Mahomie

Kansas Football.
holidaysmore

Re: Mahomie

Post by holidaysmore »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:54 pm And it looks like this thread is more about Eric Berry.

So, my uninformed question is: the 610 afternoon guys said all summer not to expect much of anything out of Berry or Houston this season b/c it's so hard to come back. That seemed reasonable. Are these happenings w/ Berry that shocking or should draw this much ire?
It has drawn the public ire because the Chiefs or Berry or both made this a literal day to day spectacle. You then add the fact that the Chiefs defense was awful, especially in the secondary and for the first time in I can't even remember how long the Chiefs have a legitimate shot to get to the Super Bowl. Lets not forget that around the trade deadline the Chiefs didn't aggressively go out and get safety or secondary help. I can distinctly remember national and local media saying that it wasn't going to be a big deal because there wasn't anyone available (save for ET before his injury) that would be better than Eric Berry.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:51 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:54 pm And it looks like this thread is more about Eric Berry.

So, my uninformed question is: the 610 afternoon guys said all summer not to expect much of anything out of Berry or Houston this season b/c it's so hard to come back. That seemed reasonable. Are these happenings w/ Berry that shocking or should draw this much ire?
It has drawn the public ire because the Chiefs or Berry or both made this a literal day to day spectacle. You then add the fact that the Chiefs defense was awful, especially in the secondary and for the first time in I can't even remember how long the Chiefs have a legitimate shot to get to the Super Bowl. Lets not forget that around the trade deadline the Chiefs didn't aggressively go out and get safety or secondary help. I can distinctly remember national and local media saying that it wasn't going to be a big deal because there wasn't anyone available (save for ET before his injury) that would be better than Eric Berry.
I truly think they had a deal almost done for Earl Thomas before he broke his leg. Neither side will admit it, but Terez Paylor of Yahoo Sports (Formerly of KC Star) mentioned it was very close.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:15 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:57 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 pm

The contract is the contract. My brother thinks he should pull a Gil Meche and retire and give up the rest of the money.

Of course that is absurd.
I am sure your brother would be first in line to forego a bunch of money he fairly bargained and contracted to receive. I guess maybe if it meant early retirement . . .
It remains bizarre to me that people consistently take the position that the owners should get more money.
It's not the owner in this case but the salary cap.
If I suddenly could not do what I did well for whatever reason, I would work with the company to come to a fair agreement.
i.e. Gil Meche or Colorado State coach.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Newton I agree with you that had he not got hurt ET would be in a Chiefs jersey right now. What an ideal situation that would have been. That isn't to say the Chiefs don't go after him in the offseason.

Mentally I'm not sure if EB can ever get back to where he once was. Dude has been through a lot and no one would ever question if he hung it up. If that is the case I would wonder if the Chiefs and EB didn't sit down and try and work out the remaining money situation.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

shindig wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:08 pm I guess I'm a bad fan, I still don't own any Chiefs gear...tons of Royals and KU gear. I might have to pick up a Mahomes head band.
you’re not alone
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Chiefs colors are just so damn ugly
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

People are just on edge, bracing for "Friggin' Chiefs". This little nugget I saw about this "great run" the Colts defense is on makes me personally feel better. Outside of Deshaun Watson, who is excellent, the other QBs the Colts have gone against in their hot streak are Derek Anderson, Derek Carr, Blake Bortles, Marcus Mariota (left with injury), Ryan Tannehill, Cody Kessler, Dak Prescott, Eli Manning and Blaine Gabbert. Not very many MVP contenders on that list.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:06 pm Chiefs colors are just so damn ugly
Yeah, my wife cheers for them but will never be a fan wearing their gear because she thinks their stuff looks like a McDonald's employee.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:09 pm

People are just on edge, bracing for "Friggin' Chiefs". This little nugget I saw about this "great run" the Colts defense is on makes me personally feel better. Outside of Deshaun Watson, who is excellent, the other QBs the Colts have gone against in their hot streak are Derek Anderson, Derek Carr, Blake Bortles, Marcus Mariota (left with injury), Ryan Tannehill, Cody Kessler, Dak Prescott, Eli Manning and Blaine Gabbert. Not very many MVP contenders on that list.
Cartoon I saw this past November:
Manning family Thanksgiving. Father: “Eli, can you pass the ham? On second thought, you better let Peyton do it.”
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:09 pm

I fully believe the Chiefs are going to beat the Colts but I sure as heck am not going to discount the Colt's success in going 10-1 in their last 11 games.
As Clemson will tell you, you can only beat who you play. If who you beat isn't good enough for the doubters, prove them wrong when you play their team.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I am not discounting it. Just also on edge, trying to talk myself into feeling less nauseous about the game.

It's like waiting for the Sweet Sixteen games to start.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:06 pm Chiefs colors are just so damn ugly
I don't mind the colors, it's a classic look, not flashy, sort of like the Steelers or Packers.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

The way I view this game is simple. If the Colts are to win the Chiefs will have to beat themselves. The Colts best doesn't beat the Chiefs best. The Chiefs are the better team.
Turnovers, penalties, drop passes, etc. will be the recipe for a Chiefs loss. Something fluky. KC doesn't have to do anything extra from what they have done all season to win.

My keys:
Defense: Use the home crowd and get after Luck. Make him beat you beat with 20+ yard throws down the field. Make Indy kick FGs, get off the field on 3rd and force turnovers. Not rocket scientist.

Offense: Attack. Attack. Attack. A two score lead makes this a completely different game. If they are in a Tampa 2 attack the middle of the field. Flood concepts. Four verts. If they are dropping LBs use draw plays and inside screens to Williams. For Mahomes. Let it rip. Go out and be the same player you have been all year. The damn MVP. I want to see Reid aggressive from the first snap to the last.

Special teams: Don't be the reason why the Chiefs lose.

Coaching: Be aggressive. Even if you get a two score lead make it three. If you have the opportunity for a kill shot take it. I want to see Andy trust Mahomes to go win this game.
Holidaysmore - 2005
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Yes to all of that. Go out and take the win. Dont just sit back and try not to lose.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I have a feeling the Colts’ attack is going to be quick hitting passes. Don’t let the rush get to Luck, and bet on the Chiefs missing tackles.

That is...a very good plan.
shindig

Post by shindig »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:38 am I have a feeling the Colts’ attack is going to be quick hitting passes. Don’t let the rush get to Luck, and bet on the Chiefs missing tackles.

Yep, and of course with Berry most likely out, it makes it all the worse for the Chiefs. Gotta hope we get some defensive turnovers. If you can't tackle, strip the freaking ball.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:38 am I have a feeling the Colts’ attack is going to be quick hitting passes. Don’t let the rush get to Luck, and bet on the Chiefs missing tackles.

That is what they do. Short passes and run the ball. Ball control. Try and limit the amount of hits that Luck takes. That is why that two score lead is so huge. Make them get outside their comfort zone. Obvious passing situations favor the home team.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I heard a pretty stunning stat yesterday, that 29 of the 49 TD drives against the Chiefs this year included a pass interference or defensive holding penalty.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

it’s really a huge problem

and while some of it is due to being outmatched athletically, it’s more about mental fortitude imo
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:34 am I heard a pretty stunning stat yesterday, that 29 of the 49 TD drives against the Chiefs this year included a pass interference or defensive holding penalty.
I'd say over half of those were on Scandrick. And he no longer plays. The penalties on the defensive backfield have been way down since Ward entered the lineup at corner.

In fact. Against Oakland, the Chiefs had 4 penalties. 2 on offense and 2 on ST. Not a single penalty on the defense. That was huge because Oakland did the same offense Indy wants except they suck at running the ball. Short passes and try to move the ball that way.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG