Offseason thread

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Offseason thread

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:46 am right

they’ve both shown flashes/potential, but have yet to find that higher gear to be a star
And hey, there's time!

Releford got there, as a guard/wing example.

Jackson got there, as a power forward example.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Och and Silvio are similar in that they were both unexpectedly pushed into big roles very early in their careers, and did well enough with it at the time.

The comparison kinda ends there though. Since then, Och has enjoyed a starter role, and has never had to worry about his minutes despite prone to being meh.

Silvio has been subjected to some of the harshest and most disproportionate disciplinary action in the history of college hoops, much of which has been beyond his control. When he is eligible, he’s had the short leash treatment, largely cuz he found himself then competing with higher ranked recruits at his position.

He’s also seeing his position (for now let’s just say “old school big”) be sorta phased out as the game evolves toward modern small ball.

I thought he would be better than he was a last year, but that was also assuming he’d be good at the 4. This year there’s more of an opportunity at his natural 5 spot, even if it is a backup role. Last year DMac put up 7 points and 4 boards in 15 minutes a game, mostly as a backup 5. I think Silvio might be capable of something like that.

But I think we know where this is headed: someone just go ahead and start the “why is our NBA-caliber freshman riding pine with Och getting big minutes instead” thread.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Ochai's 'prone to being meh' is a bit skewed because of what we saw in the first few games of his career ( after the shirt was pulled ).

He had a decent season as a sophomore ( 10 PPG, 4.2 RPG, 43% FG ) with half a freshman season ( better than a junior Svi, better than a sophomore Selden ) - but yes, it still feels as if he should have had better.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

I do not think Ochai and SDS are even remotely similar. 1 is looked at as a potential first rounder. The other may not even play ahead of Mitch Lightfoot.

Ochai has put up pretty good numbers imo. He wasn't going to shine over Dotson and Dok last year. Those guys were All Americans. He still averaged 10pts per game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

McCormack 16.1 PPG
Garrett 13.3 PPG
Ochai 12.2 PPG
Braun 9.9 PPG
Thompson 9.5 PPG

And that might be low on Chai.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Generally a potential first rounder has to at least exhibit the potential to do something elite at at least the college level, but screw it, let’s go with it.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 am Generally a potential first rounder has to at least exhibit the potential to do something elite at at least the college level, but screw it, let’s go with it.
He has an elite body and elite coordination imo. He close to an elite defender. If he shoots closer to 40% from 3pt past year instead of 34% then people would think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Other than shooting, which isn't even really a "weakness", he does everything very well. Rebounds, defends, and scores.

Take a look at our usage rates last year. It was not going to be possible to put up huge numbers next to Dotson and Dok. Och played 33mpg and had a 17% usage rate. Dotson had a 26% usage rate. Dok 23%. MG 17%.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yes!

Most fans are longing for more from
Och at the college level, yet now illy’s ready to draft him.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I put Ochai's NBA potential, despite his struggles last season, higher than McCormack's and Garrett's tho.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:14 am Yes!

It isn't me wanting to draft him. It is the NBA apparently. He considered leaving after last year iirc.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:50 am

It isn't me wanting to draft him. It is the NBA apparently. He considered leaving after last year iirc.
And he then realized he wasn't on many teams boards and announced he was coming back. He had more interest after his half freshman year because of his athleticism and potential. He was essentially a high level HS senior in their eyes who quickly fell off boards once they saw him play more.

Terrible name to mention around here, I know, and I'm not comparing the two players, just the situations.....

A Quentin Grimes situation, if you will. Lot of interest early. Plays a full season. Scouts say nevermind.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:37 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:20 pm that's an interesting thought.

and though Silvio is about the same height as Mitch or Tristan, I think he's a lot stronger than either.

dude's got some shoulders.
He's a good rebounder. Quite a bit better than Mitch, so he's got that. But he's not a rim protector or presence in the lane that prevents anyone from driving or anything. And Mitch has been as good or better shot blocker per 40 than SDS over their careers.
Mitch is only a weak side shot blocker, which I suppose you could say helps protect the rim but also leaves us vulnerable.

Agree with Silvio having no lift from standing and not a rim protecter (unless it's a chase down block against some Kansas State thug). Which, makes it so strange that he's an elite rebounder given that limitation.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:10 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:50 am

And he then realized he wasn't on many teams boards and announced he was coming back. He had more interest after his half freshman year because of his athleticism and potential. He was essentially a high level HS senior in their eyes who quickly fell off boards once they saw him play more.

Terrible name to mention around here, I know, and I'm not comparing the two players, just the situations.....

A Quentin Grimes situation, if you will. Lot of interest early. Plays a full season. Scouts say nevermind.
Och is not ever going to be the quickest cat on the floor so I'm not sure he's ever going to be much more than a 3 and D guy.

Which, he certainly needs to complete his shot transformation. His shot is definitely not proven at this stage.

That said, of course he's going to play a ton for us and is the X factor for the season.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:12 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:37 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:20 pm that's an interesting thought.

and though Silvio is about the same height as Mitch or Tristan, I think he's a lot stronger than either.

dude's got some shoulders.
He's a good rebounder. Quite a bit better than Mitch, so he's got that. But he's not a rim protector or presence in the lane that prevents anyone from driving or anything. And Mitch has been as good or better shot blocker per 40 than SDS over their careers.
Mitch is only a weak side shot blocker, which I suppose you could say helps protect the rim but also leaves us vulnerable.

Agree with Silvio having no lift from standing and not a rim protecter (unless it's a chase down block against some Kansas State thug). Which, makes it so strange that he's an elite rebounder given that limitation.
mentioned Mitch's blocks just as an overall contribution to defense and statistical comparison to SDS.

Which is to say, neither one of them is Withey back there making guys take midrange jumpers out of fear of getting rejected.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

McCormack should be fine in that spot ( I know we're just comparing SDS and Mitch ) - but our perimeter players can't rely on one of the best post defenders we've had under Self to cover their asses as much anymore.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:18 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:12 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:37 pm He's a good rebounder. Quite a bit better than Mitch, so he's got that. But he's not a rim protector or presence in the lane that prevents anyone from driving or anything. And Mitch has been as good or better shot blocker per 40 than SDS over their careers.

mentioned Mitch's blocks just as an overall contribution to defense and statistical comparison to SDS.

Which is to say, neither one of them is Withey back there making guys take midrange jumpers out of fear of getting rejected.
Which makes it an interesting tradeoff. Silvio is going to give up more free throws but also get more rebounds.

I think the rebounds become more important with the small-ish lineup. Braun is a good rebounder at the 4. Enaruana and Wilson--we have yet to see that.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Enaruna is a better rebounder than Braun.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

bulletin board material?