Goodbye Les, we hardly knew ye...

Kansas Football.
holidaysmore

Re: Goodbye Les, we hardly knew ye...

Post by holidaysmore »

I'm not sure if it is 'conventional' that doesn't work here more that bad, to really bad coaching hires don't work here.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Spread doesn't do it. Everyone does spread.
Pro-style offense doesn't work because you're expected to ground and pound.

Option might because you can kind of run a flex-bone. Put in Pesek-Hickson as the RB behind the QB and Hishaw and Gardner as the 2 RBs on the wings and you are working with something here.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I mean, I'm not 100% serious, but it's something worth considering.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:07 am So I’ve read some National thoughts today on Kansas football.

I’m all aboard the Triple-Option Offense train. Give me Jeff Monken.

He held a Kyler Murray offense at OU to 21 points in regulation because he barely got the chance to get the ball.

If KU wants to win games, do the triple option. You can’t do this conventionally. You have to do it with something different that your conference opponents cannot prepare for on a weekly basis.
I've been saying this for years.

Not specifically about the triple option, but doing something different. We can do what everyone else does and get the 200th best dual threat QB or 200th best pro style QB.

Or we do something different, that's still relatively common in HSs and get a top notch prospect at QB, and as you mentioned, do something unique from everyone else and make preparation for the opponent more difficult.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I can hear my Kansas junior high KU-fan football coach screaming to bring back the ol' single wing.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:56 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:07 am So I’ve read some National thoughts today on Kansas football.

I’m all aboard the Triple-Option Offense train. Give me Jeff Monken.

He held a Kyler Murray offense at OU to 21 points in regulation because he barely got the chance to get the ball.

If KU wants to win games, do the triple option. You can’t do this conventionally. You have to do it with something different that your conference opponents cannot prepare for on a weekly basis.
I've been saying this for years.

Not specifically about the triple option, but doing something different. We can do what everyone else does and get the 200th best dual threat QB or 200th best pro style QB.

Or we do something different, that's still relatively common in HSs and get a top notch prospect at QB, and as you mentioned, do something unique from everyone else and make preparation for the opponent more difficult.
Or just do things in a consistent, quietly competent way, for the first time in 15 years. The bar is so low - five or six wins on average, some outliers either direction. You can get there by just not shooting yourself in the dick at every possible juncture.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

This is the most probable way. Get a guy who is content with being at Kansas. Does recruiting the right way, and focuses on how to make Kansas a consistent .500 program.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

A lot harder to say then do, I realize. But this will be very interesting hire.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

From Bruce Feldman...

I'm hearing that there is real interest from some proven good Group of 5 head coaches in the Kansas job. There's also one former KU assistant that some boosters like who also might get a look.. Here is how I see the Jayhawks coaching search shaping up:
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

stupid pay walls
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:39 am There's also one former KU assistant that some boosters like who also might get a look..
https://twitter.com/DLawrenceKU/status/ ... 71331?s=20

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Cue the Michael Scott *NO! NO! Please, God NO! gif*
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

fuck it...hire David Lawrence
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Interesting tweets here. 1. at least some players are wanting to stick around, 2. Some kind of announcement tonight?

https://twitter.com/swimdad61/status/13 ... 27360?s=20

https://twitter.com/swimdad61/status/13 ... 26337?s=20
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Who is keepsawinwood? What's his/her record?
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We should totally hire a female head coach.
Defense. Rebounds.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Matt Tait mentioned he's heard some names and they have been surprising for sure. Not sure if better than expected or what..?

Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:05 pm Interesting tweets here. 1. at least some players are wanting to stick around, 2. Some kind of announcement tonight?

Give me a fricking break if they "promote from the inside".
In the God damn announcement last night stating that Miles and KU have parted ways, Long claimed they "will begin the search for a new head coach immediately with an outside firm to assist in this process".
If they feel a need to hire an outside firm to hire someone who is already on the "inside" - then they sure as shit need to fire Long, and I say Girod might as well leave too.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:05 pm Interesting tweets here. 1. at least some players are wanting to stick around, 2. Some kind of announcement tonight?

I took Grunhard's second tweet to refer to his weekly evening radio show, on which this will be discussed.