March Madness 2022

Kansas Basketball.
MICHHAWK

Re: March Madness 2022

Post by MICHHAWK »

this thursday evenings schedule of games looks wonderful.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:48 am What a weird tourney. The worst P6 conference this year, the ACC, got as many teams through to the Sweet Sixteen as the best P6 conference this year, the Big 12.

And for those who say that we need less mediocre teams from P6 conferences in the tourney, not more... of the teams ranked 8th or worse to make the Sweet Sixteen, all but one were from power conferences.

8th seeded North Carolina
10th seed Miami
11th seed Michigan
11th seed Iowa State

Only 15th seed Saint Peter's came from out side the power conferences to make the Sweet Sixteen.
Also Gonzaga.

Another oddity is that Och is the only consensus first team AA to make the Sweet 16.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Seriously though, the more I've thought about it, good for Iowa State.

2-22 last year. New coach this year. Streaky team. Won a lot to start, then lost a lot, then won a handful or so in a row and then lost 4 straight or so to end the year and then this little run.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Just three of the eight match ups are "to seed".

Thursday:

#4 Arkansas vs #1 Gonzaga 5:09pm CT CBS
#11 Michigan vs #2 Villanova 5:29pm CT TBS
#3 Texas Tech vs #2 Duke 7:39pm CT CBS
#5 Houston vs #1 Arizona 7:59pm CT TBS

Friday:

#15 Saint Peters vs #3 Purdue 5:09pm CT CBS
#4 Providence vs #1 Kansas 5:29pm CT TBS
#8 North Carolina vs #4 UCLA 7:39pm CT CBS
#11 Iowa State vs #10 Miami 7:59pm CT TBS
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:58 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:48 am What a weird tourney. The worst P6 conference this year, the ACC, got as many teams through to the Sweet Sixteen as the best P6 conference this year, the Big 12.

And for those who say that we need less mediocre teams from P6 conferences in the tourney, not more... of the teams ranked 8th or worse to make the Sweet Sixteen, all but one were from power conferences.

10th seed Miami
11th seed Michigan
11th seed Iowa State

Only 15th seed Saint Peter's came from out side the power conferences to make the Sweet Sixteen.
Also Gonzaga.

Another oddity is that Och is the only consensus first team AA to make the Sweet 16.
Just "of the teams ranked 8th or worse". Just pointing out that there have been arguments over whether we should have more P6 bubble teams in the field vs. smaller conference teams. The bottom end of the P6 pool repped themselves very well this year.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:03 am

10th seed Miami
11th seed Michigan
11th seed Iowa State

Also Gonzaga.

Just "of the teams ranked 8th or worse". Just pointing out that there have been arguments over whether we should have more P6 bubble teams in the field vs. smaller conference teams. The bottom end of the P6 pool repped themselves very well this year.
Nobody argued mediocre power 6 conference teams are worse than 15/16 seeds. Simply that auto qualifying shitty 15/16 seeds should not have additonal play in games so that we can squeeze in more mediocre power 6 conference teams.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

10th seed Miami
11th seed Michigan
11th seed Iowa State

Also Gonzaga.

Gotcha--your last sentence looked like it stood on its own. There was an argument out there after Thursday that the 5th year of eligibility meant mid-majors were going to fare better, but seems it's about the same as any other season, if not worse for mid-majors.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:02 am Just three of the eight match ups are "to seed".

Thursday:

#4 Arkansas vs #1 Gonzaga 5:09pm CT CBS
#11 Michigan vs #2 Villanova 5:29pm CT TBS
#3 Texas Tech vs #2 Duke 7:39pm CT CBS
#5 Houston vs #1 Arizona 7:59pm CT TBS

Friday:

#15 Saint Peters vs #3 Purdue 5:09pm CT CBS
#4 Providence vs #1 Kansas 5:29pm CT TBS
#8 North Carolina vs #4 UCLA 7:39pm CT CBS
#11 Iowa State vs #10 Miami 7:59pm CT TBS
I'd say four - a 5/1 matchup is, for all intents and purposes, to seed.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:12 am

Also Gonzaga.

Nobody argued mediocre power 6 conference teams are worse than 15/16 seeds. Simply that auto qualifying shitty 15/16 seeds should not have additonal play in games so that we can squeeze in more mediocre power 6 conference teams.
add to this that the tourney is not set up to determine the best team necessarily. i.e. just because st peters made the sweet 16 doesn't mean more MAA teams should be invited next year.
Deleted User 863

hoopla wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:19 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:12 am

add to this that the tourney is not set up to determine the best team necessarily. i.e. just because st peters made the sweet 16 doesn't mean more MAA teams should be invited next year.
Exactly.

I wish the tournament was more about determing a true champion and less about maximizing profits by squeezing in as many mediocre power 6 teams as possible.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the mens ncaa basketball tournament is the greatest of all the tournaments.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:17 am There was an argument out there after Thursday that the 5th year of eligibility meant mid-majors were going to fare better, but seems it's about the same as any other season, if not worse for mid-majors.
Without looking at any rosters, it seemed to me like the power conference schools were really the ones who benefitted from the extra year/free transfer ruling. It felt like the best mid-major players transferred to power schools and the guys coming back tried to latch on teams with championship hopes.

Under a normal year, Texas Tech wouldn't have Williams, Santos-Silva, or OBanor (unless he actually graduated from ORU and would be classified as a grad transfer). Half of Iowa State's roster is transfers. Villanova would be without Gillespie and Samuels. Miami doesn't have McGusty or Moore. Carolina doesn't get Manek. And, obviously, Kansas doesn't have Remy, Mitch, JCL, and Yesufu is sitting.

Pretty sure there's some crazy number like of the 300+ players who took advantage of the Super Senior year, only 30 or so went back to their original school.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that sounds right

i don’t think it was during KU’s game, but announcers were talking about it at some point over the past couple days and threw out a similar stat
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I think it was the Loyola game. They had 4 of those 30ish players.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:35 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:17 am There was an argument out there after Thursday that the 5th year of eligibility meant mid-majors were going to fare better, but seems it's about the same as any other season, if not worse for mid-majors.
Without looking at any rosters, it seemed to me like the power conference schools were really the ones who benefitted from the extra year/free transfer ruling. It felt like the best mid-major players transferred to power schools and the guys coming back tried to latch on teams with championship hopes.

Under a normal year, Texas Tech wouldn't have Williams, Santos-Silva, or OBanor (unless he actually graduated from ORU and would be classified as a grad transfer). Half of Iowa State's roster is transfers. Villanova would be without Gillespie and Samuels. Miami doesn't have McGusty or Moore. Carolina doesn't get Manek. And, obviously, Kansas doesn't have Remy, Mitch, JCL, and Yesufu is sitting.

Pretty sure there's some crazy number like of the 300+ players who took advantage of the Super Senior year, only 30 or so went back to their original school.
Interesting on the last paragraph. The argument I saw was originally written by Pomeroy and then lately brought up again by Fran.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

It's funny, poaching players from smaller schools vial the portal is going to become something coaches are evaluated on just like recruiting or player development.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:57 am It's funny, poaching players from smaller schools vial the portal is going to become something coaches are evaluated on just like recruiting or player development.
I'm glad we got Remy going.

It's going to be interesting with Yesufu. I have no idea where that is headed--I can see a wide range of end results.
Deleted User 863

I felt better about Yesufu before last weekend. Probably placing too much emphasis on those 2 really stupid turnovers....but he's also been in college 3 years and still plays like a freshman. His attitude keeps me cautiously optimistic. We sort of "need" him to work out. Not many guys available at his position.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm mostly concerned that Yesufu is not a natural ball-handling PG and his perimeter shooting has looked too up and down to develop into an off guard that can consistently knock down shots.

Staff is trying to turn him into an on-the-ball guard--if that doesn't work out, it might just be a bad fit. The new transfer rules change everything.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Even with Gradey Dick, I don't know how you can throw Harris and Yesufu out there for big minutes if they are who they look like right now.