The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by ousdahl »

Ah, right on.

And speaking of redwoods/sequoias, this is a cool article about trying to clone the heartiest specimens to curb climate change:

https://www.wzzm13.com/amp/article/news ... 198fb8404b
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess I was under the impression they only grow in the right conditions in CA.

but go figure, they can apparently grow lots of places. Of course, it could be a while til they reach Cali old growth sizes.

But man do I like the idea of planting a bunch in like some nice little midwestern yard, so that like 1800 years from now some suburbanite is like HOLY BALLS
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Your impression is correct. They do need special conditions. They get most of the water through the fog condensation on the leaves. They also have very shallow root system. So, they can’t grow anywhere that is not wind sheltered - that’s why they grow in canyons on the coastal ranges
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Next time many of you travel to Lawrence, if you are a fan of Terrebonne Po Boy’s, it will be relocated to Mass Street (845), close to Papa Keno’s. Old Pedestrian Cheese (Pennie Annie’s) location.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Tonight my wife and I were walking down the street and someone stopped me because of my Jayhawk shirt and said "You went to Kansas?! Me too!". Had to explain I grew up in Kansas and have always been a huge fan, but no, not an alum, but, yeah, still was a cool experience that you don't expect while walking down the street in Ra'anana, Israel. Had a nice conversation with the guy.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Mjl wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:18 pm Tonight my wife and I were walking down the street and someone stopped me because of my Jayhawk shirt and said "You went to Kansas?! Me too!". Had to explain I grew up in Kansas and have always been a huge fan, but no, not an alum, but, yeah, still was a cool experience that you don't expect while walking down the street in Ra'anana, Israel. Had a nice conversation with the guy.
Nice!
I had a similar experience in the "old city". I was wearing a KU shirt as was another tourist. Of course we stopped and chatted.
Not long after, I was shocked to walk by a t-shirt place and see a Hebrew Jayhawk shirt. Yes, I bought it.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Just back home from Sanibel Island, Florida late last night. A great trip with the family. It was very enjoyable and we are already planning our return. Definitely "offseason" as it was crazy hot and humid but not bad enough that we weren't able to do everything we wanted. Fun trip but glad to be back home.

Saw a few KU shirts in airports going both ways but none while was down there. One of the few times I haven't seen a Jayhawk shirt while I was on a vacation.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

how were the airports?

flying to Tucson tomorrow for work. driving down to the boot heel of New Mexico, then to Scottsdale…not looking forward to it at all
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Master of the obvious here but just a reminder.....
Don't make a hotel reservation on-line until after you call the hotel and see if you can/will get a better rate.
Going to LA for a week in September. On-line price was about $100 per night more than when I booked it with a reservations person at the hotel over the phone.

Meanwhile, I am going to DC next week. Booked the hotel room with "points". NEVER had to pay for parking at this hotel in the past. Now they are telling me I have to. I asked how many points I would need to use to cover the parking. They said no amount of points would cover it. Why not?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i used to love traveling/flying, but i swear this might be one of my least favorite things to do anymore (dealing with airports, not the traveling generally)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:00 pm how were the airports?

flying to Tucson tomorrow for work. driving down to the boot heel of New Mexico, then to Scottsdale…not looking forward to it at all
I had no problems at the airports other than one delay of about an hour on our last flight coming home. Both flights on the way there were right on time. We also got delayed for about 10 minutes in Fort Myers, FL because animal control had to remove an alligator from the runway but that's not an "airport" problem.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Lordsburg, NM…aka, shithole USA

seriously, i’ve been to some down and out towns (a number of them in NM), but this has gotta be one of the worst

rehab central in the parking lot, complete with bad ink and meth mouth

good times…
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I love NM, would love to retire there, but after checking out gooooogle maps, it ain't gonna be in Lordsburg.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Oof, gross
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Beav's parents retired to Las Cruces

I guess for no other reason than golf is cheap and the season is long.

NM is the one western state I've never been to. Part of me feels like I'm missing out, but part of me wonders if it's largely a butthole of a state now.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I've been to the Cimarrons and the Taos mountains and it was very scenic.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

isn't there a Cimarron KS?

one time in college I was all gushered at a house party. Get the idea to climb up on the roof and smoke some of this shit hawklin hooked me up with.

get up there, and there's already some redhead up there doing the same thing. Says she's from some bumfuck western KS town called Cimarron. We blaze up and check out the stars together. it was chill.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

everything you need to know about nm can be learned from watching breaking bad.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I always thought Los Pollos Hermanos seemed like some tasty chicken.