Baseball

Other Sports.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Baseball

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:11 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:09 am
pdub wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:37 pm Clemens cheated.
Bonds cheated.
Sosa cheated.
Arod cheated twice.
All but Sosa should be shoo-ins, and Sosa should probably be in.

Museums are for what happened, not whether what happened was good.

Those guys were orders of magnitude better than guys playing in the same (tainted) era. That's the bar.
My argument is that you can have a separate "museum" if that's what you want (and there are plenty).
The Hall of Fame can set whatever requirements they want for inclusion.
Well, the only requirement is the voting, so it is what it is. The voters (and the votes) speak for themselves.

I just think the voters are being silly.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Which is fair but begs this question.

Do you think cheaters should be punished? If so, how?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, the requirement for the BB HOF is getting a checkmark from haughty weirdos like Dan Shaughnessy.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:14 am Which is fair but begs this question.

I'm not trying to be flip - they should be punished in accordance with the rules in place when they played.

Bonds and Clemens didn't break the rules, and so there was no cause for punishment.

A-Rod did, and he was punished.

If you want to go through the HoF and pluck out every cheater, wifebeater, druggie and so on...you'll need a few dumpsters.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

That would be a time to mention Schilling, then. The thing about Schilling, though, is even if he was a stand-up, likable guy, his case would still be pretty borderline, IMO. Clemens and Bonds are all-timers. Ty Cobb, too.

You would think that a good portion of the BBWA rode their horses to watch Christy Matthewson throw back-to-back no hitters in the 1905 World Series and are here to protect some integrity a century later.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:20 am

I'm not trying to be flip - they should be punished in accordance with the rules in place when they played.

Bonds and Clemens didn't break the rules, and so there was no cause for punishment.

If you want to go through the HoF and pluck out every cheater, wifebeater, druggie and so on...you'll need a few dumpsters.
I don't disagree, but there are more rules at play than just the rules of baseball.

Somewhat related. I love the argument that says "Steroids aren't against the rules" No, but they're against the law asshole. You can't murder someone on the football field and tell the judge there in nothing in the NFL rule book against murder.

Society has rules, some of them unwritten.

Another example. You may have freedom of speech but if you walk into black neighborhood shouting the n-word, expect to get your ass kicked (at a minimum).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:33 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:20 am

I don't disagree, but there are more rules at play than just the rules of baseball.

Somewhat related. I love the argument that says "Steroids aren't against the rules" No, but they're against the law asshole. You can't murder someone on the football field and tell the judge there in nothing in the NFL rule book against murder.

Society has rules, some of them unwritten.

Another example. You may have freedom of speech but if you walk into black neighborhood shouting the n-word, expect to get your ass kicked (at a minimum).
Obviously mileage varies a lot on this topic. To me, with rare exception, the Baseball Hall of Fame is about baseball.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:29 am That would be a time to mention Schilling, then. The thing about Schilling, though, is even if he was a stand-up, likable guy, his case would still be pretty borderline, IMO. Clemens and Bonds are all-timers. Ty Cobb, too.

You would think that a good portion of the BBWA rode their horses to watch Christy Matthewson throw back-to-back no hitters in the 1905 World Series and are here to protect some integrity a century later.
Schilling openly advocating for violence against journalists is one of those rare exceptions, for me.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Eh, I argue that you can't take life out of anything.

No matter how good of a RB you are, you can't Mike Tyson your lady in an elevator.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:37 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:29 am That would be a time to mention Schilling, then. The thing about Schilling, though, is even if he was a stand-up, likable guy, his case would still be pretty borderline, IMO. Clemens and Bonds are all-timers. Ty Cobb, too.

Schilling openly advocating for violence against journalists is one of those rare exceptions, for me.
Above all else, that's awful. But that's also shitting where you eat.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:38 am Eh, I argue that you can't take life out of anything.

No matter how good of a RB you are, you can't Mike Tyson your lady in an elevator.
Sure. I don't know where the line is, but for me it's definitely somewhere in between (1) doing something many/most/nearly all of your peers are doing, to gain a competitive advantage in your sport, and (2) rape.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:38 am Eh, I argue that you can't take life out of anything.

I don't think steroids are murder, though. Steroid users were both pitching and batting in the roid era.

And there are steroid users in the hall. Probably murderers, too.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

You two just compared punching a woman to rape and murder.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:45 am You two just compared punching a woman to rape and murder.
I was going off your comment about murdering someone on the football field--now seeing that it was two different posts.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

As for someone like Barry Bonds. Dude was fucking belittling prick to everyone in the media (and most of his teammates) his entire career.

Why do you think these people would vote for you?

Life has consequences. Don't be an idiot.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:47 am
Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:45 am You two just compared punching a woman to rape and murder.
I was going off your comment about murdering someone on the football field--now seeing that it was two different posts.

Fair, no worries.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:48 am As for someone like Barry Bonds. Dude was fucking belittling prick to everyone in the media (and most of his teammates) his entire career.

Why do you think these people would vote for you?

Life has consequences. Don't be an idiot.
Oh no doubt. I'm not suggesting some great travesty has occurred. I just get annoyed by the righteous indignation of certain writers...whose careers were probably in fact saved by the horse-steroid-fueled post-strike home run boom.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Problem is, some of those guys were not cheating...when the others were ( steroids ).

Not a fan of rewarding cheating.
Some people are.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:18 pm Problem is, some of those guys were not cheating...when the others were ( steroids ).

Not a fan of rewarding cheating.
Some people are.
How do you feel about rewarding cheaters who just didn't get caught?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Not great.
But the guys listed were.