Re: Pizza

Post by jhawks99 »

I hope the wine is good.
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mrs 99 ordered Domino's last night. It's been probably 15 years since I've had Domino's. Still terrible.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

Domino’s Pizza was the number one pizza delivery company in the United States, with a 48 percent share of the reported consumer spending on pizza delivery. With more than half of delivery orders in the United States now being placed online or via a mobile app, Domino’s Pizza is continually investing in technological initiatives to keep ahead of its rivals. Domino’s Hotspots was an innovative scheme rolled out in 2018 that provided customers with a new delivery option, allowing online-only orders to be delivered to spots without a traditional address, such as sports fields and parks.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/259 ... in-the-us/

I live in a building with over 500 apartments. I believe about 450 are occupied. Many if not most with multiple occupants.
Due to Covid protocol/s food deliveries are put on a table in the lobby instead of allowing the delivery people to come up to the apartments.
EVERY weekend for the past 7 (or more) weekends there has been at least 1 person who ordered PIZZA (not just any food - PIZZA) and never went downstairs to pick it up. I see them (the pizza boxes) still sitting on the table in the morning.
Not only do the delivery people usually call up to let the residents know their food has been delivered but security ALWAYS calls the residents too. It's not as if the people haven't been told their food is downstairs.
Moral of the story.... If you're a drunk (and/or stoned) putz and you order a pizza and then either pass out or are too lazy to go downstairs and get your food - you're kind of being an asshole and there should be a rule if you don't pick up your food delivery in an hour or so - then the security and maintenance people should be allowed to eat your food.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Agree. We weren't drunk and the pizza was terrible.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Of the three major chains though, Domino's is the best in my experience ( last 5 years - had Dominos maybe 3-4 times, Papa John's twice and Hut once ).
Pizza Hut is doughy and their cheese rubbery.
Papa John's has never arrived hot - even warm.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i really think it depends on location

couldn’t stand domino’s in Lawrence, but the nearest location to us in SLC isn’t too bad
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

842-1212 dumbdumbs
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

if only they delivered to SLC
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Domino's changed their recipe within like the last 10 years which makes it my preference of the big 3. Papa John's is just awful, will never do that again.

But, they all suck so bad that it is not worth the modest cost savings.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Papa John’s just manages to taste so cardboredy and stale no matter what.

It’s like Papa John got on the phone with his suppliers and said, “oh you’ve got a bunch of old dominos sauce that they sent back cuz it’s expired, but you’ll give me a killer deal on it tho, ok great!”
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:44 am Mrs 99 ordered Domino's last night. It's been probably 15 years since I've had Domino's. Still terrible.
Yuck. My kids beg for it and it's always terrible to me.

These little shits need to learn what good pizza is instead of wanting dominos and pizza hut. We've got numerous good pizza spots in my city and they're going to learn good pizza (relative to area) whether they like it or not. LOL
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

My kids are boring pizza eaters (cheese, maybe some hamburger) so it really doesn't matter what kind of pizza they get. And to me, pizza isn't the type of food that I care about the quality that much. A great pizza isn't that much different to me than a mediocre pizza so I really don't go out of my way to find great pizza. I enjoy it when I have it but really, when I crave pizza it's because I want greasy, cheesy, yummy stuff with lots of different flavors. It doesn't have to be awesome to provide that.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

You’ve clearly never had good pizza
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I get the whole "pizza is like sex" metaphor, but that twocoach post is blasphemy.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I usually make my own, but did not have the time last night and we were hungry.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not sure if you did delivery, but something I have been reminded of over and over during COVID is how shitty delivery makes the food.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:42 am My kids are boring pizza eaters (cheese, maybe some hamburger) so it really doesn't matter what kind of pizza they get. And to me, pizza isn't the type of food that I care about the quality that much. A great pizza isn't that much different to me than a mediocre pizza so I really don't go out of my way to find great pizza. I enjoy it when I have it but really, when I crave pizza it's because I want greasy, cheesy, yummy stuff with lots of different flavors. It doesn't have to be awesome to provide that.
I think this glosses over how different various pizzas can be; there are definitely times when thin-crust or even flatbread sounds good, and other times when pan or deep dish sounds good.

The clear GOAT of mainstream delivery joints, by the way, is Pizza Hut thin crust. Well done. Extra sauce.
Last edited by jfish26 on Tue May 04, 2021 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:57 am Not sure if you did delivery, but something I have been reminded of over and over during COVID is how shitty delivery makes the food.
Things in bowls and mixed plates fare so much better than things that are, like, traditional American meals (protein / starch / vegetable).
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:45 am You’ve clearly never had good pizza
I just don't fuss over my pizza choices that much is all. I'll eat pizza from pretty much wherever. I've had some excellent ones but I don't have the mental energy to catalogue the best places in town to get it because I just don't care about it enough. Pizza Hut? Sounds good. The local place down the street that was named "Best Local Pizza of 2020"? Sounds good. Wherever.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:57 am Not sure if you did delivery, but something I have been reminded of over and over during COVID is how shitty delivery makes the food.
Good point!

Tho while everything has a shelf life once put in a box, pizza prob has a longer window and does better delivered than, say, burgers and fries type food.