Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:11 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:10 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:07 pm

But I was told that we had boosters who would happily pay any fee, no matter how large.... people sure love spending rich people's money for them.
I just don't see KU, even OU or UT, ever having to pay that full exit fee.
They would be wise to assume that they will have to until they learn otherwise. No reason for the Big 12 to let any of them off the hook. Why would they?
I agree on your first sentence.

It's not that I think the remaining Big 12 members won't want to enforce the exit fee, I just have major doubts they will have the membership requirements to do so when the time comes. Regardless, that's more than enough money to go to court over and find out if it is even enforceable at that point in time. It could very well be in everyone's best interest to have the early movers pay a heavily discounted buyout.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:07 pm

But I was told that we had boosters who would happily pay any fee, no matter how large.... people sure love spending rich people's money for them.
They would be wise to assume that they will have to until they learn otherwise. No reason for the Big 12 to let any of them off the hook. Why would they?
Of course assume it, but know that you ultimately won't.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:15 pm

It's not that I think the remaining Big 12 members won't want to enforce the exit fee, I just have major doubts they will have the membership requirements to do so when the time comes. Regardless, that's more than enough money to go to court over and find out if it is even enforceable at that point in time. It could very well be in everyone's best interest to have the early movers pay a heavily discounted buyout.
Is there a documented "membership requirement" tied to that fee? What is it?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:24 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:15 pm

Is there a documented "membership requirement" tied to that fee? What is it?
It should be in the contractual agreement, bylaws, etc. For instance, if 9 schools told Bowlsby they decline to extend the GOR, Kansas State couldn't sit there and successfully collect $720 million. At some point, there will be a trigger it's not owed to the remaining members. Read a rumor that it is if 4 teams leave--not sure how accurate. I wouldn't' think it would be more than 5 as I believe the NCAA requirement for conference status is 6.

But a larger point being, this won't be something that is just handed over willingly given the Armageddon circumstances.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think what Vernon is trying to say, and of course assuming his "Hearings" are right, is that KU knows what it wants to do, it thinks it has a path there, but KU is weighing the timing issue because it doesn't have the luxury of announcing a 2025 move now and rolling the dice on the $80 mil. It doesn't sound to me like KU is going to let the money get in the way, but want to play it correctly to try and avoid paying it. That's why an "imminent" announcement is unlikely.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

New AD is from Northwestern right? That can't hurt our chances of getting enough yes votes from big10 schools.

There is really nothing we can announce until the big 10 decides they want us and votes on it. That is going to take time.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:38 pm I think what Vernon is trying to say, and of course assuming his "Hearings" are right, is that KU knows what it wants to do, it thinks it has a path there, but KU is weighing the timing issue because it doesn't have the luxury of announcing a 2025 move now and rolling the dice on the $80 mil. It doesn't sound to me like KU is going to let the money get in the way, but want to play it correctly to try and avoid paying it. That's why an "imminent" announcement is unlikely.
Bingo.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:42 pm New AD is from Northwestern right? That can't hurt our chances of getting enough yes votes from big10 schools.

There is really nothing we can announce until the big 10 decides they want us and votes on it. That is going to take time.
KU probably behind closed doors has a yes. But why rush it? Collect the OU and Texas exit fee, then announce it pretty soon after.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Honestly, even the full $80m seems like a bargain right now because falling out of P4 would really hurt KU.

In fact, I think KU should pay it even to go to the ACC. At least in ACC, you still have a shot at B1G the next time this shit comes back around.
shindig

Post by shindig »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:50 pm Honestly, even the full $80m seems like a bargain right now because falling out of P4 would really hurt KU.

In fact, I think KU should pay it even to go to the ACC. At least in ACC, you still have a shot at B1G the next time this shit comes back around.
Yeah Vernon also mentioned down his tweet that a bunch of big KU boosters were meeting in Wichita. My $500/year to KU probably won't help much, but there are a lot of alums that give a lot more. I have a buddy that runs his own hedge fund in Austin and he donates a half-million a year to KU. I wish I had that kind of cash.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:50 pm Honestly, even the full $80m seems like a bargain right now because falling out of P4 would really hurt KU.

^^^^

but man, i really like the idea of announcing and actually leaving before ut/ou (no matter how unrealistic)
Deleted User 863

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:58 pm

^^^^

but man, i really like the idea of announcing and actually leaving before ut/ou (no matter how unrealistic)
Why? It isn't really a feather in our cap. We all know why the big 12 is dying. Seems like a petty reason to save them 75mil (and probably cost us 75mil).
Deleted User 89

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:18 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:58 pm

^^^^

Why? It isn't really a feather in our cap. We all know why the big 12 is dying. Seems like a petty reason to save them 75mil (and probably cost us 75mil).
because fuck them, that’s why
Deleted User 863

But it doesn't fuck them at all. It helps them more than anything.

Glad we have cooler heads steering the ship.
Deleted User 89

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:31 pm But it doesn't fuck them at all. It helps them more than anything.

how does it help them?

are you again connecting dots that aren’t there?
Deleted User 863

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:36 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:31 pm But it doesn't fuck them at all. It helps them more than anything.

how does it help them?

They want to leave before 2025, but have said they won't...they did this so that other schools (us) panic and try to make moves first, which will allow them to leave before 2025 and also avoid the buyout penalties.

Connect the dots.
Deleted User 863

It doesn't fuck them at all. It's some fake macho thing you desire so you can say "you didn't leave us we left you!"...even though they've already been unanimously voted into SEC and we are currently begging the big 10 to take us in so we don't get stuck in a conference with Wichita State and Houston.

I bet you had some funny breakups in middle school.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 89

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:39 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:36 pm

how does it help them?

They want to leave before 2025, but have said they won't...they did this so that other schools (us) panic and try to make moves first, which will allow them to leave before 2025 and also avoid the buyout penalties.

Connect the dots.
you’re making assumptions again

KU leaving early doesn’t change the buyout scenario
Deleted User 863

Yes it does. There is no buyout penalty if Texas and OU wait until 2025. That is when the contract expires.

If we leave first, before 2025, and the big12 doesn't dissolve before, then all indicators are that there will absolutely be penalties. Someone shared a tweet stating just that earlier. You may have missed that while you were trying to speak for Qusdahl in other threads.