2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Post by ousdahl »

I think this has been asked, but are there any examples of college students being prohibited from earning money while attending college?

(besides the (now obsolete) student ath-o-lete model…)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We've covered this I think multiple times before.
Here's one round of it I found:

viewtopic.php?p=120685#p120685
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:03 pm We've covered this I think multiple times before.
Here's one round of it I found:

viewtopic.php?p=120685#p120685
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:15 am well, "we've professionalized the college student" just seems to undermine the whole idea that college is meant to prepare you for a professional career.

it was meant to be some reference to the common refrain in this thread that the only college students who are no longer allowed to be college students if they pursue opportunities in the professional markets for which they are trained are the *checks notes* student ath-o-letes.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Chris Johnson to Texas, apparently.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Cuffe can’t catch a break…just broke his hand
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:17 pm Chris Johnson to Texas, apparently.
So Johnson and Morris just traded places.
surly

Post by surly »

tang has the cat signal up with the two wvu guys in manhappy today. could mean both will be emaw. know soon enough.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

omg not the cat signal!

is that when their ears stick up our if the litterbox they got stuck in?
Just Ledoux it
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I think that's when a tom backs up to something and sticks up its tail and sprays it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think its interesting listening to Dave McCormack and Mitch Lightfoot talk about NIL. They both lean more towards pdub and I's take on it moreso than the prevailing opinion here. "Free Agency", "diminishing the quality of college sports", "not so much about the love of the school or the game anymore", "guys are leaving schools to go somewhere else even though they get leas playing time...just because the money is better", "can't blame the players but its not necessarily helping the game" etc...

Also interesting that, because they arent "employees" their taxes aren't withheld and they are required to file and pay their own taxes with the IRS. They were saying that Kansas is trying to get tax experts in to help the kids but a lot of schools aren't....and almost none of these kids understand this process. A lot of these kids are getting the checks deposited and spending it or doing whatever....and don't have any left for the 30% taxes they owe on what they made....
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

there are no free lunches. of course the children need to pay their taxes. just like the rest of us. hd can afford to pay a tax expert.

do we really need to spoon feed these semi pros.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:04 pm there are no free lunches. of course the children need to pay their taxes. just like the rest of us. hd can afford to pay a tax expert.

do we really need to spoon feed these semi pros.
Do we need to? No. But it's just one more little incentive for why it's better to be a Jayhawk. We will get you paid and help make sure you don't get screwed by the government if you aren't tax savy

The average 18-22 year old is not tax savy
Last edited by randylahey on Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Tax saxy.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

that's what you guys got out of that? that of course there are taxes and it will help kansas because we have a Tax expert?

not the fact that many of these athletes....especially those that make money in college but never hit the pros.. will/end up in major debt because of taxinf that either isn't explained to them or understood by them?

I thought you guys cared about the athletes, wanted to make sure they got their due yadda yadda....

same people that want to cancel student debt because the loans aren't properly explained or understood by the students.....
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:14 am I think its interesting listening to Dave McCormack and Mitch Lightfoot talk about NIL. They both lean more towards pdub and I's take on it moreso than the prevailing opinion here. "Free Agency", "diminishing the quality of college sports", "not so much about the love of the school or the game anymore", "guys are leaving schools to go somewhere else even though they get leas playing time...just because the money is better", "can't blame the players but its not necessarily helping the game" etc...

Also interesting that, because they arent "employees" their taxes aren't withheld and they are required to file and pay their own taxes with the IRS. They were saying that Kansas is trying to get tax experts in to help the kids but a lot of schools aren't....and almost none of these kids understand this process. A lot of these kids are getting the checks deposited and spending it or doing whatever....and don't have any left for the 30% taxes they owe on what they made....
I think this is where there's so much noise from so many things happening at once - specifically, NIL and the portal.

I think the portal does far, FAR more "damage" to the on-court product than NIL (of course, I admit that in my concept of the world, NIL does not damage the on-court product at all).

And I would note more generally that the NCAA is being hit by a slow-moving train on tracks that have been evident since before the locomotive's smoke was even visible on the horizon. This is EXACTLY where things were always heading, and the NCAA chose to deny reality until reality sat on its face and wiggled.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:33 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:14 am I think its interesting listening to Dave McCormack and Mitch Lightfoot talk about NIL. They both lean more towards pdub and I's take on it moreso than the prevailing opinion here. "Free Agency", "diminishing the quality of college sports", "not so much about the love of the school or the game anymore", "guys are leaving schools to go somewhere else even though they get leas playing time...just because the money is better", "can't blame the players but its not necessarily helping the game" etc...

I think this is where there's so much noise from so many things happening at once - specifically, NIL and the portal.

I think the portal does far, FAR more "damage" to the on-court product than NIL (of course, I admit that in my concept of the world, NIL does not damage the on-court product at all).

And I would note more generally that the NCAA is being hit by a slow-moving train on tracks that have been evident since before the locomotive's smoke was even visible on the horizon. This is EXACTLY where things were always heading, and the NCAA chose to deny reality until reality sat on its face and wiggled.
I agree that its a confluence of bad and each magnifies the other. I dislike what the portal has turned into very much...but I dont think its fair to sweep the ills of NIL into the trash heap of the portal and call it one. The NIL has problems all on its own. The coincidental timing of both allows the proponents of each to pass the problems of each onto the other and only display the positives of their preferred topic.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

these kids want all the cool stuff that comes with being a pro.

some businesslike adult stuff also comes with it. if they are not equipped.
surly

Post by surly »

noteworthy that ku and uk fans don't care for the nil. ironic actually. cal even has a fix. he would know about pay for play, i'll give you that. :lol:

https://thebrunswicknews.com/sports/nat ... 0athletics.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

if rich dudes want to pay the children to play, what do I care. ain’t my money.
surly

Post by surly »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:20 pm if rich dudes want to pay the children to play, what do I care. ain’t my money.
like much of today's culture - no harm, no foul. of course, lots of folks take exception to that rule.