Major housing crash coming this winter or sooner

Ugh.
shindig

Re: Major housing crash coming this winter or sooner

Post by shindig »

Neighbors house went up for sale a few days ago. I think she's asking too much, haven't seen much activity over there.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/222-E-72nd ... 9303_zpid/
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Nice house. I couldn't deal with that kitchen, so pass at any price.
Defense. Rebounds.
shindig

Post by shindig »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:32 am Nice house. I couldn't deal with that kitchen, so pass at any price.
Yeah I agree. I was helping her neighbor directly to the east this past weekend using an auger to drill some post holes (it was a 2 person auger). I noticed the side needed new paint on the stucco and the carport looks like it's about to fall over. For $360k, the house better have an updated kitchen and fresh coat of paint.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Do not like those archway/door shapes at all.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Every home renovation show on HGTV during thewalk through: "I LOVE those arched doorways, we HAVE to incorporate them into the final design!"

Every home renovation shoe on HGTV during the reveal: squared off doorways.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yea...part of that is cost. Its way more labor to produce a quality archway.

I appreciate a quality archway simply for craftsmanship. But i dont prefer the look.

*qualifier: if its stone its not significantly harder. This is why archways were common with stonework....particularly non-reinforced archways with walls that had no bond beams.....in fact, in that case....its stronger and easier.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I like the archway. The kitchen, sux.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

All of my parents houses passways sre arches....it looks good. But thats because its all lath and plaster. Lath and plaster does not make good, clean, sharp 90s. You can hide that with a door jamb and trim...you cant in a passway. Especially difficult in 1916.
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

My house looks very similar inside, it's also a Dible Tudor and it has the arch doorways. I like it, but I'm also a fan of older homes. Mine was built in 1928. My kitchen is more update to date with newer maple cabinets, granite countertops and all stainless steel appliances, but it is still narrow and not a lot of room to mingle.

It's just how those houses were built back in the day. Kitchens weren't massive like they are now. But it is also lower maintenance than a 3k square foot house out in the suburbs with trees that are only 10 ft tall. I love the 90+ year old Oak trees that line my block.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I like old houses. I like smaller houses. Large houses just gather "stuff".

Old houses are more work to maintain but they are typically built so much more soundly.
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

TDub wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:23 am I like old houses. I like smaller houses. Large houses just gather "stuff".

Old houses are more work to maintain but they are typically built so much more soundly.
Yes, very true. Older home do require more general maintenance, but I enjoy it most of the time. And the stone foundations are solid, I mean nothing is stronger than stone. I think my stone foundation is around 20" wide.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:23 am I like old houses. I like smaller houses. Large houses just gather "stuff".

You'd think that "built more soundly" would equate to "requires less maintenance". Do well built cars require more maintenance?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:21 pm

You'd think that "built more soundly" would equate to "requires less maintenance". Do well built cars require more maintenance?
100+ years is a long time. Home construction today is generally fast, cheap, mass produced, not directly performed or directed by the occupant, and a lot of corners are cut.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

All things require maintenance over time.

I think he is mostly referencing the "bones" of older properties....and i am sure that older is better philosophy phases out at a certain point.

The biggest pain in the ass i see on older houses is getting the plumbing and electrical up to today's standards for things many people expect in a house.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:23 pm

100+ years is a long time. Home construction today is generally fast, cheap, mass produced, not directly performed or directed by the occupant, and a lot of corners are cut.
Just weird how our opinions of old stuff and new stuff change. If you told me that your neighbor built his house himself, I would have serious concerns about it's quality. But the occupant performing the home construction 100 years ago is seen as a positive from a quality perspective. It's just an interesting phenomenon.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:07 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:23 pm
Just weird how our opinions of old stuff and new stuff change. If you told me that your neighbor built his house himself, I would have serious concerns about it's quality. But the occupant performing the home construction 100 years ago is seen as a positive from a quality perspective. It's just an interesting phenomenon.
Its not "who" did it thats important, its how it was done and why. You care more about a place you are going to live at and pass down through your family.

The guy framing 45 houses on a 5 acre plot doesnt give a crap if those hoises make it 10 years.
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:26 pm

All things require maintenance over time.

I think he is mostly referencing the "bones" of older properties....and i am sure that older is better philosophy phases out at a certain point.

The biggest pain in the ass i see on older houses is getting the plumbing and electrical up to today's standards for things many people expect in a house.
This is very true. I had all of my plumbing updated shortly after I bought the house (upgraded to all copper). Most of the wiring has been updated (i.e. kitchen and bathrooms with romex), but not all the wiring inside the walls have been updated (I think it was probably all updated in the 50's-60's) because originally my house had knob and tubing. You can still see the remnants in some areas but nothing is live.
shindig

Post by shindig »

But the windows in my house are original as well, which doesn't happen with today's windows. These were all made from old growth, center cut Oak. I had a couple guys from Old Time Windows come in last year and re-tune and re-rope all the windows (14 total). They still open and close like new. I also have storm windows on, so they are not as efficient as new windows, but I'm not spending a $1k/window for really good ones. Vinyl doesn't count as a "good" window, those are garbage and look stupid on a 100 year old house.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

The crash is definitely being felt in Colorado.

When we passed through the Springs we noticed that a house a couple of doors down from ours was just listed for sale. It is essentially the same size as ours; 2500 sf mid 1950's ranch in very good condition. But the floor plan is not as good in some respects for our purposes; smaller room for kitchen, master bedroom and living room. Ours has more updated finishes. We also have a 400 sf stand alone garage off the alley whereas there is part of the house. They listed this one at $70K more than we paid for ours 3 months ago, that ends up being 17% jump in price/sf. We will wait to see if they get the asking, hell it might sell for more. There aren't many homes for sale in our part of town.

Yes, Comrade Ousy....we own three houses, just because we can.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’ll allow it.

It’s just like Marx said in the dot-com-unist manifesto:

capitalism is actually pretty cool when it’s being used to rub it in the face of the little squirt who started this thread.