Contributor

Re: ESPN plus

Post by jhawks99 »

What CNB said, plus the streaming sux.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

It's likely more to do with opponent quality than Kansas quality.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Well, we just played against the #16 team in the country on + and then a typical high tv rating game in Ames.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:48 am Local tv stations picked Jayhawk Network games up. They don't have that option now under the new contract.

I think everyone is OK with the cost and the fact that streaming is the future, I don't think people like their feeling that KU is being treated like a second-class program being kicked to online only from games that used to always be on ESPN, 2, and U.

Most everyone here remembers when you could just turn on the TV and the KU game would always be there. 1 step.
And...it is here that there's a clear example of the ways in which the sport (and its fans) will be marginalized in the case something were to happen that degrades general interest in the sport.

Something like talented, popular players deciding not to play the sport.
Deleted User 295

Wasn't WVU during an NFL game?

Last night was during the Denver vs Mavs game (jokic and luka!!! Fun stuff to watch).

What was on espn2 during the game last night?

CBB just isn't much of a draw lately it seems. Very little coverage outside of the normal weekly games. And is freaking hard to watch in many instances...I'm not saying leaving us off the main stations is justified, but it's somewhat understandable in many instances.
Last edited by Deleted User 295 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:49 am the streaming sux.
For me that's the issue.

I understand everything's moving in the direction of streaming. I just want the service to work.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 295

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:04 am
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:49 am the streaming sux.
For me that's the issue.

I understand everything's moving in the direction of streaming. I just want the service to work.
The skipping is brutal when it happens...I never know if thats on the service or the internet service provider?....all I know is that it skips when I chromecast it from my phone or tablet, but doesn't skip if I watch on my desktop computer and doesn't skip if I watch on my phone.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:03 am Wasn't WVU during an NFL game?

Last night was during the Denver vs Mavs game (jokic and luka!!! Fun stuff to watch).

CBB just isn't much of a draw lately it seems. Very little coverage outside of the normal weekly games. And is freaking hard to watch in many instances...I'm not saying leaving us off the main stations is justified, but it's somewhat understandable in many instances.
There was much more college basketball on last night than NBA.
Deleted User 295

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:08 am

Sure. There were only 9 NBA games last night though. ESPN is always NBA on the main channel on Wednesdays as far as I know. So that leaves espn2 and espnU for college...I guess I'm more curious as to which college games were chosen over us for ESPN2?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

You'd think it would be well within technical possibility for there to be an ESPN FLEX cable/satellite channel or something, where the content is curated regionally (and you can access out-of-region content through ESPN+).
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I would posit KU BB is too popular for a shitty streaming service. The Big 12 can shove the other teams there, but bandwidth runs out during Kansas games. That has to be the reason. I have the FO connection and a great router. Then I am back in dial-up days during Kansas games on ESPN+. I am sure that the decision generated a lot more money, but it is disrespectful to a legion of fans paying for regular ESPN. And, though I respect NDBaller, the announcers the last two games seem to want to tank the team’s draft stock. Beyond terrible. Demeaning for two hours.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I live in Michigan. I remember a time when I had to plop down several hundred dollars per season to purchase a college basketball package in order to watch the Jayhawks. Now I have to only fork over $4.99 per month. And I get to watch EVERY single game.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

The only game I've had even the slightest issue with this year was the game ESPN released a statement about that they were having technical difficulties on site. Other than that, no freezing, no pixelated picture, no skips. It's been as if watching on standard TV.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:12 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:08 am

Sure. There were only 9 NBA games last night though. ESPN is always NBA on the main channel on Wednesdays as far as I know. So that leaves espn2 and espnU for college...I guess I'm more curious as to which college games were chosen over us for ESPN2?
I know OU/UT was on ESPN2 last night. I'm fairly certain part of the Big 12/ESPN Contract says neither of those 2 teams will have home games on ESPN+ due to having their own stations (Longhorn Network and Fox Sports Southwest). Also have to remember that ESPN has contracts with other conferences too. With NBA on ESPN, that leaves 2 and U to split between Big 12, ACC, and SEC. OU/UT had to be one of them, so the decision for U was between an ACC or SEC game.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:11 pm The only game I've had even the slightest issue with this year was the game ESPN released a statement about that they were having technical difficulties on site. Other than that, no freezing, no pixelated picture, no skips. It's been as if watching on standard TV.
I have had issues for every KU MBB game on ESPN+. No where near the quality of basic TV. I have watched the 'Miles to Go' season with no issues. We stream movies in multiple rooms at the same time without issues.

I think they just can't seem to get it right for the amount of people watching. It needs to improve.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

nu_bronco wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:44 pm
NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:11 pm The only game I've had even the slightest issue with this year was the game ESPN released a statement about that they were having technical difficulties on site. Other than that, no freezing, no pixelated picture, no skips. It's been as if watching on standard TV.
I have had issues for every KU MBB game on ESPN+. No where near the quality of basic TV. I have watched the 'Miles to Go' season with no issues. We stream movies in multiple rooms at the same time without issues.

I think they just can't seem to get it right for the amount of people watching. It needs to improve.
Exactly my experience. Must be localized bandwidth issues.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Espn+ game of the night tonight? Detroit v Cleveland st. All major conference teams are on regular networks.
Just Ledoux it
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

More like a hundred games being broadcast by ESPN networks.

https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/?type=upcoming
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

TDub wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:35 pm Espn+ game of the night tonight? Detroit v Cleveland st. All major conference teams are on regular networks.
Easier to do when 4 of the top 6 conference don't have a single game tonight, lol. And one of the conferences playing tonight is the Pac12 when games start at 9 ET at the earliest.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:07 pm I live in Michigan. I remember a time when I had to plop down several hundred dollars per season to purchase a college basketball package in order to watch the Jayhawks. Now I have to only fork over $4.99 per month. And I get to watch EVERY single game.
This is pretty accurate. Although I never paid for college plan.

+ is a remarkably inexpensive service for what it is.

Sucks for those of you that have choppy feed. I never have any issue at all.

Also, just about every sporting event in the world can be found for ‘free’ with a simple google search. You can decide for yourself if it’s stealing.