"Get away" trips.

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: "Get away" trips.

Post by pdub »

When I was 7 or 8.
Few memories:
Saw Old Faithful, which at the time seemed really cool, but I imagine its drowned in tourists now.
Saw bears. Buffalo walked in front of our car.
I stepped on what I thought was a big rock and it was actually a dried buffalo patty.
Stopped at a restaurant/convenience store in Montana and was told I couldn't get an Incredible Hulk comic book on the stands for 75 cents which I thought was some serious bullshit.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cool. I was there about a decade ago.

Yeah, old faithful is a sad tourist trap. My traveling companion was being a looser and insisting on seeing it. So we file into the rows of bleachers surrounding it and wait. And wait. And wait. It was running late that day. Meanwhile, this other geyser a half mile down the road was going apeshit. I said bro let’s just go check that one out, screw this tourist trap. But he insisted. Finally, it sputtered for about 10 seconds and was over. The throngs of y’all file out of the bleachers and toward the gift shop for t shirts. Laaaame.

Then we backpacked to Grebe Lake, about 4 miles in. Caught rainbow trout and grayling, one of the coolest fish in North America.

The backcountry campsites feature a tent spot 100 yards away from the campfire and food tree, to separate the sleeping spot from the cooking spot, because bears.

We were walking from the fire back to the tents when I sweep my flashlight across the meadow in between. I see a pair of eyes. I tell bro and we watch to see what it is. Turns out it’s a mule deer.

DONT DO THAT! My buddy screams.

Do what?

Don’t scare me like that! I thought that was a bear!

Okay bro, if I see a bear then I’ll be sure not to tell you.

Fortunately beav is less of a pussy than that guy. Better fisherman too.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Several times, but not since I was like 17.

Mammoth Springs was my favorite stop. Lots of hikes.
First time I went was when you could still feed the bears. I was probably 8 or 9. It was a huge selling point. "Come to Yellowstone and feed the bears." I got too close to a cub and got chased off by momma bear.

Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is super cool. Geyser basins are a must.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

haven’t been to yellowstone in the fall, but...

take your long-johns (unless you and the beav got a little brokeback mtn in you...nothing wrong with that of course)

last time i was there it was early june...got hailed on and was in the upper 20s at night, but really couldn’t have asked for better weather. saw grizzlies and black bear, boat-loads of elk and bison, and a few fox and coyote. if you’re gonna camp, reserve your spot asap

p.s. don’t try to swim in the hot springs or pet the bison
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:59 am So beav and I are gonna try to Yellowstone in early October.

Anyone been?
Yellowstone River was 100 yards out my back door for a couple of years. About an hour both of the park. It’s all absolute stunning. Weather that time of year should still be OK, but snow is definitely possible
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, October in the Rockies is a crap shoot. But figure if I’m not camping in Yellowstone then I’ll be camping here, so what’s the difference? Besides the grizzlies.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:00 pm Yeah, October in the Rockies is a crap shoot. But figure if I’m not camping in Yellowstone then I’ll be camping here, so what’s the difference? Besides the grizzlies.
Definitely check out Chico Hot Springs if you can. Haven’t been in a long time (10+ years), but it was amazing back then
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

If you find yourself in Livingston, MT, Mark’s In & Out is a great burger joint. Montana’s Rib & Chop House is the best food in town.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:56 pm haven’t been to yellowstone in the fall, but...

take your long-johns (unless you and the beav got a little brokeback mtn in you...nothing wrong with that of course)

last time i was there it was early june...got hailed on and was in the upper 20s at night, but really couldn’t have asked for better weather. saw grizzlies and black bear, boat-loads of elk and bison, and a few fox and coyote. if you’re gonna camp, reserve your spot asap

Do campsites really fill up? Even in October?

A decade ago we rolled into the park early August and I don’t recall any issues getting a campsite, whether car or backcountry. Then again, we may not have car camped, and the backcountry sites tend to be much more available.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:56 pm haven’t been to yellowstone in the fall, but...

We had a hot springs close to our campsite. Swam in there all the time.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:31 pm

We had a hot springs close to our campsite. Swam in there all the time.
not the ones i was referencing ;)
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:21 pm

Do campsites really fill up? Even in October?

A decade ago we rolled into the park early August and I don’t recall any issues getting a campsite, whether car or backcountry. Then again, we may not have car camped, and the backcountry sites tend to be much more available.
last time i was there was maybe 5 or 6 years ago. i don’t think you can even reserve backcountry sites, but would definitely at least look to see how the availability is at the campgrounds if that’s how you guys were planning on going. that said, i’m with you and doubt you’ll have issues finding a spot in october

we got up at like 4 one morning and drove out to Lamar Valley (i think that’s the name) to try and see the wolves. only saw bison (BORING lol) but some folks that were there got to see the wolves make a kill the previous morning
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:56 am Yeah, old faithful is a sad tourist trap. My traveling companion was being a looser and insisting on seeing it. So we file into the rows of bleachers surrounding it and wait. And wait. And wait. It was running late that day.
Ha, love the irony
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Yellowstone in October is great.
Big Horns are coming down, the Elk are headed toward Jackson Hole, and there aren't many humans around.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So Yellowstone!

Anyone have experience with bear spray? Or bear electric fences? Or any bear defense in between?

Beav is thinking about going all Merica and getting a hand cannon.

I think I can hold my own with brass knuckles.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Do tasers work against big furry mammals?
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:12 pm So Yellowstone!

Anyone have experience with bear spray? Or bear electric fences? Or any bear defense in between?

Beav is thinking about going all Merica and getting a hand cannon.

I think I can hold my own with brass knuckles.
i’d get bear spray

but, if you get keep it on your person. seems so obvious, but it does no no good if it’s in your pack or car

and don’t fuck around with it if you get it...it’s no joke. wife had one inadvertently go off down her lower back and backside. not a fun experience.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:24 pm i’d get bear spray

but, if you get keep it on your person. seems so obvious, but it does no no good if it’s in your pack or car
well duh

and don’t fuck around with it if you get it...it’s no joke.
I don’t doubt it. One day on a windy day in elementary school in ks, the local police department was doing some pepper spray training at this abandoned house up the road, and up wind from the playground during recess. A ton of kids had reactions and started crying and short winded and just generally fucked them up so bad they had to call their parents and take them home.
had one inadvertently go off down her lower back and backside. not a fun experience.
...giggity
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I have carried around the Counter Assault bear spray cans for years. Never used them, but I always have one in the tent when camping. It spent most of the summer in my truck in the heat this summer without incident as well. Probably not the best idea. They come with a little holster that can be attached to the hip belt of your backpack so it is there at the ready while hiking also. I looked at the electric bear fence once, just seemed like a lot of trouble to set up.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

The Ritz-Carlton doesn't have bears.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.