Kansas National Champs 2020

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Kansas National Champs 2020

Post by pdub »

“The cancellation of the college basketball postseason is an unprecedented situation,” the NABC said in a statement released Monday. “The NABC National Championship Trophy has historically been awarded to the winner of the national championship game as the No. 1 team in the season’s final coaches poll. Consistent with the history of the trophy and with no on-court champion being determined this season, the NABC will not award a trophy.”

Meh.
Missouri.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Founded by Phog, no? Betrayed their roots.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m ok with awarding no championship. It makes sense on enough levels.

If it was any other school, I wouldn’t want to see a championship awarded, and wouldn’t take the award seriously if it was.

But then again, the only way I could see a champion recognized this year is if it was either some Cinderella story with some universal feel-good angle so powerful and appreciable that it transcends the situation, or Duke.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I said earlier the fact that Kansas would be the champ would halt Mike Brey from letting nabc award a trophy. Sanctimony.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

you all are crazy if you think a random tournament definitively determines a national champion, one where the best team rarely wins and the winner never has to play the other best teams in the nation. the tournament is fun and crazy, but helms titles are at least equally credible.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think hoopla is wrong.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Helms are absolute bull, but other schools also recognize them. Just wish we'd differentiate between the NCAA Championships and the Helms garbage, but there is too much of an inferiority complex amongst the fanbase with only 3 championships to lay claim to.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

hoopla wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:27 am you all are crazy if you think a random tournament definitively determines a national champion, one where the best team rarely wins and the winner never has to play the other best teams in the nation. the tournament is fun and crazy, but helms titles are at least equally credible.
Preach it!
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:04 am Helms are absolute bull, but other schools also recognize them. Just wish we'd differentiate between the NCAA Championships and the Helms garbage, but there is too much of an inferiority complex amongst the fanbase with only 3 championships to lay claim to.
So teams that were good, prior to the introduction of the NCAA tournament shouldn't be recognized for their accomplishments? They are just as credible, in my opinion, especially given that winning the tournament is really a coin flip. Just my opinion though...
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

punkrockhawk wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:21 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:04 am Helms are absolute bull, but other schools also recognize them. Just wish we'd differentiate between the NCAA Championships and the Helms garbage, but there is too much of an inferiority complex amongst the fanbase with only 3 championships to lay claim to.
So teams that were good, prior to the introduction of the NCAA tournament shouldn't be recognized for their accomplishments? They are just as credible, in my opinion, especially given that winning the tournament is really a coin flip. Just my opinion though...
If a team accomplished a championship, then by all means, it should be recognized. The 1922 and 23 teams won games but did not play for any mythical or real championship. Helms Foundation was not founded until 1936. The idea of a national championship did not exist in 1922 or 23.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The NCAA are simply a tournament. The regular season is simply a longer tournament. But the regular season provided metrics that showed KU was clearly the best team. And it wasn't close. When the NCAA is dismantled, Allen's idea to generate money and interest will flow to another method. The Helms trophies were based on actual performance, even if conferred later. Kansas has been the best team in CBB for a generation and has one a single single-elimination tournament, but would have won many play-off games. So, hang the only banner they can't control in 2019-20, consensus #1. (An asterisk should say no champion because it was KU). Everything that happened since the last game of the season is designed to hobble the juggernaut.
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:28 pm
punkrockhawk wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:21 pm
If a team accomplished a championship, then by all means, it should be recognized. The 1922 and 23 teams won games but did not play for any mythical or real championship. Helms Foundation was not founded until 1936. The idea of a national championship did not exist in 1922 or 23.
Good point. I had forgotten that Helms wasn't founded until later.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Dok should be having dinner with his mother, celebrating their national semifinal win right now.

Freaking coronavirus.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:40 pm Dok should be having dinner with his mother, celebrating their national semifinal win right now.

Freaking NCAA.
FyP
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

https://twitter.com/JimMWeber/status/13 ... 6085843970

How about this, but with the 2019-2020 rosters. As the 2019-2020 championship.