KU v WVU Game Thread

Kansas Football.
Cascadia

Re: KU v WVU Game Thread

Post by Cascadia »

I don't think we have a good enough OL or QB to make a judgement on play calling and overall offensive strategy.

We just suck
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:11 pm I don't think we have a good enough OL or QB to make a judgement on play calling and overall offensive strategy.

We just suck
A good coach coaches to strength. Or finds a way. We probably need to look at something like a wishbone or wildcat spread. Quick tempo, less pocket requirements.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

We've been making excuses for KU football for well over a decade and things only keep getting worse. Eventually someone is going to have to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Sparko wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:14 pm
Cascadia wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:11 pm I don't think we have a good enough OL or QB to make a judgement on play calling and overall offensive strategy.

We just suck
A good coach coaches to strength. Or finds a way. We probably need to look at something like a wishbone or wildcat spread. Quick tempo, less pocket requirements.
The point is, we don't have any strengths on offense outside of WR's and RB's. You have to have OL and QB to utilize those strengths. We don't have that. So, we're fucked.

The only thing a wishbone or wildcat offense would do is run the clock more. While that would likely lead to giving up less points and having smaller margins of losses, it would be a complete chicken shit philosophy. You at least have to try and develop players and make plays.
Last edited by Cascadia on Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

3rd and 2, run up the gut.
Punt down 21.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

holidaysmore wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:16 pm We've been making excuses for KU football for well over a decade and things only keep getting worse. Eventually someone is going to have to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough.
What line do you want to be drawn?

Fire the whole staff again? Lose more players again?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

My line today is firing Dearmon and getting someone in who doesn’t run into the run blitz.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

So dumb
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Joel Klatt said it perfectly. That play is insanity to me. NOTHING has shown KU can just run power up the gut to get a first down. That is play calling and that falls on whoever is calling the offense. That has nothing to do with an incompetent offensive line and a midget QB. It is YOUR job as a coordinator to make them better. That is why you are making six figures.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Sweet. Let's just keep firing people after a handful of games becuase we don't like a few play calls. Seems like that's exactly what successful programs and franchises do all the time!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

holidaysmore wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:21 pm Joel Klatt said it perfectly. That play is insanity to me. NOTHING has shown KU can just run power up the gut to get a first down. That is play calling and that falls on whoever is calling the offense. That has nothing to do with an incompetent offensive line and a midget QB. It is YOUR job as a coordinator to make them better. That is why you are making six figures.
Yeah. Find some strengths and be unpredictable at least
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

So we could have ran outside for a loss of 2 or thrown an incomplete pass (likely sacked, but whatever). That would have been sooooooooo much better than trying to run up the middle.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Dearmon was inexperienced and seemed to have caught onto something. He has had some time to not look so bad.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

We could run the exact same plays with a better OL/QB in a victory none of you would be complaining about 'playcalling'.

Point being, you're just pissed we're losing and lashing out in anger.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:23 pm Sweet. Let's just keep firing people after a handful of games becuase we don't like a few play calls. Seems like that's exactly what successful programs and franchises do all the time!
And that is the whole damned thing of all of this. What does KU do? I'm running out of answers. Unless KU finds a QB you are looking at trying to replace the following from offense: Pook, AP, Lassiter, and Robinson. Those are just the offensive guys I can think of off hand. Are you going to be patient enough to accept that having 0 total yards at one point in a second half is acceptable and part of the 'process'?

I've said all along that I can accept getting beat as long as we are making progress forward. The defense and special teams did that. The offense has not only taken a step back this year but they have gotten worse and worse every week. Again, something has to give and right now I don't have an answer. I just know this can't be the best that KU can offer offensively.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Big XII teams basically keep running up the scores too. The conference is bad enough that they all have to stick it to KU to pad stats. Daege played the whole game.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Pooka!!
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

holidaysmore wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:30 pm
Cascadia wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:23 pm Sweet. Let's just keep firing people after a handful of games becuase we don't like a few play calls. Seems like that's exactly what successful programs and franchises do all the time!
And that is the whole damned thing of all of this. What does KU do? I'm running out of answers. Unless KU finds a QB you are looking at trying to replace the following from offense: Pook, AP, Lassiter, and Robinson. Those are just the offensive guys I can think of off hand. Are you going to be patient enough to accept that having 0 total yards at one point in a second half is acceptable and part of the 'process'?

I've said all along that I can accept getting beat as long as we are making progress forward. The defense and special teams did that. The offense has not only taken a step back this year but they have gotten worse and worse every week. Again, something has to give and right now I don't have an answer. I just know this can't be the best that KU can offer offensively.

I don't disagree. I just think this year is a throw away year. I also think it's likely be more beneficial for next years team if we just stay the course and not make more changes.
Last edited by Cascadia on Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sweet
Too little too late
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

My thinking on Dearmon is that he really wasn’t ready. With time to prepare, teams aren’t really challenged.