Finding New Shit on TV

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: Finding New Shit on TV

Post by Deleted User 89 »

pdub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:11 pm I like me some Tig Notaro also - though her recent animated special was pretty meh.
i’ve tried multiple times to listen to her and always end up bored because so many of her bits are waaaaay too long
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Gary Gulman is one of my favorite comedians.

(trad talking about long bits made me think of him)

He's probably the best at longform bits, and he's a wordsmith.

If you haven't seen his "State abbreviations" and "Role playing proffessor" stuff you should find it, they're hilarious.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

They had to digitally replace Chris D'Elia with Tig in Army of the Dead -- and she was perfect.
It should have been her all along.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I never got the Chris D'Elia hype.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I didn't either.
But he makes sense for that movie...but not as much as dark horse Tig.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Gaffigan is thee worst
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He's good for me.
Not great.
His Hot Pocket bit had me dying the first time I heard it.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I'll watch any special he puts out.

Dude is ALWAYS hilarious.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Thee worst are your Larry the Cable Guys and Jeff Foxworthy's.
And Gabriel Iglesias and Kevin James.
And then obviously Dane Cook.
And that guy with the puppets.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

larry the cable guy sucks....Foxworthy has a few funny bits

I had free tickets to gaffigan....I dont think I chuckled one time...he was awful. hot pocket in that dumb ass whispering voice is All he has...its his whole career. God he sucks
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:41 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:40 am
TDub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:38 am

this is true. Perhaps I am insensitive, or numb, or just raised in a different time....but the things people continually get offended by (and offended by enough to make a huge display of it) is crazy to me.
i listen to quite a bit of stand-up, and Chappelle’s stuff isn’t anywhere close to the most offensive stuff being thrown around
correct. I love Ron White. He can be very offensive...not too mention people like Andrew Dice Clay...who...is too much for me
So you DO have a line, and it’s somewhere between Ron White and Andrew Dice Clay. Maybe for some people Chapelle is over their line? From your previous statement above (“but the things people continually get offended by (and offended by enough to make a huge display of it) is crazy to me.”) no one should be offended by anything?

Just trying to understand your position here
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think TDub is gonna write Netflix and then stage a protest if there is an Andrew Dice Clay special available.

I think he'd probably just not watch it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

zsn wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:27 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:41 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:40 am
i listen to quite a bit of stand-up, and Chappelle’s stuff isn’t anywhere close to the most offensive stuff being thrown around
correct. I love Ron White. He can be very offensive...not too mention people like Andrew Dice Clay...who...is too much for me
So you DO have a line, and it’s somewhere between Ron White and Andrew Dice Clay. Maybe for some people Chapelle is over their line? From your previous statement above (“but the things people continually get offended by (and offended by enough to make a huge display of it) is crazy to me.”) no one should be offended by anything?

Just trying to understand your position here
I dont personally like Andrew Dice Clay....I dont care if he is on the air though. I would choose not to spend my time watching it.....I also wouldn't spend my time fighting it. Its not so much a "line" as it is what is enjoyable for me. Other people have other tastes and preferences.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

hell, Howard Stern has made a lifetime out if being more "offensive" than anything Dave Chapelle has done. He has 2 Sirius Channels and a love show and a TV show. Good for him, I'm not personally a big fan of Howard Stern.....I also couldn't give less of a shit if others watch him or enjoy him.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:38 pm I don't think TDub is gonna write Netflix and then stage a protest if there is an Andrew Dice Clay special available.

correct
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'm also, most certainly, not going to attend a protest at Netflix headquarters and scream at a guy and break his stuff because he's holding a "I Like Dave" sign
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:48 pm
pdub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:38 pm I don't think TDub is gonna write Netflix and then stage a protest if there is an Andrew Dice Clay special available.

correct
Fair enough. Just trying to calibrate your position. I think these people with views that are offensive to whoever should be on the air so that the rest of us have a baseline of how to deal with them. This why I support the right of White Supremacists to have their parade so the rest of us know who they are and determine for themselves how to deal with them.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'm glad you can calibrate how to deal with me now, based on my acceptable comedy standards.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There is also a difference between employees questioning the decisions of their employers compared to twitter consumers trying to cancel a comedian.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:26 am
ousdahl wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:01 pm I thought the critique of capitalism would be more subtle.

This shit is just like HERES LOTS OF MONEY. It’s just as much commentary on greed and human nature and badass Halloween costumes with PlayStation codes for faces.

(Easter egg: in one scene the faces spell out the code to get the tank in Twisted Metal 2)

But yeah this is ridiculous and entertaining. And ridiculously entertaining. And dubbing isn’t as bad as I thought but now wanna watch with subtitles.
It's first a commentary on Korean society. Or, at best, the negative aspects of Korea's latest approach at capitalism. But, the Korea part cannot be decoupled.

https://twitter.com/quicktake/status/14 ... 02627?s=21