely on the fact that she was a women in whats typically a mans position and its 2019
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Quit taking my stance on this. Said that from the day she left.

Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:21 pm nothing against hudy. she did a good job. but i think she was overated based solely on the fact that she was a women in whats typically a mans position and its 2019
Careful. You'll offend the feminists on here.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Is there any good reason to be either pro or anti Hudy? Seems like she did a good job at KU, decided to take on a new opportunity and we hired a suitable replacement.

What’s the problem here?