The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
DrPepper

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by DrPepper »

Lordsburg, NM has a tourism department. Apparently to promote the 12 hotels because you most likely are just passing thru on your way to somewhere else.
I learned that Lordsburg is the birthplace of the official New Mexico State song, O Fair New Mexico. It also noted that she was blind. I am not making this up.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Probably fine people there that wish they didn't have to deal with outsiders.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I bet Tradition is there in one of the hotel lobbies throwing a tantrum about early checkin.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Las Cruces is nice, the Organ Pipe Mountains are a spectacular sight. White Sands is nearby and you can take a day trip to Carlsbad Caverns which is incredible. I do not recommend going down there in July, it is hot. A tourist wandered off a trail in White Sands a couple of weeks ago and evaporated. He had only gone a couple of miles and probably got disoriented.

Northern NM is nice year round. Antonito/Conejos CO are the next best thing to being in NM. San Luis is on my to do list.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

New Mexico is actually pretty badass.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:34 am Probably fine people there that wish they didn't have to deal with outsiders.
We drove through NM during the beginning of the pandemic, and we were shocked how locked down it was.

There were towns that had their exits off the interstate blocked off. All restaurants were closed. It was surreal
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:06 am everything you need to know about nm can be learned from watching breaking bad.
So you've been there? What parts?
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

he saw all 5 seasons plus El Camino
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I saw one episode of the Soprano's. I know everything about NJ.
Defense. Rebounds.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:06 am everything you need to know about nm can be learned from watching breaking bad.
Sums you up perfectly
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:12 pm I saw one episode of the Soprano's. I know everything about NJ.
New Jersey is, by a good distance, the worst of the 4 states that begin with New.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

That's like saying that everything you need to know about MI can be learned from watching "8 Mile".
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Overlander wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:00 pm
DrPepper wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:34 am Probably fine people there that wish they didn't have to deal with outsiders.
We drove through NM during the beginning of the pandemic, and we were shocked how locked down it was.

There were towns that had their exits off the interstate blocked off. All restaurants were closed. It was surreal
I took this photo in June 2020, it was one of my early trips out to the Empire. I had been driving all day and was planning on getting a week of demolition done all by my lonesome. One of the most eerie things I have ever seen. Everything in town was shut down except for the grocery and the liquor store. And neither of those places was excited about an out of towner showing up. This was before they knew I had been sent by God.

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:20 am I love NM, would love to retire there, but after checking out gooooogle maps, it ain't gonna be in Lordsburg.
retire to Portal, AZ…fucking amazing

if i wasn’t traveling i’d fuck with trying to post pics. google it though, particularly Cave Creek. i explored some forest service roads this morning and completely forgot that i was about an hour from mexico

speaking of…highway was loaded with border patrol this evening. coyotes must’ve been active
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:32 am Lordsburg, NM has a tourism department. Apparently to promote the 12 hotels because you most likely are just passing thru on your way to somewhere else.
I learned that Lordsburg is the birthplace of the official New Mexico State song, O Fair New Mexico. It also noted that she was blind. I am not making this up.
bs…there’s not 12 hotels/motels here. i don’t care what their website says
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Overlander wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:58 am New Mexico is actually pretty badass.
i agree with this whole-heartedly

every state (except michigan) has its pock marks
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:11 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:20 am I love NM, would love to retire there, but after checking out gooooogle maps, it ain't gonna be in Lordsburg.
retire to Portal, AZ…fucking amazing

if i wasn’t traveling i’d fuck with trying to post pics. google it though, particularly Cave Creek. i explored some forest service roads this morning and completely forgot that i was about an hour from mexico

speaking of…highway was loaded with border patrol this evening. coyotes must’ve been active
Bisbee Az, one of my favorite places
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I have never been to Arizona or New Mexico. I’m sure there is magnificent beauty and an amazing ecosystem that has figured out how to survive there. I rely on a steady supply of water and food so I have not sought that area out to live in. Give me abundant water in all its forms.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Any recommendations for Dubai?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »