COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:40 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:39 pm Australia's vaccination rate is 42.5%.

Much lower than ours.

Instead of blaming the 20ish% of our population for having vaccine hesitancy, we should ve blaming ourselves (all of us) for not having extreme lockdowns like the countries who have had success have done.

Personally, i don't need a governement enforced lockdown. I chose to get vaccinated and only do things that i consider relatively safe. That's how I have avoided the fungus. Modern medicine mixed with some personal responsibility.
You've been peddling this for a long time. The vaccine hesitant are the same people that were protesting the lockdowns and mask mandates. Let's stop pretending.
im vaccinated. But also pro choice and anti lockdown.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:43 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:39 pm Australia's vaccination rate is 42.5%.

Much lower than ours.

Instead of blaming the 20ish% of our population for having vaccine hesitancy, we should ve blaming ourselves (all of us) for not having extreme lockdowns like the countries who have had success have done.

Personally, i don't need a governement enforced lockdown. I chose to get vaccinated and only do things that i consider relatively safe. That's how I have avoided the fungus. Modern medicine mixed with some personal responsibility.
You've been peddling this for a long time. The vaccine hesitant are the same people that were protesting the lockdowns and mask mandates. Let's stop pretending.
I get that, but illy is making it sound like the anti-vax crowd is out there calling for lockdowns to stop the spread. That is so false.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Though TDub identifies as pro-choice, I wonder how often his vote goes to pro-life candidates anyway, but that’s for another bored
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Much lower than ours.

Our Black and hispanic populations are less vaccinated than our white population....i don't think they're necessarily the ones you're speaking of about refusing lockdowns or masks.

It's not just solely rural white Republicans. Although they make up a large portion of it.

Either way. Can't have your cake and eat it to. Lockdowns stop the spread. Everything else mostly just slows it. As evidenced by our current situation even though we are at our highest vaccination % of the entire pandemic.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:52 pm Though TDub identifies as pro-choice, I wonder how often his vote goes to pro-life candidates anyway, but that’s for another bored
im pro choice pretty much across the board. my vote goes to 3rd party candidates most of the time.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

if only there was as much outrage aimed at tejas actually legislating against personal freedom
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:45 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:43 pm

I get that, but illy is making it sound like the anti-vax crowd is out there calling for lockdowns to stop the spread. That is so false.
No i am not. You are misinterpreting that.

I am making it sound like if you're out here wanting forced vaccinations or denial of medical care to the unvaccinated, but you're not screaming for extreme lockdowns, then you're giving lip service and it's not driven by concern for public health. It's about hate. Hate for the "other side". And not very well thought out hate.

What about the 70yr old black man who refuses the vaccine but has diabetes and has an emergency? Fuck him, right?

I didn't bring up Australia. But the places who have had the success we want (or some pretend to want) have done so in many (most?) instances by locking down. Australia is a prime example.
Deleted User 902

Post by Deleted User 902 »

Much lower than ours.

I don’t even understand his point. The vaccine rate is still ramping up and hasn’t slowed down. They’ve been getting more and more people vaccinated per day instead of US where it’s flattened out. They obviously aren’t in the same supply chain as the US and Europe. Therefore they are about 15-18 points behind the US. Yet the US has a 50x higher number of deaths and cases per 100k (so about 600x worse per the raw numbers). Australia also has a right-leaning govt right now (it’s name the Liberal Party of Australia but it’s right of center).

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coro ... australia/
Last edited by Deleted User 902 on Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I have hated both candidates for 2 straight elections. why would I support either one?

a 3rd party vote isn't a throw away. if more people exercised that option we would have a more successful and well rounded approach to politics and governing.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:00 pm if only there was as much outrage aimed at tejas actually legislating against personal freedom
thats also egregiously bad
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:02 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:00 pm if only there was as much outrage aimed at tejas actually legislating against personal freedom
thats also egregiously bad
Yup.
Deleted User 863

dub needs a codpiece wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:01 pm

Much lower than ours.

I don’t even understand his point. The vaccine rate is still ramping up and hasn’t slowed down. They’ve been getting more and more people vaccinated per day instead of US where it’s flattened out. They obviously aren’t in the same supply chain as the US and Europe. Therefore they are about 15-18 points behind the US. Yet the US has a 50x higher number of deaths and cases per 100k (so about 600x worse per the raw numbers). Australia also has a right-leaning govt right now (it’s name the Liberal Party of Australia but it’s right of center).

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coro ... australia/
My point:

If stopping or slowing the spread is the goal then it requires lockdowns.

Am i in favor of lockdowns? Not really. I can choose to keep myself out of unsafe environments.

But i am not out here peddling refusal of medical service to unvaccinated or whatever methods of "punishing" the "other side" people suggest to force compliance. It's transparent and largely politically driven imo.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Just imagine if covid only affected women
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

TDub wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:56 pm my vote goes to 3rd party candidates most of the time.
hypothetical. say the 2024 vote is down to uncle joe vs. dt. i would vote for the wastepaper basket before i would vote for either of those two.
Deleted User 863

The United States has 38 people per sqaure kilometer.

Australia has 3 people per square kilometer.
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:12 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:56 pm my vote goes to 3rd party candidates most of the time.
hypothetical. say the 2024 vote is down to uncle joe vs. dt. i would vote for the wastepaper basket before i would vote for either of those two.
Yup.

Dems got my vote for Joe last time. If they can't pick someone more capable and mentally sharp then they won't get it next go round.

And if Pubs can't find someone better than Trump then they won't either.

I am done happily picking between 2 idiots.
Deleted User 902

Post by Deleted User 902 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:14 pm The United States has 38 people per sqaure kilometer.

Australia has 3 people per square kilometer.
You do realize that everyone lives in cities in Australia, right? 87% live in urban areas.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

we will have a young, sharp republican vs. a young, sharp democrat in 2024.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:18 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:12 pm
Yup.

Dems got my vote for Joe last time. If they can't pick someone more capable and mentally sharp then they won't get it next go round.

And if Pubs can't find someone better than Trump then they won't either.

I am done happily picking between 2 idiots.
That was my conclusion last election. Couldn't bring myself to vote for Trump again, but also couldn't risk having Kamala as POTUS when Joe lost the last of his marbles.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris