BBQ

You Love It.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: BBQ

Post by pdub »

I prefer Carolina's coleslaw.
The sauce isn't for me. Too watery.
And Texas with no sauce just can be too dry, even if their meat is tender.

Give me a lighter touch than standard amount of the molasses, apple juice, brown sugar, paprika/cayenne and celery seed based sauces - that's KC style without a slather.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Lately I've been doing smoked sausage with a carolina mustard sauce and rib tips with a spicy red sauce.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

The original KC BBQ sauce is Bryant's and it isn't sweet or particularly tomato-y. I blame that abomination KC Masterpiece for the false perception that KC sauce = sweet.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that's a good point.

and Bryant's has a little paprika in it, right?

IIRC Gates is robust and tomatoey but not that sweet too
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Gates has sugar as an ingredient, but isn't that sweet.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Gates is more pepper-y or even spicy.

And the greatest sauce ever made.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

^^^^^
give me spice over sweet all day every day
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I have met several folks recently who are turned off to Gates for some reason. I haven't been there in a while, are they as surly and expensive now? That is the gist of it. Joe's on the other hand is getting raves. I think it is likely marketplace comfort.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I had the worst burnt end sammich ever at the Gates on State Line. Haven't been back since. Brobeck's is way better and in the same hood. I do like Gates sauce and always have some on hand.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

man now I'm craving Gates.

can't believe the only sauce I brought back from KC was a gallon of Night Of The Living.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Gates Original and Bryants Rich & Spicy.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Chicago BBQ typically = A lot of not very good places that people love. Tomorrow our company is feeding all the employees Robinsons. Robinsons is known for their ribs. Meanwhile, they are not feeding us ribs.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jhawks99 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:56 pm I had the worst burnt end sammich ever at the Gates on State Line. Haven't been back since.
That Gates on State can be sketchy AF.

In the mid 90s, we were there right as a guy got his forehead canoed by some other guy with a .45 at that pond across the street
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

State Line? In Leawood?
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I've been to the OG and the one on Brooklyn Ave.
The Brooklyn Ave one I remember going to for the first time in the early 2000's and that felt more sketchy AF.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:28 pm State Line? In Leawood?
Sorry, I meant State Avenue

Used to be there by Big 11 lake
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Allsome
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So I’m not a fan of souvenir type stuff. I particularly don’t like wearing stuff that’s a blatant advertisement for some brand. “Eat at Smokin’ Yards BBQ Trademark” no thanks.

With that said, I do like a good design. A logo or symbol or something creative and clever that has a little more thought put into it than your average shameless marketing pitch.

So when I stopped by Smokin’ Yards on my way to the airport and saw this hat, I actually wanted it. No ad pitch, no text, just a simplified pig nose sort of design that sorta becomes something within itself. Or something more than itself? Or something.

Besides, I’ve already done enough advertising for Smokin’ Yards in this thread. Little hole in the wall joint with solid bbq that manages to feel like something authentic, despite being smack dab in the middle of yall’s Colorado new money tourist trap I70 corridor.

Brisket sammich and fries on special. Delish! Brisket was juicy and tender, perfectly toasted hoagie bun, heaping portion of fresh crispy fries. Also had to get a side of their southern style green beans, with the big chunks of pork in em. So good I might have to stop and get it on my way back from the airport too.

The hat itself came in two different colors. There was an earth-tone-y brown and green one, but go figure I opted for the crimson and blue instead.

Anywho, here’s me wearing my new hat in front of the beautiful, clean, clear, cold, clean, clear, beautiful waters of Michigan.

Is that your boat out there, Michhawk?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I used to have a hat from a cool little place outside Lolo Montana. The Lumberjack Saloon...great hat, nice fit, forest camo. good logo. In very small writing on the back right side it said "Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver" - small enough you really has to try to see it and read it. Until I had that hat, I had no idea how many people actually read what's written on hats......
Just Ledoux it