‘21 Draft

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: ‘21 Draft

Post by ousdahl »

yea.

Also kinda makes you wonder where we would be if Teahan had as much ink as BMac…
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:29 am
NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:55 am
holidaysmore wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:13 pm Ben wasn't the greatest either at putting it on the floor but he some how got drafted in the seven spot. Och, IMO, is one of those cases that him coming back could really help to elevate his draft position if he can show NBA teams he can be a more consistent shooter, put the ball on the floor and be a more explosive wing.
That was after one year where he was still the team's best player. Not 3rd year while being, at best, the team's 2nd best player.

This also goes along with what someone said earlier about Och would have been drafted higher after his freshman season than he would be right now. Ben was a guy that was an elite athlete and also had a buttery smooth jumper. If Ben came back for another year, or 2, as Och did, then there is no way he would be the 7th pick.

He barely gets into the first round in articles about redrafting that class.
He wouldn't have been drafted higher after his freshman season than now. He wouldn't have been drafted at all after his freshman season. He has just been a pro prospect since his freshman season due to his athleticism.
Och was late first round/early second on a couple mocks after his freshman year. He's barely on the board now. He may not have been drafted higher, but certainly wouldn't have been any lower.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I know there was hype after he pulled the shirt but I honestly don't think, if he actually went through the process that year, he would have been drafted in the top 40 that half season.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, it’s hard to imagine.

But I guess the reason he’s not any better now than then draft wise is he really hasn’t developed his game much since.

Slightly better stats despite becoming more featured on offense, but still inconsistent and limited skill set.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Yeah, that hype was based on the first handful of games he started. Teams took recognition.

They wouldn't have ignored the last ~10 games of the year just because they liked what they saw in january and early february.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Remember when Och checked in for the first time and Self promptly ran a lob play for him?

Welcome to the team.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Self recruits streaky combo guards and tough PGs. Shoot when hot, drive when not (tm)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Och was kind of a no-brainer as far as recruiting goes.

Uber athlete local kid who flew under the radar recruiting wise.

But then again, that’s also the kind of kid who tends to get recruited over, not be the focal point on the team.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Just a late bloomer. If he hit his growth spurt a year earlier, he would have been top 40.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Agbaji grew a reported 9 inches between 9th grade and 11th grade. I suppose that's a bit late. I started 8th grade at 5'2" and 10th grade at 6'2".
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, and combine with that he didn’t hit the AAU circuit until after 11th grade (iirc).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ESPN has Och going 59.

If that’s a consensus, good luck to Och.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think I saw Marcus at like 84?

No mention of Jalen.

Also Grimey at 70 lol how did so many miss on that dood?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:32 am
Also Grimey at 70 lol how did so many miss on that dood?
I think because he's cut from the same cloth as Ben Simmons in a way. Coming out of high school he checked so many boxes that people overlooked his inability to shoot.

Now he's 3 years removed from that ranking and twice has fallen into the group that the incoming freshman are automatically better than without even playing a minute past high school. A group he was once a part of. Even though he just led a Houston team to the Final Four and a Top 10 ranking most of the season while shooting 40% from 3 (his weakness). He could still be more aggressive and get better finishing in traffic and with contact, but I still see him having a decent pro career.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

He's just not very athletic or explosive. And he's pudgy. So you better be able to distribute (nope) or shoot lights out (nope).

Had he stayed at Kansas and had a better attitude with the staff, he would have been like the guard version of Perry Ellis. 4 year player, 1st team conference, little or no NBA minutes, and fans would really like and overrate him.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Agreed. There's a reason I said pro career and not NBA career, lol. Overhyped out of HS, but still going to make a lot of money somewhere.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Some Matt Tait spin, but he's kinda right, Och's measurements didn't negatively surprise:

A couple of quick notes about Agbaji’s measurements, all of which were in line with what was expected and put Agbaji in a favorable light as an NBA prospect:

• His wingspan was the fifth longest among all shooting guards at the combine.

• His standing reach — which is exactly what it sounds like: how high his hand touches while standing flat-footed — was the third best among all guards at the combine.

• His body fat percentage was the third lowest of all players at the combine.

• His weight, mostly muscle of course, is up 4-5 pounds from what he was listed at for most of the 2020-21 season.

• His hand length was tied for the longest among all guards at the combine
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

League him.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:19 am Some Matt Tait spin, but he's kinda right, Och's measurements didn't negatively surprise:

A couple of quick notes about Agbaji’s measurements, all of which were in line with what was expected and put Agbaji in a favorable light as an NBA prospect:

• His wingspan was the fifth longest among all shooting guards at the combine.

• His standing reach — which is exactly what it sounds like: how high his hand touches while standing flat-footed — was the third best among all guards at the combine.

• His body fat percentage was the third lowest of all players at the combine.

• His weight, mostly muscle of course, is up 4-5 pounds from what he was listed at for most of the 2020-21 season.

• His hand length was tied for the longest among all guards at the combine
1 & 2 matter a lot. But Och doesn't seem to use his length much.

#3 only matters if it's high...coming in 3rd lowest doesn't mean much

4. Matters, but again, Och doesn't seem to use his physical gifts as much as he could

5. Not super important, unless hands are so small you can't palm a ball. Have heard that larger hands can be a detriment to shooting

So...if you're a GM, do you think you can get Och to become a physical guard? Or is he the player he is, which is more on the passive side?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

They've taken chances on guys with a lot less. I think if he works hard and can continue to improve then he has a chance.