Deleted User 89

Re: Bryce Thompson Transferring

Post by Deleted User 89 »

baylor agrees
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:05 pm baylor agrees
I know that illy has made it clear that everyone makes their own luck, but I can't help but think about how much COVID changed the fortunes for Kansas and Baylor in completely opposite directions.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

COVID outbreaks in the USA one month later and we are looking at a high likelihood of another Final Four plus.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This season’s turnover has been unprecedented though.

TGIF, Tristan, Gethro, Latrell, Bryce all transfer; Och and Jalen pending early departures, and even Snacks gone.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

While we have seen an uptick in transfers, the makeup of this offseason for everyone is going to be unique.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:12 pm This season’s turnover has been unprecedented though.

TGIF, Tristan, Gethro, Latrell, Bryce all transfer; Och and Jalen pending early departures, and even Snacks gone.
Garrett still an unknown too
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

On yeah!

This off-season is so wild that we don’t even know if our graduated senior is even departing!
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:08 pm
I know that illy has made it clear that everyone makes their own luck, but I can't help but think about how much COVID changed the fortunes for Kansas and Baylor in completely opposite directions.
Baylor got covid and went on a slide of bad games (even though they won most of them).

I never said covid wasn't luck. I simply said playing shitty defense and letting worse teams beat you is not bad luck, it is bad performance.

I get it. We're kansas fans so we try to make excuses for our shortcomings. But our numerous upsets in march had WAY more to do with poor performance by our team/coaches than it had to do with bad luck.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Numerous upsets? When was the last time KU was favored in their tourney loss? Not USC. Not Auburn. Not Nova, in the Final Four. Maybe favored against Oregon, don't remember that one off the top of my head.

As far as luck...
Covid when the clear favorite.
Dok broken wrist x2.
Graham fouling out because he was the one person to dive for a loose ball and the pussy who didn't falls on top of him.
Embiid broken back.
Trey Burke 40 footer.

Not saying Kansas doesn't shoulder a portion of the fault, but to ignore the string of "bad luck" is not right. Wichita St is probably the only tourney loss in the last decade you can 100% blame on poor performance.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:53 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:08 pm
Baylor got covid and went on a slide of bad games (even though they won most of them).
Baylor had 2 NBA players return to school because of COVID's impact on the draft. Our 2 NBA players stayed in the draft, not to mention not even give us a tourney shot when we were the runaway favorites.

Baylor had numerous COVID+ tests, in February. We did too, in March.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:29 pm Numerous upsets? When was the last time KU was favored in their tourney loss? Not USC. Not Auburn. Not Nova, in the Final Four. Maybe favored against Oregon, don't remember that one off the top of my head.

As far as luck...
Covid when the clear favorite.
Dok broken wrist x2.
Graham fouling out because he was the one person to dive for a loose ball and the pussy who didn't falls on top of him.
Embiid broken back.
Trey Burke 40 footer.

Not saying Kansas doesn't shoulder a portion of the fault, but to ignore the string of "bad luck" is not right. Wichita St is probably the only tourney loss in the last decade you can 100% blame on poor performance.
whoa, tough stretch

I dunno what to blame for Oregon in KC tho. Josh Jackson had 2 fouls quick and missed much of the 1st half?

Maybe the only good luck we've had is Svi's 3 and Malik catching fire in OT?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:16 pmMaybe the only good luck we've had is Svi's 3 and Malik catching fire in OT?
Playing the 16, 9, 12, and 11 to get to the Final Four when the other 3 other 1 seeds lost in either the Round of 32 or Sweet 16 is about as lucky as it gets.
Deleted User 863

Runaway favorites?

How'd that work out for Gonzaga. We were definitely the best team, but not by some astronomical amount. The favorite doesn't always win. It is sort of sad some of our fans seem to think we won a national title because the tournament didn't happen and we'd have been the #1 overall seed.

Their players came back to improve their draft stock (which they did). Ours felt their stock wasn't going to improve and were ready to move on. Not sure covid impacted those decisions a whole lot at that point.

Their players also wanted to come back and win a national title together. Something to be said about those kind of guys. Hats off to them.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I'm by no means saying they should award KU a title for 2020 just because they were the #1 overall seed. I'm saying that was KU's best chance in recent memory. Elite defense. Dominating big man. AA point guard. And they couldn't play for a title because the tourney gets canceled.

But, no, bad luck has had basically no impact on KU not having a title since 08.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Injuries have been bad luck.
Deleted User 863

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:03 pm I'm by no means saying they should award KU a title for 2020 just because they were the #1 overall seed. I'm saying that was KU's best chance in recent memory. Elite defense. Dominating big man. AA point guard. And they couldn't play for a title because the tourney gets canceled.

But, no, bad luck has had basically no impact on KU not having a title since 08.
Definitely was our best chance since Devonte's senior year. That wasn't THAT long ago.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That 2020 team was awesome. No surprises, everybody knew what we were gonna do, but couldn’t do anything about it.

we just plain too fast at the 1 and big at the 5...and the defensive PoY as the X factor
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Nobody had a bucket getter as dominant as us in 2020. Dok was unstoppable.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 863

After we lost to Baylor we went on a nice win streak. Fucking covid.