WSU

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: WSU

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Wichita and specifically WSU fans are weird, man. They're not the biggest fans of Kansas obviously. But they loved Turgeon, I would imagine that Danny would be loved, but it's weird for them to root on a Jayhawk leading their program.

They still love Marshall and his tree. Former Marshall assistant Chris Jans is doing really well at New Mexico State. I think he gets the job. He's like 80-15 in his 3 seasons there.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

In a sense this feels like the Beaty case. Greg had a huge buyout and to not pay they had to prove it was 'with cause' and as we saw in the Beaty case that is an extremely drawn out and UGLY process. I'm sure both parties didn't want to go that route so they settled on $7.5 million and the true results of how they got to that number will never be revealed.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:29 am In a sense this feels like the Beaty case. Greg had a huge buyout and to not pay they had to prove it was 'with cause' and as we saw in the Beaty case that is an extremely drawn out and UGLY process. I'm sure both parties didn't want to go that route so they settled on $7.5 million and the true results of how they got to that number will never be revealed.
This sounds pretty close to correct after reading jhawk99's ESPN link.

I just can't believe WSU wouldn't fight harder on that. It's notable that no players came to Greggggg's defense. Discovery could have been a bloodbath for him.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I wonder if from a PR sense WSU didn't want to fight this further for either the claims weren't strong enough or they didn't want any more damage to be done for their own reputation that they didn't address this sooner. Seems that if both sides pursued this going any further they might lose more than they gained.

WSU probably reached out to their big mega donors and explained the situation and how it was going to play out. They probably all agreed that while 7.5 is a big number if you can spread it out over six years that would become simply another line item.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:58 am I wonder if from a PR sense WSU didn't want to fight this further for either the claims weren't strong enough or they didn't want any more damage to be done for their own reputation that they didn't address this sooner. Seems that if both sides pursued this going any further they might lose more than they gained.

WSU probably reached out to their big mega donors and explained the situation and how it was going to play out. They probably all agreed that while 7.5 is a big number if you can spread it out over six years that would become simply another line item.
Charles Koch. I mean other people have plenty of money, but he's the guy you have to convince.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:58 am I wonder if from a PR sense WSU didn't want to fight this further for either the claims weren't strong enough or they didn't want any more damage to be done for their own reputation that they didn't address this sooner. Seems that if both sides pursued this going any further they might lose more than they gained.
But, we are dealing with WSU logic here. If the claims weren't strong enough to support a termination for cause and/or a breach of contract, Marshall would still be coaching at WSU. The evidence had to be very strong for WSU to want out.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:04 am
But, we are dealing with WSU logic here. If the claims weren't strong enough to support a termination for cause and/or a breach of contract, Marshall would still be coaching at WSU. The evidence had to be very strong for WSU to want out.
Isn't Wichita State public? You'd think the contract would be gettable.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Think this is the University paper..

https://thesunflower.com/53479/sports/a ... -contract/

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I was wondering what the conduct clause looked like:

"insubordination and as determined by the University President an act of dishonesty and discreditable conduct."

IMO, if you're a college basketball coach, the prima facie violation of a conduct clause would be to punch a student.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The text of the definition of "good cause" is everything.

And lol at his gym membership being covered. Country clubs, I get, ok. That's real money. But a gym membership? When you've got a $3.5mm/year contract? Very Greggy.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Literally seems like the split it. He was due $15M, and if it was without cause, he would have to be paid the $15M. But getting the $5.75M, which is basically down the middle.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:26 am The text of the definition of "good cause" is everything.

And lol at his gym membership being covered. Country clubs, I get, ok. That's real money. But a gym membership? When you've got a $3.5mm/year contract? Very Greggy.
Yeah, Genesis is owned by a group of brothers called the Stevens Brothers. They're shady as shit, but give a ton to the University, so they probably threw that in there for kind of a sponsorship type of deal.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Not mention their ownership in Spangles and I want to say car dealerships? Like you said, Newton Koch is their guy but Wichita has some deep pockets.
This just seems like both parties wanted to be clean of each other and move on. No need to drag this out further into the courts and who knows what else comes up.

Speaking of Spangles I wouldn't mind one of their burger and fry combos along with a muhh-muhhh-mudslide, lol.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

spangles...lol
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I hit the Spangles in Emporia on my Wichita-KC commutes quite often. That or Braum's.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

If you have a choice, have to do Braums. Far superior food and shakes.. But Spangles is OK to mix in now and then.

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i was never impressed

seemed like obesity, heart disease and diabetes via drive-thru

maybe that’s the wrong impression though, and it isn’t any worse than any other fast-food burger joint
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:47 am If you have a choice, have to do Braums. Far superior food and shakes.. But Spangles is OK to mix in now and then.
The burgers and fries I can agree are comparable.

But, Spangles breakfast is on a level above any fast food joint I've had in the country.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:49 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:47 am If you have a choice, have to do Braums. Far superior food and shakes.. But Spangles is OK to mix in now and then.
The burgers and fries I can agree are comparable.

But, Spangles breakfast is on a level above any fast food joint I've had in the country.
That part is true. The breakfast bowls are top notch as are the Sourdough sandwiches.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:47 am i was never impressed

seemed like obesity, heart disease and diabetes via drive-thru

maybe that’s the wrong impression though, and it isn’t any worse than any other fast-food burger joint
I'm not a big fast food person at all. Been to Wendy's/McDonald's/BK/Taco Bell probably about 3x in the past decade, no joke.

What makes Spangles different for me is that they truly do cook the food to order and they don't get most stuff frozen. Doesn't have that artificial taste full of preservatives.

Of course it's unhealthy though. That's what they're going for. Same as your local diner.