Post by ousdahl »

lulz
Cascadia

Re: Coach K

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:28 am
Cascadia wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:25 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:24 am Oh, and I meant to ask:

With K on the way out, who wants to bet Dickie V retires soon as well?
The sooner the better. Dude went from a hype guy to constantly blowing K guy.
Honestly, I think he became aware he gained a rep as a constantly blowing K guy, and seemed to dial back the dook love ever so slightly, in favor of some more generic CBB rah rah.

But dude has been mailing it in for years now. He brings no real insight to the game from a former coach’s perspective or anything. He just regurgitates a bunch of catchphrases that were already old a decade ago.
Yeah, the bolded part is particularly true. The other really annoying thing is talking about a team that's not playing in the game he's calling.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, nothing like hearing all about Duke during a Virginia Tech/wake forest game
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Dick is just too old to be a good commentator anymore and of course the K connection really rubs me the wrong way. Still think he's a good guy that dedicates a ton of his time to philanthropy.

This probably isn't fair, but I just foresee Dick and K going on tours across the country now using Valvano's name for fundraising. Dick, because he truly cares about the cause. K, for the millions in speaker fees.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

In my experience Duke fans are the country club fair weather types. They don’t really follow very closely, and can’t tell you much about CBB or even Duke, but they do know Duke is their favorite team, in that faux wholesome “Duke is the America’s Team of CBB” kinda way, and when they proudly declare they like Duke they didn’t intend it as some friendly prompt to actually discuss hoops, so why are you still trying to talk about hoops, oh and many of them kinda look down their nose at you while they do it, in that Judge Smails kinda way.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:35 am Dick is just too old to be a good commentator anymore and of course the K connection really rubs me the wrong way. Still think he's a good guy that dedicates a ton of his time to philanthropy.

This probably isn't fair, but I just foresee Dick and K going on tours across the country now using Valvano's name for fundraising. Dick, because he truly cares about the cause. K, for the millions in speaker fees.
You think at this point K would really be motivated more by the speaker fees, or just by the chance to be the center of attention?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:40 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:35 am Dick is just too old to be a good commentator anymore and of course the K connection really rubs me the wrong way. Still think he's a good guy that dedicates a ton of his time to philanthropy.

You think at this point K would really be motivated more by the speaker fees, or just by the chance to be the center of attention?
Ya i don't think he'd use JimmyVs foundation for money. He is rich AF.

But he definitely likes the attention. And definitely wanted a farewell tour season even though it could be a distraction for the team.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Decent points, but I think we are trying to say something very similar.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I can just see the onion headlines now.

“Coach K worried his team’s winning streak is taking attention away from his farewell tour”
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

In the words of Curly Bill...."well...bye".
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:23 am Any food Duke fan interactions worth sharing?
He's not doing this to grab attention.
Roy lied to recruits by retiring in April and didn't stick it out for the year at UNC.
He's the GOAT and he can do what he wants.
He's giving the program the best chance to succeed.
Did he do everything right? No. Did he learn from mistakes and own them? Hell yes.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Those are just a few interactions and quotes I've had.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:52 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:23 am Any food Duke fan interactions worth sharing?
He's not doing this to grab attention.
Roy lied to recruits by retiring in April and didn't stick it out for the year at UNC.
He's the GOAT and he can do what he wants.
He's giving the program the best chance to succeed.
Did he do everything right? No. Did he learn from mistakes and own them? Hell yes.
Feels a little similar to the LeBron Stans that believe a charity came to LeBron about doing The Decision and he obliged.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the GOAT of coaching is and will forever be Phog Allen
Deleted User 863

Keep telling yourself that.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i would ask your opinion, but you’d likely just cut and paste what someone else had to say about it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

coach k has done pretty good for himself. he is most likely the greatest college basketball coach of all time. also in the conversation for greatest basketball coach of all time.

he has done pretty good.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

dickie v is a tireless champion/fund raiser for cancer research. he has basically dedicated the last 30 years of his life to raising money for others. his entire platform is used for the betterment of others. for that alone the man is a champion.

he is not so much a broadcaster as he is a champion for others.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:46 am dickie v is a tireless champion/fund raiser for cancer research. he has basically dedicated the last 30 years of his life to raising money for others. his entire platform is used for the betterment of others. for that alone the man is a champion.

he is not so much a broadcaster as he is a champion for others.
Very true. Announcing abilities aside he is a good human.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So dickie v, tell us about your resume. We see here you coached?

“Yeah I did but I sucked, let’s not talk about that.”

Oook. And how about your time in broadcasting?

“It’s awesome bay-bee, I’m prime time, a real PTPer!”

Excuse me?

“That’s pretty much all there is to my broadcast career too.”

So what have you accomplished, Mr. V?

“I’m a champion for others.”

(Not that I wanna take away from the good things he’s done)