WV game thread

Kansas Football.
Judy_Jayhawk

Re: WV game thread

Post by Judy_Jayhawk »

Don't you usually get a kiss in this type of situation?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

At least you could say we were in it.

The officials didn’t help. The interception late in the game was brutal. Play calling on the second to last drive at the end just dumb. But we were 30 yards away from a win.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Right now all you can ask for is entering the 4th quarter is KU in a position to win. Tonight that was the case even though you felt like KU was the better team overall.
Play calling in the first half, specifically on offense cost an opportunity to win. Way to much over thinking and stubborn philosophies.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We didn't suck. Huge improvement.
Defense. Rebounds.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

holidaysmore wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:09 pm 1. Competitive. At this rate that is all you can ask for.
2. Last three minutes of the first half was really bad.
3. PI going into the end zone was an awful call.
4. See above for the onside. I do love the aggressive nature by Les. Trusted the defense.
5. Not sure about the Carter fumble either. Iffy at best.
6. This team is at its best when Carter is in the gun. Spread it out and let Carter get in a rhythm. Then go to the power toss game.
7. Because of who they are right now the margin for winning is razor thin but I do believe this team is headed in the right direction.
8. Fun game to attend. Good crowd.
1. Both loses were close. Better than we have seen in awhile.
2. First half wasn't bad, always room for improvement.
3. The PI was very weak but not terrible.
4. I loved the on-side kick. I think it was perfectly timed, complete surprise. I will say I don't know the rule but watching it at the game it really fired up the crowd when they ruled it a penalty.
5. I don't know who said it on this thread but I agree, if it goes past the LOS it is not a fumble but an incomplete pass.
6. I agree with this. Defenses want to key on run, use the pass to open the run. It works the other way it can work for us.
7. Agree with this also. Need to get coachs to make some better play calls to help the team.
8. I don't know what the attendance was but man it was nice to see more fans in the second half at a game than I have seen for years at the start of a game. Student section is pulling their weight.

One thing I saw was the team had the run stopped at the LOS or with little gain and then couldn't get the tackle and it turned into 5 or 10 yards. If they can shore that up, huge difference in the game. Could be the depth but it can improve.

I think KU didn't make a lot silly mistakes. I thought multiple penalties were bad calls. After looking at the stats when I got home, it was clear I was right. 4 penalties and I think 2 were bad calls. This is a huge improvement over past coaches.

I think the team is heading in the right direction. Probably not many more wins this year but competitive games are in our future.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

We actually have a competent football team and a competent football staff and HC. As Torneden said in press conference, KU just didn’t do the things it takes to win close games.

The program is still trending up. West Virginia is actually an above average team, when you take the Missouri loss out of it (which was expected after Missouri lost to Wyoming)

I’m excited to watch the replay tomorrow to see if there’s anything I missed, but WV just made a couple of more plays than the Hawks did, but the Hawks just grinded it out until the time went out and they finished in 2nd place.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Watched replay and was impressed by KU and their resolve.

They did almost anything they wanted in the 2nd half. Had almost 300 yards of offense in the 2nd half. Just didn’t have a lot of possessions to make it count. First half punts were tough to deal with looking back.

The onside was a hot topic. I didn’t know that the ball had to hit the ground first or give the receiving team an ample opportunity to get the ball. If Horne was just a step slower and outside of that yard bubble, then KU would have had the ball.

Running game just couldn’t get going. Some credit to WV, they were better than I expected and very active up front.

Stanley has just had too many turnovers. That fumble was a killer. The INT was a good play by defense. But he’s at 4 interceptions and almost the same in fumbles. Can’t have that. But did make some good plays with his feet. Good to see. Still the best option.

Fans just want competitive football. As well say probably often this year, KU loses that game by more the last decade. They showed fight, they showed an ability to keep going when it wasn’t going their way. Fans at the game noticed that too. Giving them an ovation as they left the field. Miles and players noticed it and the recruits that were there see that too. I expect some decent crowds for the rest of the year because I think fans see a first year Mangino type of season. Not good W-L record, but they’ll fight until the end. And be a good building block for a successful tenure by Miles.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Now that everyone has had a chance to relax, I’d like to point out that the onside kick, the fumble and the pass interference were all the correct calls.

That said the PI was definitely soft and a lot of times that’s not called in that situation.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:52 am Watched replay and was impressed by KU and their resolve.

They did almost anything they wanted in the 2nd half. Had almost 300 yards of offense in the 2nd half. Just didn’t have a lot of possessions to make it count. First half punts were tough to deal with looking back.

The onside was a hot topic. I didn’t know that the ball had to hit the ground first or give the receiving team an ample opportunity to get the ball. If Horne was just a step slower and outside of that yard bubble, then KU would have had the ball.

Running game just couldn’t get going. Some credit to WV, they were better than I expected and very active up front.

Stanley has just had too many turnovers. That fumble was a killer. The INT was a good play by defense. But he’s at 4 interceptions and almost the same in fumbles. Can’t have that. But did make some good plays with his feet. Good to see. Still the best option.

Fans just want competitive football. As well say probably often this year, KU loses that game by more the last decade. They showed fight, they showed an ability to keep going when it wasn’t going their way. Fans at the game noticed that too. Giving them an ovation as they left the field. Miles and players noticed it and the recruits that were there see that too. I expect some decent crowds for the rest of the year because I think fans see a first year Mangino type of season. Not good W-L record, but they’ll fight until the end. And be a good building block for a successful tenure by Miles.
From your lips to God's ears.
I give our players an A for effort yesterday. Tough losing a game you had a good chance of winning.
Hopefully we give TCU a challenge. They lost at home to a good SMU team yesterday.
After that, the next 2 games are ugly. Oklahoma should crush us and at Texas isn't going to be pretty.
Call me crazy but after the Oklahoma and Texas games I think we win 2 of the last 5.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Defense couldn't create a turnover. Offense couldn't get the ground game going. Probably win if either of those things happen.

We're short on guys, but I thought the staff did as well as they could have for yesterday's game. Especially coming off of an emotional week.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I thought the onside call was wrong because it was a kickoff and no fair catch was called. The receiver touched the ball first
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Same situation in KC today. But KC called fair catch.
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

Thing that scares me for the remainder of the season is lack of depth, especially at the LB position.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The onside kick call was a bad call.
The pass interference could not have been called but I can’t argue much that it was. It’s subjective.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I don't have all the 22 tape to rewatch but I would love to see why Les is insistent of running the ball against outnumbered boxes. IMO and from what I have watched it seems like Carter is far more comfortable from the gun and in spread scenarios. Quick passes. Motion. Jet sweeps. Get him comfortable and in a rhythm and make teams respect the passing game. Once teams move # out of the box then you go with the power running game.

Punter also had a bad day yesterday.

When you are KU you have a razon thin margin for winning. You can't beat yourself and need the breaks to go your way. Losing things like the turnover battle, time of possession things like that are hard to overcome especially when you aren't the better team coming into the game.

You are never happy with losing but you are encouraged about the fight and the gradual improvements. I'm not sure if they can beat TCU next week but same thing as WVU...enter the 4th with a realistic chance to win.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Sparko wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:49 pm I thought the onside call was wrong because it was a kickoff and no fair catch was called. The receiver touched the ball first
You don’t understand the rules of the game
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Right call, but the rule probably needs to be tweaked.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:11 pm
Sparko wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:49 pm I thought the onside call was wrong because it was a kickoff and no fair catch was called. The receiver touched the ball first
You don’t understand the rules of the game
Up to that point, Refs had always let both teams have equal access to the ball in the air on onside kicks. Mind you a fair catch could have been called for. Horne actually stripped the 50/50 ball from receiver. I have seen receivers run down on punts with no fair catch signaled. I can see why they called it, but it was a crazy play that could also have been allowed. The first time it has been called that way onside to my knowledge. But Kansas. The fumbles lost by Stanley could also have gone the other way.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Also I wonder what the staff is going to do with MacVittie? Carter lost his helmet and first guy off the bench is Manny.
I saw MacVittie and his family after the Indiana State game and he looked like he had just left a funeral.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Makes you wonder for sure.