The Worst People in the World...

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: The Worst People in the World...

Post by pdub »

Full on in the poli-talk, if he intends on giving the government more power over the internet by manipulating and then weakening 230, fuck him to the fullest degree more than many of the other degrees.

We want the government to be the ones deciding what we can post on the internet?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

For those who want more info about 230:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/21/1870 ... -interview
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

pdub wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:27 pm Full on in the poli-talk, if he intends on giving the government more power over the internet by manipulating and then weakening 230, fuck him to the fullest degree more than many of the other degrees.

We want the government to be the ones deciding what we can post on the internet?
I DON'T want that at all. But there are two issues here: 1.) Can or should he weaken Section 230; 2.) does the behavior exhibited by Twitter cause it to push the bounds of 230 on its own merit.

The answer to 1. is, obviously, no.

The answer to 2. is probably no, but not exactly clear-cut.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I think it's clear from this: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ium=social that he has the law wrong and the EO will be laughed out of court.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Also, since twocoach seems determined to vomit up word-salad rather than admit that he was wrong about Minneapolis melting down, there's this:

https://kstp.com/kstpImages/repository/ ... 0Final.pdf
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Yes, I am OK with Elizabeth Warren's take on Zuckerberg's position. She highlighted it last year with a fake ad on Facebook and that cowardly weasel Zuckerberg did nothing. I guess as long as the $$$$ keep rolling in all is OK, consequences be damned. Her latest post is nothing new.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/12/tech ... ok-ad.html
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

The problem with both sites is the shear volume of items that would need to be checked. How do you factcheck 100 million tweets?
Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
Image result for number of tweets in a day
500 million tweets
Every second, on average, around 6,000 tweets are tweeted on Twitter, which corresponds to over 350,000 tweets sent per minute, 500 million tweets per day and around 200 billion tweets per year.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Geezer wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:52 pm The problem with both sites is the shear volume of items that would need to be checked. How do you factcheck 100 million tweets?
Search Results
500 million tweets
Every second, on average, around 6,000 tweets are tweeted on Twitter, which corresponds to over 350,000 tweets sent per minute, 500 million tweets per day and around 200 billion tweets per year.
Well then it is impressive that somehow Feral still manages to, not only read them all, but, to also post them here.
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Geezer wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:52 pm The problem with both sites is the shear volume of items that would need to be checked. How do you factcheck 100 million tweets?
Search Results
500 million tweets
Exactly. And if you get into the business of fact-checking some tweets/posts, then you give the impression that those without the fact-check warning are, by definition, true.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Uh ohs.

Before she became a senator and a top contender for former Vice President Joe Biden's vice presidential spot, Klobuchar spent eight years as the Hennepin County attorney, in charge of prosecution for Minneapolis. And while in that position, Klobuchar declined to prosecute multiple police officers cited for excessive force, and did not prosecute the officer who kneeled on Floyd's neck as he protested, The Guardian reports.

Ex-Minneapolis police officer Derick Chauvin saw at least 10 conduct complaints during his 19-year tenure before he was fired Tuesday, according to a database that documents complaints against police. In particular, he was involved in the shooting death of a man who had stabbed other people before attacking police, as well as some other undisclosed complaints. Klobuchar did not prosecute Chauvin and other officers involved for the first death, which occurred in October 2006 while she was running for Senate. The case was under investigation when Klobuchar took office in the Senate in Jan. 2007, and later went to a grand jury, which declined to charge the officers. Chauvin was later placed on leave when he and other officers shot and wounded a Native American man in 2011.

https://news.yahoo.com/amy-klobuchar-de ... soc_trk=tw
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:16 pm
Search Results
500 million tweets
Exactly. And if you get into the business of fact-checking some tweets/posts, then you give the impression that those without the fact-check warning are, by definition, true.
The social media accounts aren't in charge of controlling every single aspect of content. As Geezer said, it's impossible. But as a platform ( or publisher - the lines are pretty thin ), they should, as poli-neutral as they can, link content with extremely high viewership, to content review ( if that's their policy ), and they should be protected for that. In this case, there's a ton of views, and from those views, there's a lot of content generated off of that...a LOT. So of course they should have the right to review that post - and in this case, they aren't editing it, but appending something.

It's completely appropriate in my opinion and smart. You don't have to click the link. His words aren't edited. It's just 'hey, you want more ( actual ) information about this topic, click here'.

It'd be like if a popular poster here said 'Marcus Garrett has died' and made an entire thread about it.
I'd likely take it down because it's a lie. I should have the right to.
But instead, if I cared enough, coded something that would alert the post as likely not factual, that still leaves the content available, but just lets you know, despite the fact this poster gets a lot of attention, well, this post is bullshit.

At the same time, I shouldn't be sued because some poster posted 'Marcus Garrett has died' and left it up for a weekend, and someone got 'really upset about it' and wanted to make money off the trauma it caused them ( emotional trauma, imo, is one of the biggest money makers infested into law but lawyers sure damn love it ).

Otherwise, if this isn't acceptable, the government should create their own social media network, called bullshit.gov, and we can decide if we want to follow that or not. If we like twitter better, well, blame the government for not making something we want to follow/read.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:13 pm
Search Results
500 million tweets
Well then it is impressive that somehow Feral still manages to, not only read them all, but, to also post them here.
This is funny, everyone.
Except, maybe not to Shirley.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:36 pm Uh ohs.

Before she became a senator and a top contender for former Vice President Joe Biden's vice presidential spot, Klobuchar spent eight years as the Hennepin County attorney, in charge of prosecution for Minneapolis. And while in that position, Klobuchar declined to prosecute multiple police officers cited for excessive force, and did not prosecute the officer who kneeled on Floyd's neck as he protested, The Guardian reports.

Ex-Minneapolis police officer Derick Chauvin saw at least 10 conduct complaints during his 19-year tenure before he was fired Tuesday, according to a database that documents complaints against police. In particular, he was involved in the shooting death of a man who had stabbed other people before attacking police, as well as some other undisclosed complaints. Klobuchar did not prosecute Chauvin and other officers involved for the first death, which occurred in October 2006 while she was running for Senate. The case was under investigation when Klobuchar took office in the Senate in Jan. 2007, and later went to a grand jury, which declined to charge the officers. Chauvin was later placed on leave when he and other officers shot and wounded a Native American man in 2011.

https://news.yahoo.com/amy-klobuchar-de ... soc_trk=tw
I mean, there are loads upon loads of potential political candidates who didn't do something or did something to a certain degree that would give them an 'uh oh'.

More degrees than others of course. Didn't stop a certain other.

In the end, it was pretty easy to tell that Chauvin was trash straight from the get go and should have been a. fired and b. charged with something at least...maybe murder?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Last pdub post talking to himself:

There's zero excuse to keep your knee on someone's neck that long if they are on their back and handcuffed I would say unless they had committed some murderous crime.

The guy was being arrested for possible forgery?
Even if he resisted previously, zero excuse - i don't care if he's making your life difficult, he hasn't shown to be a threat to anyone else and i'm sorry, there might be a threat to you, but your life certainly isn't in danger--that power we give also comes with an understanding of wielding it.
The early video evidence showed him subdued - there was several minutes of it - and the officer continued to press his knee on his neck.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Search Results
500 million tweets
That's the facade that the Zuckerbergs of the world hide behind. Here's a situation where the right answer is extremely difficult to come by. Perhaps the removal of the liability protection for social media sites may not be bad after all!

I am tempted to draw analogy to warning labels on cigarette containers in the 80's and 90's. When a plaintiff claimed that they knew of the hazards of smoking the tobacco companies were defending themselves against lawsuits by saying that they actually don't believe that and the big-bad-gubmint is making them do it. Some politician (forget who) said, ok then, let's remove the requirement and let's see how you handle the information you have. If you put the label then you are liable since you are admitting to the product's hazards. If you don't then you are negligent since you know that the product is hazardous and not informing the consumer.

In a similar vein, if the media platforms are suddenly liable for what is said on their sites maybe they will not be so callous. After all a magazine or newspaper would be liable for libel and defamation if such material appeared on their pages, or TV and radio stations for aired content. Of course, usage of media sites will suddenly drop. May not be a bad outcome.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

nm
Last edited by ChalkRocker on Thu May 28, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

pdub wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:54 pm
Search Results
500 million tweets
The social media accounts aren't in charge of controlling every single aspect of content. As Geezer said, it's impossible. But as a platform ( or publisher - the lines are pretty thin ), they should, as poli-neutral as they can, link content with extremely high viewership, to content review ( if that's their policy ), and they should be protected for that. In this case, there's a ton of views, and from those views, there's a lot of content generated off of that...a LOT. So of course they should have the right to review that post - and in this case, they aren't editing it, but appending something.

It's completely appropriate in my opinion and smart. You don't have to click the link. His words aren't edited. It's just 'hey, you want more ( actual ) information about this topic, click here'.

It'd be like if a popular poster here said 'Marcus Garrett has died' and made an entire thread about it.
I'd likely take it down because it's a lie. I should have the right to.
But instead, if I cared enough, coded something that would alert the post as likely not factual, that still leaves the content available, but just lets you know, despite the fact this poster gets a lot of attention, well, this post is bullshit.

At the same time, I shouldn't be sued because some poster posted 'Marcus Garrett has died' and left it up for a weekend, and someone got 'really upset about it' and wanted to make money off the trauma it caused them ( emotional trauma, imo, is one of the biggest money makers infested into law but lawyers sure damn love it ).

Otherwise, if this isn't acceptable, the government should create their own social media network, called bullshit.gov, and we can decide if we want to follow that or not. If we like twitter better, well, blame the government for not making something we want to follow/read.
I'm not sure if that was meant to be a response to me because, if so, almost none of that has anything to do with what I posted.

But then, why should this part of the thread be any different from the rest of it, I guess.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's not directly related to you, no.
Just related to the situation that is likely to become another legal battle that the man you just defended will likely be leading ( or tweeting about leading ).