Medical Issues

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Medical Issues

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:22 pm Fingers crossed for a good recovery for you twocoach.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:19 pm Just got back home from back surgery. Outpatient microdiscectomy to remove a chunk of stuff that had been pressing on a nerve. Loopy doopy still but functioning. Nice to be out of the hospital and back in my comfy bed. Time for some good tunes and nap time. Rock Chalk.
Bourbon, you forgot bourbon.

Hope it went well.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sorry to learn this twocoach, but hopefully you're now on the mend.

It must have been miserable, as you had said in a previous post, because nobody chooses to have back surgery unless they have to.

I'll be hoping for the best for you, and a speedy recovery.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Hey Toni (Kukoc/twocoach) - Glad you got yourself taken care of and hopefully the surgery went well.
In honor of you and your surgery I present to you some on topic Berman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A57QQUjeanU
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:19 pm Just got back home from back surgery. Outpatient microdiscectomy to remove a chunk of stuff that had been pressing on a nerve. Loopy doopy still but functioning. Nice to be out of the hospital and back in my comfy bed. Time for some good tunes and nap time. Rock Chalk.
Only just now saw this. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and excellent outcome.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Any surgery is tough. I am grateful all went well!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I wasn't sure whether or not to post this here, but it's good news, and who can't use some of that.

Hope you're improving, twocoach?

The more I see of him, the better I like him.

Rep Raskin's son committed suicide within the last couple of years, and then not long afterward he was diagnosed with cancer.

Let's hope the wind is at your back now, Jamie.

U.S. Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md., has officially finished his chemotherapy, announcing on Twitter that his cancer is in remission. He celebrated by ringing the bell at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital.

https://youtu.be/S9-TATpBuKY
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Raskin would be my choice as President, honestly.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Feral wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:17 am I wasn't sure whether or not to post this here, but it's good news, and who can't use some of that.

Hope you're improving, twocoach?

The more I see of him, the better I like him.

Rep Raskin's son committed suicide within the last couple of years, and then not long afterward he was diagnosed with cancer.

Let's hope the wind is at your back now, Jamie.

U.S. Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md., has officially finished his chemotherapy, announcing on Twitter that his cancer is in remission. He celebrated by ringing the bell at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital.

https://youtu.be/S9-TATpBuKY
Headed the right direction; thanks to all of you for your thoughts and well wishes.

No parent should ever have to bury their child; my hat is off to anyone who can find a way to function in a positive manner after that. To add lymphoma on top of that is just cruel. Raskin seems to be intelligent and competent and has long been a champion of legalizing marijuana and for same-sex marriage. It will be interesting to see how his political career plays out over the next 10 years.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

For the second time in a month or so, I woke up with my right foot/ankle feeling just...wrong. Walking very gingerly, one stair at a time, etc. It feels (in both cases) like I sprained it a week ago...but of course I didn't. It's been several years since the last time I rolled the ankle etc.

Any ideas? Arthritis maybe? I'm just confused, I can't think of any recent injury, it's not swelling. Last time it was pretty much better the next day and then felt normal the day after that.

I wouldn't think you can sleep wrong on a foot, but who knows.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:45 pm For the second time in a month or so, I woke up with my right foot/ankle feeling just...wrong. Walking very gingerly, one stair at a time, etc. It feels (in both cases) like I sprained it a week ago...but of course I didn't. It's been several years since the last time I rolled the ankle etc.

Any ideas? Arthritis maybe? I'm just confused, I can't think of any recent injury, it's not swelling. Last time it was pretty much better the next day and then felt normal the day after that.

you've gotta be pushing 40 right?

I wake up like that many days. Old injuries? just the way it goes.

Ive got my left ankle that stiffens up often. I tore ligaments in it years ago and rolled it many times playing hoops. Ive got cartilage floating around in my right knee and a torn meniscus in that knee.....it will randomly just give out or get the cartilage pieces stuck and it stiffens up and hurts. My collarbone I broke gets super tender some days, got 3 ribs that I broke when I got wallop by a halfcut steer and pinned, they flare up and get tender.

Just age and life......usually if I keep moving and keep going they loosen up and get better. zworst thing you can do is sit and "rest it'....never helps me, that just lets the blood pool and make a tender spot swell and become more tender.

keep moving.....thats the best advice I got
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:45 pm For the second time in a month or so, I woke up with my right foot/ankle feeling just...wrong. Walking very gingerly, one stair at a time, etc. It feels (in both cases) like I sprained it a week ago...but of course I didn't. It's been several years since the last time I rolled the ankle etc.

Tendonitis secondary to your own immune system (arthritis) is possible. Could be Uric acid build-up based on a very rich diet or genetics. Gout.
Note: arthritis does tend to attack areas previously injured
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:59 pm

you've gotta be pushing 40 right?

I wake up like that many days. Old injuries? just the way it goes.

Ive got my left ankle that stiffens up often. I tore ligaments in it years ago and rolled it many times playing hoops. Ive got cartilage floating around in my right knee and a torn meniscus in that knee.....it will randomly just give out or get the cartilage pieces stuck and it stiffens up and hurts. My collarbone I broke gets super tender some days, got 3 ribs that I broke when I got wallop by a halfcut steer and pinned, they flare up and get tender.

Just age and life......usually if I keep moving and keep going they loosen up and get better. zworst thing you can do is sit and "rest it'....never helps me, that just lets the blood pool and make a tender spot swell and become more tender.

keep moving.....thats the best advice I got
Pushing 40, yes. Just so weird, I injured this foot pretty badly five or six years ago, but it hasn't given me any trouble since.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Transient pain like what you describe can be difficult to diagnose without, and sometimes even with imaging it. TDub and Sparko have posited a number of likely possibilities.

Early osteoarthritis, (wear and tear/effects of gravity and aging) comes to mind, among the other things already mentioned. Ligaments that have been injured before and have scar tissue that gets stressed and inflamed when you've slept with the ankle in a weird position that become apparent when you then change to weight-bearing...

The good news is that it isn't likely a significant problem* since it goes away so quickly. But if it becomes more frequent or begins to last longer and especially if it limits your normal acivity, you should have someone take a look at it.

*I'm assuming since you mentioned there's no swelling that there isn't any redness or heat, and it isn't tender to the touch in one specific place, either, or you would have mentioned it...?
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I used to get the gout. Could be it. Most guys get it in the big toe. I usually got it in my knees and sometimes my ankles. Once, both ankles at the same time. Ouch.

Hope you're better soon.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Could be just wear and tear from all the ankle breakers you put on randy here.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Doesn't it say in...Leviticus, "...and if thy foot offend thee, cut it off"

or something?
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:21 pm Could be just wear and tear from all the ankle breakers you put on randy here.
I do that sitting down, or even hanging from the monkey bars if I’m feeling cheeky.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Fish, sounds like you’ve got a case of “the olds”

welcome to the club
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?