Mjl

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by Mjl »

Those reviews are quite entertaining
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

so, sat next to a photographer at dinner last night who just happened to be from Lordsburg

he starts talking about how NM has the highest suicide rate in the country, and that Hidalgo Co. has the highest rate in the state. the other guy that was sitting with us (from Ohio) starts asking why, and i shit you not, the photographer says “have you seen Lordsburg?”

anyway…Chiricahua Nat’l Monument is absolutely amazing (even in 100 deg + heat). i’d not been before, but thrilled that i took the time to check it out. it’s also got a fascinating history…first settled by a family of European settlers (from Scandinavia). eventually, everyone died or moved away except for the matriarch, who took over the property and turned it into a guest ranch (original buildings still standing). she was also apparently instrumental in getting the property protected and turned into a monument

http://npshistory.com/publications/chir/index.htm

cool place, and likely still so cool because it’s so far outta the way. it’s got a fascinating geological history as well, being an extinct volcano/caldera. the rock formations look a lot like Bryce Canyon, but instead of sandstone the rock is an ash concretion

if you’re ever in Tucson, it’s worth the 2 hr drive
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:53 pm Any recommendations for Dubai?
I was not a huge fan. Just so much inauthentic man-made glitz and glamour that is modeled after things elsewhere in the world. Like Vegas on a much bigger scale but without the partying and gambling. I would have probably liked it a bunch more if we would have had time for desert experiences. If I were to return, I'd spend at least a night or two at a resort like Al Maha that is in the desert.

But that said, you can get luxury experiences for a fraction of the price it would be in the US and parts of Europe. True 5* hotels for like less than $200 a night. Do some pool time at the hotel. Get lounge access and do the huge breakfasts. Do the touristy stuff. Burj Khalifa, Burj al-Arab for high tea, the mall, boat tours, etc. then get to the desert and do some sand dune rides. I would get bored after 3 days max.

Cabs are way cheaper than uber. They should all take credit cards, but they operate on the cell phone networks and you could run into some technical difficulties with that, so have a little bit of cash.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Thanks CnB. We're doing three nights, one of the days being an all-day tour to Abu Dhabi, so sounds like a good amount of time in Dubai, based on what you're saying.

Problem I have been having is figuring out where to stay. 5-star hotels near the mall and Burj Khalifa with enough space for the kids is actually pretty expensive... but I have heard from you and others that 5-star hotels kind of ARE the Dubai experience. We could instead rent an apartment in that area with views of Burj and the fountain and with plenty of space for around 300 a night. Or we could stay in a five star but not in that location. I can't figure out which way to go.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Burj Khalifa?

I'd rather check out Mia Khalifa.

tho, among other things, decidedly not kid-friendly.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:11 am Thanks CnB. We're doing three nights, one of the days being an all-day tour to Abu Dhabi, so sounds like a good amount of time in Dubai, based on what you're saying.

Problem I have been having is figuring out where to stay. 5-star hotels near the mall and Burj Khalifa with enough space for the kids is actually pretty expensive... but I have heard from you and others that 5-star hotels kind of ARE the Dubai experience. We could instead rent an apartment in that area with views of Burj and the fountain and with plenty of space for around 300 a night. Or we could stay in a five star but not in that location. I can't figure out which way to go.
Abu Dhabi is a good idea.

We stayed both on Palm Jumeirah and really close to Burj Khalifa. If doing it over again, I'd probably stay out on one of the Palms again or near like Jumeirah Beach to get the views of the sea, better pools, and you can see Burj Khalifa from any high rise. Traffic was not bad at all to get to the mall area, and you'll probably only go down there only once to knock all that stuff off the list.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mrs. 99 and I are driving to KC this weekend. Glad it will be nice and warm.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Only a few degrees cooler than Dubai.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Driving to KC tomorrow. Mrs. 99 hasn't even thought about starting to pack. She takes hours to pack. 1st, the must decide on which luggage to use. This is probably 30 minutes or so and involves me running upstairs to the storage room several times. Then she'll load it, change her mind on a bunch of stuff. Reload it, rinse, repeat. Forever. At some point, I'll need to swap out the luggage again.

Took me less than 5 minutes. I'm ready, let's go.

It will be a struggle to get her in the car in the morning. I use phrases such as, "Burnin' daylight", she loves that one, and "Train leaves at 6, be on it". Then I start singing "On the Road Again". I think this is way funnier than she does.

Once we leave, we'll have to come back for something she forgot. Never fails. The one time I refused to turn around she went full illy and wouldn't let it go until I stopped at a Wal-Mart in Louisville. It would have been faster to turn around, we burned more than an hour at the Wal-Mart.

It's kind of become our thing. It's just the way this is done. Of course. we both agree that I have no faults.

Wait, I think she's starting to pack.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s weird to say

and as weird as it is

all I can say right now is

I’ve never not had a fantastic time in Milwaukee.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:24 am It’s weird to say

and as weird as it is

Proof you can have a "fantastic time" anywhere as long as you are with the right people (or by yourself) doing the right thing/s?
Let's be honest, Milwaukee might as well be St. Louis and vice versa.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Long post I'm not expecting anyone to read but am hoping someone does - and responds.....

I'm having a HUGE debate/dilemma with myself if I should travel in mid September.
I take an annual pilgrimage to California. Used to be in December/January but now it's Spetemberish.
Had originally planned to go to see the Taylor Hawkins tribute concert. Dumbass me didn't jump on a ticket when I had the chance and now it's all but impossible to get tickets. Family wasn't pleased with me being that I would miss a Jew holiday - but claimed they would get over it if it made me happy. I felt guilty - as I probably should have.
I then decided to plan the trip the week earlier to appease them and relieve myself of guilt.
Cool, but not much going on in the LA area other than the Rams are playing and if I so chose, I could see Dave Matthews perform at the Hollywood Bowl - but I am not a big fan of HIM and his band. I suppose the atmosphere would make up for that.

Part of my "dilemma" is not wanting to deal with potential (probable?) canceled/delayed flights, lost luggage, LA county mask requirements (not a big deal but still not "fun"), etc., etc., but here is where I can use other's advice. What UNUSAL but not too extreme thing/s can I do in the LA area that don't require me to drive? I have a bizarre condition that prevents me from being able to drive in mountains or even "hills". It's very limiting and frustrating. Heck, there is even a small stretch on the PCH that I struggle with driving from Santa Monica to Malibu but I am able to fight through it.
Had an incredibly tough time near Redando Beach last year. Didn't know if I could drive through a small area and got to the point where I pulled over and debated if I should turn around or ask someone to drive my car to get me through my conundrum. I discovered an alternative route that I managed to get through.

Yes, I would consider hiring a driver for a day if I had somewhere special to go and felt it was worth it.
Any suggestions?
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Does it have to be LA? Lots of cool cities on the West Coast. SD, SF, Seattle, Portland.
Defense. Rebounds.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

LA is the worst of the 5 west coast cities.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Deleted response to 99 and responded directly to it.
Last edited by RainbowsandUnicorns on Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Cascadia wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:37 am LA is the worst of the 5 west coast cities.
To each their own.
I don't love the city of LA and I don't spend much time in the city of LA.
I do love parts of the LA area and enjoy spending time there.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:24 am Does it have to be LA? Lots of cool cities on the West Coast. SD, SF, Seattle, Portland.
Great question! No, it doesn't have to be. I love SD and SF.
Wouldn't hurt to explore somewhere new/I haven't been but I need a low key, not much agenda, relax at a pool and the beach vacation, more than a trip.
Part of my affection for the LA area is my familiarity. I'm happy there and know my way around. Have my usual haunts that I enjoy. Somewhat embarrassed to admit I have a tradition. When I get off the plane, get my luggage, and then am either in my rental car or have a driver driving to the hotel, I say to myself - "I'm home".
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I like LA but I do think it's partly because it gets shit on so much.

Good weather but most importantly for me, interesting food options. The food is worth dealing with the other stuff--there are better beaches, better cities, and way better transportation elsewhere, but places like Portland OR, San Diego, Phoenix, most midwest cities, etc., this brewery and new american/european food movement just gets a little flavor bland after awhile and resembles any other city. Immigration has made LA interesting.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:24 am It’s weird to say

and as weird as it is

Not a bad 1-2 night visit in the summer. Weather, beer, easy to get around b/c it's small. Chicago and Minneapolis take on too many summertime tourists for Milwaukee to get big enough for anything longer.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:47 am I like LA but I do think it's partly because it gets shit on so much.

Good weather but most importantly for me, interesting food options. The food is worth dealing with the other stuff--there are better beaches, better cities, and way better transportation elsewhere, but places like Portland OR, San Diego, Phoenix, most midwest cities, etc., this brewery and new american/european food movement just gets a little flavor bland after awhile and resembles any other city. Immigration has made LA interesting.
Man, I tell you. Went to San Diego a few weeks back. Had some Mexican food straight from people who came over from Tijuana and built their own place. It was absolute fire.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG