The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:09 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:47 am I like LA but I do think it's partly because it gets shit on so much.

Good weather but most importantly for me, interesting food options. The food is worth dealing with the other stuff--there are better beaches, better cities, and way better transportation elsewhere, but places like Portland OR, San Diego, Phoenix, most midwest cities, etc., this brewery and new american/european food movement just gets a little flavor bland after awhile and resembles any other city. Immigration has made LA interesting.
Man, I tell you. Went to San Diego a few weeks back. Had some Mexican food straight from people who came over from Tijuana and built their own place. It was absolute fire.
Very true. Been to SD more than anywhere else in CA and the real Mexican food is the best thing to eat there. Did not mean to disparage that aspect of it. Tijuana also had great street food when I went many years ago.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The drinking culture of WI is just so rad.

I roll into town on a Monday just passing through to catch up with some old KU buddies. As of 5pm two of them are still hungover from an apparently big Sunday. The occasion: a daughter’s 3rd birthday party. Cuz why wouldn’t you get hammed for that.

We go to the fair and are just pounding Miller lite tallboys and cheese curds. I was curious to try a cream puff, but didn’t. That’s the stuff 10 year old me would have been obsessed with, but nowadays I’m all 99 about sugar.

After the fair, despite my suggestion to call it a night cuz I gotta be up early for a big drive, we can’t not go to the bars. And we can’t not just go have one more, we gotta shut those fuckers down. On a random Monday cuz why the fuck not, it’s Milwaukee.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I usually stop over in Madison when driving up to see the kid/grandkids. Always have a good time there. And always rocking a Jayhawk shirt.
Defense. Rebounds.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Heading back to the US in a couple days.

Tel Aviv is a city I'd recommend to pretty much anyone. It's basically a classier, less-rainy version of Miami - a coast of endless beaches and hotels, always warm (both the air and the water), a very vibrant nightlife, awesome restaurants (Tel Aviv wins that one easily, actually), most people speak English, and you see the occasional Orthodox Jew walking down the street. There's a ton of stuff to do regardless of whether you're a couple or traveling with kids - but better without kids.

It's also quite secular and international. There's an expression - in Jerusalem you pray, in Tel Aviv you play. It's very true. But, if you're into old history, you're a pretty short drive or train ride from awesome archaeological sites often thousands of years old. It ranges from the Israel Museum in Jerusalem which holds some of the oldest archaeological finds ever (like the earliest piece of art ever found), and 7 exhibits worth, to the Western Wall (which was from the second temple - but there's some wall from the first temple and King David's palace around too, which is like 3000 years old) - to stuff that's still being discovered. We went to a place north of Tel Aviv where we watched the archaeologists working, and one came up and showed us a 1000 year old ring with the stone still intact that they had just found. And the wine press there just had shards of pottery and glass all over the ground from a thousand years ago.

The entire country is pretty amazing - but Tel Aviv is really the thing I'd recommend to everyone.

Then there's UAE - which is... interesting. Vegas comparisons are pretty accurate. Except glitzier, much better service, safer, and less gambling and drinking. So, I guess just the over-the-top stuff - and the fountain show. Service there is over-the-top friendly, which, actually, is the opposite of Israel. Speaking of which - hearing every airport employee in an Arab Muslim country greeting us with "Shalom" from disembarkment all the way through customs was really, really cool. As much as I can't stand Trump, the Abraham Accords were meaningful.

Anyway - I really have no idea what to think overall of UAE. They have this concept of brunch that's awesome, and a version for families too. Basically you get a super-fancy all-you-can-eat buffet, unlimited drinks for those who choose to do so for a reasonable price, and all kinds of entertainment. It was kinda bizarre, but my entertained children and alcohol/food-enjoying wife enjoyed it.

And Abu Dhabi is probably some people's idea of heaven and others' idea of hell. Specifically the Presidential Palace and Grand Mosque. They're the fanciest places I have ever seen in my life, by FAR. Just obscenely expensive. And then you realize that's all coming from oil money while people are struggling to afford to fill their gas tanks, and it kinda makes you want to puke.

Not sure why I wrote as much about the place I went for three days as I did about the place I spent the whole summer. whatevs.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

So, Prudhoe Bay.

Bleak as fuck……
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

is that where you went in AK?

why?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Going to swim in the Arctic. Spent the last two days in and around Gates of the Arctic.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:42 pm is that where you went in AK?

why?
Right?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:41 pm So, South Bend

Bleak as fuck……
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:06 pm Going to swim in the Arctic. Spent the last two days in and around Gates of the Arctic.
is this a bucket list thing?

obviously to each their own, but i hope you’re seeing more than just the Arctic Sea coastline while you’re up there
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Not really a bucket list thing, my friend said he wanted to see the Arctic Ocean. I said, fuck it, why not, I’m in.

Dalton Highway is pretty incredible.

Took a flight tour over Gates of the Arctic, landed on a lake and hiked around for half a day.

Still have 40 some hours of exploring until I head back home.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:13 pm Took a flight tour over Gates of the Arctic, landed on a lake and hiked around for half a day.
now THAT sounds phenomenal
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:03 pmThen there's UAE - which is... interesting. Vegas comparisons are pretty accurate. Except glitzier, much better service, safer, and less gambling and drinking. So, I guess just the over-the-top stuff - and the fountain show. Service there is over-the-top friendly, which, actually, is the opposite of Israel. Speaking of which - hearing every airport employee in an Arab Muslim country greeting us with "Shalom" from disembarkment all the way through customs was really, really cool. As much as I can't stand Trump, the Abraham Accords were meaningful.

Anyway - I really have no idea what to think overall of UAE. They have this concept of brunch that's awesome, and a version for families too. Basically you get a super-fancy all-you-can-eat buffet, unlimited drinks for those who choose to do so for a reasonable price, and all kinds of entertainment. It was kinda bizarre, but my entertained children and alcohol/food-enjoying wife enjoyed it.

And Abu Dhabi is probably some people's idea of heaven and others' idea of hell. Specifically the Presidential Palace and Grand Mosque. They're the fanciest places I have ever seen in my life, by FAR. Just obscenely expensive. And then you realize that's all coming from oil money while people are struggling to afford to fill their gas tanks, and it kinda makes you want to puke.

Not sure why I wrote as much about the place I went for three days as I did about the place I spent the whole summer. whatevs.
I know what you mean--was only in Dubai for 3 days and I could write at least a couple of pages about it. Easy to see why when it is literally modeled after every other place in the world yet but you are very aware of it feeling both western and Arab. The over the top service and wealth, being a safe country, and then coupled with the ugly truth of being built on slavery in modern times.

There are several other countries where it feels like a mix of old society vs. new society because the country is both very young and very old. e.g. the eastern countries that have recently become democracies. Makes them hard to describe in a sentence or two.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Dubai, and to a slightly lesser extent the other components of the UAE, are also responsible for keeping the economy of several States in India from completely collapsing. The over-the-top service and the infrastructure built on what you term “modern slavery” has the overpopulation of the Indian subcontinent to thank. It’s actually an oxymoronic “voluntary servitude” that is in effect. There’s clear delineation of work and responsibilities. All menial jobs: Bangladeshi and Pakistani. Most unskilled labor: Sri Lankan and North Indian; semiskilled labor: uneducated South Indian. Managers: educated South Indian. Nurses: Filipino and South Indian women.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

zsn wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:25 pm Dubai, and to a slightly lesser extent the other components of the UAE, are also responsible for keeping the economy of several States in India from completely collapsing. The over-the-top service and the infrastructure built on what you term “modern slavery” has the overpopulation of the Indian subcontinent to thank. It’s actually an oxymoronic “voluntary servitude” that is in effect. There’s clear delineation of work and responsibilities. All menial jobs: Bangladeshi and Pakistani. Most unskilled labor: Sri Lankan and North Indian; semiskilled labor: uneducated South Indian. Managers: educated South Indian. Nurses: Filipino and South Indian women.
I was mostly referring to the construction trade, as you suggest.

One of the things I really appreciated was how much of a melting pot it was. Really great and friendly service industry from all over the world. Like Vegas or a cruise ship, but nicer, and better at their jobs.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’m at the Denver airport, where you at Ousy?

Also, medical issue on my fight was entertaining. 90% sure it was a near overdose situation.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dang. Ran to a local creek for a quick evening session only to realize I got a nail in my tire. Currently at the garage trying to get a repair
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I'm here for you, brother. Just arrived at the Empire.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Thanks bro.

But not sure how mobile currently am…just realized I got a flat tire, go figure
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

This is great - especially because he responded to the tweet.

https://twitter.com/FlavorFlav/status/1 ... 6411285504
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.